To trim or not to trim...

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mazdaj
Approved Member

To trim or not to trim...

Post by Mazdaj »

I'm going to put this here as I'm a Losi freak, but the question pertains to all Lexan painting. What is everyones preference-trim the body before or after painting? I've always trimmed it before-too scared to possibly scratch the paint while trimming to fit. Thoughts?

RedScampi
Approved Member

Re: To trim or not to trim...

Post by RedScampi »

After paint is the best way. I've never had trouble scratching the paint. I use a Dremel for the really close work.
Gary

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I like a close fit. I only trim what I have to. So I asked some pros on another fourm and they agree, trim first then paint. you can see what your doing better their is a lesser chance of mistake. but it also depends on what kind of car your working on, A truck or stock car, onroad you have lots of room to see, I wouldnt try it with a buggy body. I like to see the body post to center up the body befor you drill. I think you will find 90% before 10% after.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I think there are several factors to consider:

1. Are there good cut lines on the body? - I've always thought that the losi cars had good cut lines including the stock body post locations. Becasue of this, I was always confortable cutting the body after I painted them.

When I use to paint pan cars, the bodys were pretty much universal, so there were no cut lines for the rear wheels & body mounts. So I'd be more inclined to fit the body prior to painting.

2. How do you mask your body? - I used liquid mask for all of my bodies mainly because of the paterns I use to paint. Sometimes, it's tough to cut the liquid mask when the body has already been cut (because it flexes more).

3. Do you have the proper tools to cut? - It's very difficult to cut a body using just an xacto knife. Having a dremel with the proper bit will make it easier to cut a painted body because it's less likely to damage the paint.

So foe me, the bottom line is that it depends on the items above....but I prefer paint then cut.

The last thing I would suggest is if you cut after painting, make sure that yuo let the paint cure before doing anything...I know from persomal experience that it's difficult.

Regards,
highwayracer

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I do a close cut before painting. Basically leaving me with some dremel work after I get done painting. I personally don't like masking the bodies with the extra junk hanging off and getting in my way.

I've painted first then cut, but it seems no matter how careful I try to be, the scissors always make a sweep across the inside and scrape a little paint off. You will have to cut in one direction if you do it this way. You'll see what I mean when you start cutting.

You can always try the score/snap method. I dont have that good of a hand to get a good radius with the exacto.... Still end up needing to grind a little.

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

Thanks for the thoughts. I've always used liquid mask whenever possible. I agree with bgniles-those darn lexan scissors always (for me anyway) made the tiny "sweep" scratches. Dremel-most definitely for fine work.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i havent used a pair of lexan scissors in years. i score with a exacto knife and snap the body with ease. just make the score lines (dont need to be terribly deep), then bend the other direction to snap. helps when its cold outside but works in any temp.

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

I use the score and snap method and find it gives 100% improvement in wheel wells and other curved areas. I will never go back to sissors!! :P I also like to trim first to line everything up on the chassis and mark post holes on the outside with a sharpie. Overspray is not a problem if you tape around the outside. :D I have recently made the change to water based paint and LOVE IT!! No fumes and a lot less clean up. Dry erase markers also work great on the outside of the body to try out paterns before you spray!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I've done both and would generally speaking use the trim-first method for newer bodies. But if it is an old body:without overspray film I paint first, then trim. I just do it this way 'cause an ubtrimmed body is lots easier to mask the outside of.

how about the body holes? I hate when they are pre-drilled: always paint going under the film or masking tape.

PS: this kind of subject belongs in the r/c tech-forum

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

I read this yesterday and was curious. I just painted up my umpteenth Grappler for my crawler and I have never cut them before. Reason being as you literally remove half the body to make it fit so your tires won't rub at full articulation. I painted it with 13 different FasKolor paints and liquid mask. I rough cut the arches and then tried the dremel with a drum on a spare piece. Cut it smooth with some overlay of paint. So I decided to do the whole thing and it worked flawlessly. So with Faskolor I say it works to cut afterward.
35 years of RC and still broke!

wts873
Approved Member

Post by wts873 »

the reason I cut before is you can see alot better where you need to trim. After I trim I add 2" masking tape around the edges on the outside for overspray. Cutting before also helps with getting paint where you need it on the tight bodies.

TurboZar22

Post by TurboZar22 »

hey WTS, I do the same thing! I have done that for years, since 1980's. I always cut the body with lexan curved body sissors. Then I mask around the edges with 3m blue tape and also use a papertowel to cover outside of the body to make sure no overspray mist gets on that. Not all bodies have the outer mask. If the holes are not premarked then I will mark them first when body is clear then predrill. Use 3m to cover hole. Never had a problem, I have been painting like this since day 1.Also apply light coats of sprays , dont put a heavy spray or you will get runs! Remember always wash body on the inside first, then I blow dry with heat to prepare body. Then when i'm finished painting I blow dry again to dry. comes out great!

Mikeyboy
Approved Member

Post by Mikeyboy »

I always cut first so that I can see where the body needs to sit on the car. It helps having a clear body to see where your mounts will and where your wheels will sit inside the fenders.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

I find I like to cut first.... and then give to someone else to paint. :lol:

All good advice here tho- it really comes down to personal preference, but like Mikey I have a hard time getting mounts to line up after painting. Just my 2 cents-- there's almost a quarter floating around here. :wink:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

After paint is the best way. I've never had trouble scratching the paint. I use a Dremel for the really close work.
Dremel-most definitely for fine work.
What attachment(s) work the best?
- Brian -

My Gallery