White parts whiter. here something that works

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ericsp2
Approved Member

White parts whiter. here something that works

Post by ericsp2 »

if you want to clean up you white plastic soak it in napisan I don't know if thats the name of it in the states, heres a link to the product

http://www.vanishstains.co.nz/ -the in wash soaker

I used to own a traxxas blue eagle LS which is basically the electric version of your truck and that is what I used and it always brought the plastic up like new

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: White parts whiter. here something that works

Post by civilguy »

It might be similar to OxiClean in the States. I've never used it - for r/c or cleaning so I couldn't tell you.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

the oxyclean with hot water does wonders when you let the parts sit in a tub for a while. also rubbing alcohol does wonders with the white ball cups. put some on a q-tip and work it into the area that the ball end rides in.

matteo
Approved Member

Post by matteo »

Will any of the common household cleaning agents do any significant harm to the white parts. I've been using a couple mild detergents/cleaners and a brush and haven't had the best of luck yet. Does the alcohol affect the plastic?

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

matteo wrote:Will any of the common household cleaning agents do any significant harm to the white parts. I've been using a couple mild detergents/cleaners and a brush and haven't had the best of luck yet. Does the alcohol affect the plastic?
Standard household cleaning agents, including isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol should not affect the white parts, almost all of which are made from nylon 6/6. The only possible exceptions are bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and any acids, including vinegar.

In general, chlorine, chlorine derivatives such as bleach and chlorinated solvents are not compatible because the chlorine is an oxidizer that can make the nylon brittle. That said, several forum members have tried bleach with some whitening success and no apparent damage.

Robert

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

I can picture that guy going around to an rc10talker's house to take the 'napisan challenge' and they pull out an RC10 :lol:
If anyone's wondering what i'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVUDeAJ7PJM

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

A bmx friend of mine said to leave anything white out in the sun, followed by a light scrub with some water and maybe some mild soap. It works for making old yellowed Tuff wheels and plastic seats white again, it should work for RC car parts. It does wonders for bones. I haven't tried it myself yet, but if I needed whiter parts, that would be the first thing I tried.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:A bmx friend of mine said to leave anything white out in the sun, followed by a light scrub with some water and maybe some mild soap. It works for making old yellowed Tuff wheels and plastic seats white again, it should work for RC car parts. It does wonders for bones. I haven't tried it myself yet, but if I needed whiter parts, that would be the first thing I tried.
I suspect in this case, the sunlight would make things worse. Unless molded with a UV stabilizer, nylon yellows with exposure to UV from the sun, fluorescent lights, etc. Here at work, in our machine shop, we store all our natural (white) nylon in the dark to keep it from yellowing.

I've seen white RC10 parts that were yellow in the original Associated package, just from years of UV exposure on a hobby shop wall.

Robert

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Could well be. I'm not sure what kind of plastic Tuff wheels or plastic seats are made of.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Could well be. I'm not sure what kind of plastic Tuff wheels or plastic seats are made of.
I looked on their website and it says a "nylon composite," so it's some grade of nylon + something(s). Whatever the something is must respond better to light than pure nylon does. It also talks about the "material's superior resistance to UV light," so I bet they also use a UV stabilizer in the mix.

In any case, I like the fact that you can buy Tuff wheels with "old school" colors again :D .

Robert

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Bugle wrote:I can picture that guy going around to an rc10talker's house to take the 'napisan challenge' and they pull out an RC10 :lol:
If anyone's wondering what i'm talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVUDeAJ7PJM
don't those guys pull crazy crap all the time? i remember seeing a couple of dudes from australia or new zealand that would do some funny crap. i think it was a tv show.

transamman908
Approved Member

Post by transamman908 »

soak white parts for 2 days in straight bleach. Then remove from bleach, rub each part with large amounts of go-jo hand cleaner( use liberal amounts as, go-jo is alot cheaper than ae white parts) then rinse under the hottest water you can stand. parts become white again and even more white after they fully dry. I've used this method many times and have not seen a brittle part yet. one small problem is the bleach smell if you don't rinse well. :D
If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

littleVETTE wrote:don't those guys pull crazy crap all the time? i remember seeing a couple of dudes from australia or new zealand that would do some funny crap. i think it was a tv show.
Yeah they're from the tv show The Chaser, you might have seen them on the news there when they tested the security of APEC with a fake Canadian motorcade and got past all the security

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

that was mild compared to some of the stuff i've seen them do. i know i can't mention some of things they've done. remember the one where they test beds naked?

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »