Racer? Modeler? Collector? Hoarder?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tadracket
Approved Member

Re: Racer? Modeler? Collector? Hoarder?

Post by Tadracket »

Halgar wrote:....Have I ever told you guys about the HiLux I snagged not long ago? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I thought you were keeping it on topic? :P

I use to horde but trying to quit. I just don't have the room for it all.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Tadracket wrote:
Halgar wrote:....Have I ever told you guys about the HiLux I snagged not long ago? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I thought you were keeping it on topic? :P
I'm hording it in my model collection ... :wink:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

I'm a racer/hoarder. I was introduced into the hobby through racing and it has been an addiction since. I enjoy running cars in their near original form aside from maybe electronics and tires. As far as being a hoarder, similarly to running current cars, I stock up on lots of suspension and transmission parts (Thank goodness these are still available through tower). Modeling or building alone don't do it for me and as far as collecting goes, anything rare or htf nib would still somehow be opened and find its way on a runner :? so I tend to stay away from those types of parts best left for real collectors :D
Old school racing all the way!

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

I guess I fit the hoarder most. If it is a deal, I'll buy it, doesn't necessarily matter what it is. I have no particular brand loyalty, although I probably have more tamiya than anything, because I think they look cool. I like putting them together, and often don't play with them when I am done, which I guess would fall under modeler. I don't spend tons of cash to make them 100% correct though, incase I decided I wanted to be a little rough with it.

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

I'm probably a small amount of each at the moment. I used to be a big rc racer back when I was a kid and I guess a majority of my current collecting/modeling is to rebuild the cars I had in my youth as Lexan explained. Once I build the cars I had (or wanted, but couldn't afford with an allowance) when I was a kid, then I'll probably cool it on the vintage stuff and just do the modern era stuff that I think is cool.
Keith C

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Ok, I think I fit the racer/modeler category. Which, I think is a bit of an oxymoron with the definitions Mike has presented. Well, that pretty much sums me up, wishy and washy!! :lol: :lol:

edwin pibal
Approved Member

Post by edwin pibal »

I would say im a modeler/racer

I love my old rc10s (have 4 of them, rc10 gold tub, rc10 graphite team car, b2, factory team b3 and am looking for a new factory team b4), i have a pile of un opened parts for the gold tub and graphite.

Over here in New Zealand we have no Associated Dealer/importer so have to buy everything over seas.

I race the b3 at the moment, but am scared im going to break it so dont quite drive it like i stole it.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i'm just somebody who got a decent job, got the internet, discovered ebay and remembered his old rc10 at about the same time.

i would say i'm an appreciator.

Hay Burner
Approved Member

Post by Hay Burner »

Hard to say where I would fall. I haven't raced since I was in high school. I like to build the cars but have no use for shelf queens. I have 3 buggies, 2 10Ts, an RS4, and few other cars. That does make for a collection but all of my cars are runners. Maybe I am a hoarder I have bought a few cars just for parts, I do have a couple bins of parts.

I know I am the one trying to escape responsibility by playing with cars. Remembering the days I always made the A-main and never had a break down. :mrgreen:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

The older I get the faster I was

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Racer I have done some racing, on and off-road, but never really was a hard-core racer mostly due to time and money concerns. Now that I have a little extra of both, there is no place to race. A similar category that would fit better is basher. I have a few runners that definately are not the prettiest, but still put a smile on the drivers face. I have lots of spares for those, many of which were accumulated by buying spare cars to part out.

Modeler - I do have a couple of shelf queens, but they are far from perfect examples. I definately do not have the attention to detail or artistic skill to fit into this category.

Collector - I do admit to prefering hop-up parts to be new in the package, but also can't resist a nice used example if I don't already have one NIP. I have overpaid for some parts, but try to not make the hobby a complete money pit, which is hard at times with so many neat items floating around out there.

