Gold Tub Repair

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brat
Approved Member

Gold Tub Repair

Post by Brat »

Hi guys, got a few qtns to bother you. I've recieved a gold tub with lots of holes drilled for weight lightening. The worst thing is that the chassis is slightly bend upward. Any way to straighten the chassis. Also, any ideas to fill the holes like one of the guy here whom filled the graphite chassis? I've seen Sellery Metal Putty but wonder if it'll work? Thought of filling the holes up and respray the whole thing. Any advise very much appreciated. Thanks.
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

n33no
Approved Member

Re: Gold Tub Repair

Post by n33no »

It might be cheaper to just find a better chassis.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

or slice it and make some good sandwiches...

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Probably have to weld in bits to fill large holes, not really worth it. You can straighten them, I set it up sitting on blocks of wood at each end of the tub part and jump on it.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

The Chassis on my Runner was bent upwards on both ends, and rather than just bend them back down, I actually manipulated the Sides outward a bit. It came out REALLY straight. You can see "before and after" pics here, http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4545 . Worked really well.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

MONSTER wrote:The Chassis on my Runner was bent upwards on both ends, and rather than just bend them back down, I actually manipulated the Sides outward a bit. It came out REALLY straight. You can see "before and after" pics here, http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4545 . Worked really well.
Hi Monster, can you teach me how do you manipulate the sides? I tried with bare hands and they are abit too stiff...Thanks.
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

Well, Im pretty "old school", like Midevial, I used a Vice and a Rag :lol: :lol: . Some of it I had to clamp the sides and bend, others I had to put one of the "creases" in the jaws (like this, ]<[) and "straighten" it, to push down on the front/rear of the Chassis. You can look at it, and experiment using your hands to see what effects different bends will make, then use the Vice/Rag put put enough pressure on it to make it stay.

Did that make any sense? It wasnt too hard to figure out, just give it a try.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

MONSTER wrote:Well, Im pretty "old school", like Midevial, I used a Vice and a Rag :lol: :lol: . Some of it I had to clamp the sides and bend, others I had to put one of the "creases" in the jaws (like this, ]<[) and "straighten" it, to push down on the front/rear of the Chassis. You can look at it, and experiment using your hands to see what effects different bends will make, then use the Vice/Rag put put enough pressure on it to make it stay.

Did that make any sense? It wasnt too hard to figure out, just give it a try.
Hi Monster, i will give it a try but need to buy a big vice though. By the way, have you experienced filling unsightly holes on the chassis? They used to drilled lotsa holes on the chassis to lighten weight. Thanks alot buddy!
My collections:

MONSTER
Approved Member

Post by MONSTER »

No, I actually LOOKED for one with holes to do my Runner. :roll: I wanted it to really look like a Car that had been "Raced" back in the day. Like others have said, unless its a "look" you really want, its probably not worth it.

I guess you could cut it on out, and bolt in another sheet of Alminum (or whatever material you like), like the Carbon Chassis replacement seen in the "The official "lightweight" chassis thread". If you use lighter material, or maybe even thinner Aluminum, it might offset the weight of the Screws used to bolt it in.

Just thinking....outloud(?). :lol:

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

JB Weld to fill the holes?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

A good design but also a expensive one due to the cost of the CF...
My collections: