The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Re: The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Thanks mate that was a great read 8)

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

neither bmx nor vintage, but a great ride. I was tired of getting beat-up on my 12 year old hardtail cannondale. I stopped at a local shop and saw this for sale. it was the shop owners, 2 yrs old and in great shape with lots of new parts. only one trail ride on it thus far, but it rides like a dream. I should have gone full suspension years ago.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Nice Cannondale. 8)

I just won this off ebay a couple weeks ago. It's a 1994 Gary Fisher Aquila. I had a black one in college and it was definitely my all time favorite bike. I put so many miles on it. When I moved out east I sold the black bike to my friend in Iowa. I've tried to buy it back since, but he ain't letting it go. So, along comes this green one, it's a solid 9 out of 10 condition, pretty much brand new. It looks like the owner may have used it for one season at the most and put it away. I got it, cleaned and lubed and adjusted it, now I feel like it's 1994 again. At first I wasn't sure if I would be as happy since it wasn't black, but the metallic green is actually a really pretty color on the bike. I definitely didn't need a second mountain bike, but I'm glad I got it. I can't imagine finding one in better condition, unless it's been sitting in it's box since 94.
Attachments
GreenGary.jpg
GreenGary.jpg (139.62 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
GreenGary.jpg
GreenGary.jpg (139.62 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Thats a pretty clean MTB Melvin. Rigid bikes keep you honest.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yeah, it's amazing what a wet rag, some car wax and a little Mother's polish can do. It's got one of the shiniest finishes I've ever seen on a bike. I think I'm going to get some Geax Evolution tires for it, so it rides a little more smoothly on the NYC streets, and leave the rest as-is, nearly bone stock.

Steel, rigid mountain bikes rule, definitely my favorites. I love the way they ride, and I love mid-90's geometry. 8)

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

That look cool :shock: Melvin, this is my 2000 Aquila. It was the last year they made the Aquila model. It is my current ride and I love it. I have upgraded everything on it to today’s standards but I love the geometry of he frame so I don’t think I will ever change it. 8)

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

hello All,

After my RC career, I began mouintain biking in 1992. I've had several builds, but there were 3 that I consider to be my best work. It was easy building RC cars using the best parts because I worked at a hobby shop. I unfortunately brough that philosophy over to my bike builds as well and spent too much. Everything had to match...color, brand, and level of parts. All of the bikes were built between 1993 through 1996.

My first bike "the blue bike" isn't pictured, but I used all blue anodized parts...mostly from Ringle. I wen't through several frames, and I finally settled with a Klein. The final build has not been completed yet. I've got Ringle: Hubs, seat post, quick release, water bottle holders, stem. Kooka downhill cranks, Rock Shocks fork (modified Judy with titainum parts, Reese cartridge).

The next is my Gary Fisher Joshua X. I went with the X because I liked the frame color. I knew that I was going to replace all of the parts, so I didn't care about the parts group that came with the bike. I built the bike with a green / silver / yellow / black theme.

XTR Brakes and Derailures, KOOKA Rings, Race Face forged cranks, King Headset, Reese Terminator rear shock, etc...
gf 1.jpg
gf 1.jpg (85.28 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
gf 1.jpg
gf 1.jpg (85.28 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
gf 2.jpg
gf 2.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
gf 2.jpg
gf 2.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
gf 3.jpg
gf 3.jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
gf 3.jpg
gf 3.jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
The last bike is my GT LTS2000. This is when I was in my Gold and Red anodized phase. Spin Wheelset, King Headset, Kooka Rings, Avid Brake set, Syncros seat post, Kore stuff and Manitou titainium fork.
gt1.jpg
gt1.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
gt1.jpg
gt1.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
gt2.jpg
gt2.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
gt2.jpg
gt2.jpg (51.61 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
gt3.jpg
gt3.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
gt3.jpg
gt3.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Now, back to the important stuff...vintage RC cars.

Regards,
highwayracer

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Hey guys, went camping last weekend and took the bikes. Great time, great riding, now the aftermath. We were in the back country where it's dry and dusty and the bikes are completely hosed from top to bottom. What products do you use for cleaning and lubing chains, sprockets, and all the other intricate parts?
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Give the bike a good once over with the hose. Then, I usually WD-40 the chain and drive train and wipe it all down with a rag. Then, lube it up with some quality chain lube from the local bike shop.

Forgot to post some pics of the completion of my GT Pro Freestyle Tour restoration. Here it is, this was the white bike posted earlier in this thread:
Attachments
PinkPFT4[1].jpg
PinkPFT4[1].jpg (339.91 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
PinkPFT4[1].jpg
PinkPFT4[1].jpg (339.91 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
PinkPFT2[1].jpg
PinkPFT2[1].jpg (337.09 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
PinkPFT2[1].jpg
PinkPFT2[1].jpg (337.09 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

That pink GT is awesome. I've been looking for one of those gt mallet stems to upgrade my dyno, That is one of those things I always wanted but never could afford BITD.

As for cleaning/lube I basically do what Was suggested above. I have found that either WD40 or silicone spray seem to work well.
I use those "dry" chain lubes (white lightning or equivalent) on the chain and all cables and derailleur pivot points. I use the silicone spray on exposed shock shafts to clean/lube them.

The only other product I use on my bike regularly is stans no-tubes for inside the tires. This stuff works great to seal minor punctures while riding. (Tubeless tires rock!)

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

When you lube the chain, do you also lube the sprockets or just let the chain do that?

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

the dry type lubes are a waxy material suspended in a solvent. they go on like any other liquid, but the solvent evaporates leaving behind the solid lubricant. You can put them on anytime, but it is best to give a little while for them to dry to prevent getting the stuff on your right ankle.
I leave the sprokets alone, they don't really need lube beyond what the chain deposits.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Sounds like a plan. Went to the bike shop this morning for the lube and they didn't open for another 1/2 hour. :cry: I'll be washing the bike in the next day or two and then ride over to the shop, since it's only about 7 miles away. There's one closer, however, they don't deserve the business, if you know what I mean.

surferdave71
Approved Member

Post by surferdave71 »

super sweet bike melvin, just need the gt rear steps to finish off the restore to replace those foot pegs.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

surferdave71 wrote:super sweet bike melvin, just need the gt rear steps to finish off the restore to replace those foot pegs.
No way Jose. :lol: I've actually got two pairs of those, in white to match the bike. I don't like them, my heel hits them sometimes when I pedal, and pretty much every time I jump. I'll take pegs over those any day. I had them on my black PFT, with this one's fresh paint, I didn't even put them on and get a mark on the chainstays.