Hoarder - I am definately heavily tilted towards hoarder. I have a jrx-T I'm waiting to build completely from NIP parts. I've got just about everything I need, but can't bring myself to open up the packages. If I start to build it I won't have all those nice NIP parts left to think about building. :roll:
I've bought extras of parts when I can find them, just so I can use the one I already had on a build and still have extras. I tend not to hoard lots of used parts and projects. I finish one, sell the extras off and then move on to something else. usually 2 projects later I realize that I could have used the parts I sold off a couple months ago. :oops: I've only got 3 rc-10's and 2 of them are completed

I have bought parts I didn't need because they were cheap, and I can't resist large lots of losi stuff. I enjoy wrenching so I tend to buy cars to clean and rebuild and wind up selling many of them to keep the habit going. I wish I had the room and finances to keep everything I've bought, but just can't justify keeping more than 25 or so at any one time.
so like many above I'm a combination of several.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

I am everything except a collector, I can't justify having an r/c car and not running it at one point or another. And almost every car that I've driven, I had fun with. I'm more into the vintage cars now, than I was before, due to the fun factor.

I used to be a racer, but when It became too technical rather than fun, I lost interest in racing, that's why I love the idea of the nationals, that's gonna be one fun and crazy race.... :D
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Racer, for me the best part is thrashing old cars around the track trying to beat newer cars! They look just as good on the shelf with scratches. If I want a set of tecnacraft wheels i'll just spend $20 on the aluminium stock and make some lookalikes myself rather than pay $700 for them which makes it a bit easier to run them on the track :lol:

I also grab everything if it's cheap so I guess i'm a hoarder.

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

badhoopty wrote:i'm just somebody who got a decent job, got the internet, discovered ebay and remembered his old rc10 at about the same time.

i would say i'm an appreciator.
x2 :D

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Certainly a racer first, well at least I’d like to be… But I’m also a tech geek and just enjoy the whole scene and the passionate people that I meet in all the categories. Have always been amazed at the technology these little things have in them, woven graphite, ball diffs, all the little bearings, and the amazing performance they are capable of. Still remember my first kit, sitting there watching the servos move back and forth, and it wasn’t even in the car yet, it was just amazing, it actually works! Not much of a modeler myself, none of my rides are lookers, but always appreciate those that are, more of a lack of talent than interest. Don’t collect beyond just keeping my own stuff, my interest in restoring is primarily for my son, don’t want to leave him just a bunch of parts. Plus I get a big ego rush helping others, actually think I have something to offer from time to time. I’ve always been the type to encourage new racers, I try to help out whenever I can. Trust me I have some large debts to pay back, I’ve always received a lot of encouragement myself over the years.

Wow, this sounds weird, I think I need to get a hobby! Any suggestions?

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Well seeing as I have not yet mastered the technique of 'TIME TRAVEL' I will have to console myself with 'VINTAGE RACER'.
Having raced back in the day when the cooler stuff was making its way around the track (RC10's,Zerda's,Optima's,Hot Shot's etc....) and having been too young to really have a good go at it i did my best on my very limited budget that was available to me as a kid. Because I cant go back and change things (or buy the more competitive stuff of the day) I am happy to buy,build and drive the older buggies in modern vintage competition today. Am I a racer? Well I could be called this as I do race the modern stuff too but I think with this statement comes different calibres of the term. I dont take racing overly seriously. I dont kick myself if Im not winning but I do get a kick out of seeing vintage cars making their way around the track once again. As much as I do enjoy turning a total basket case into something that shines I also get a real kick out of seeing any of the cars from the bi-gone era on the track. It doesnt matter if its mine or a complete strangers car,I just love seeing them on the track kicking up dirt.
I guess my infatuation with vintage racing comes from the thought of seeing buggies that people have long forgotten,given a second chance at glory tearing it up at home on a race track.
Saying this I will also make the point the we do need to 'keep it real'. We dont need to run every car at the track we own. Sure I'll try but there simply is not enough time to run everything in my collection let alone some of you guys with masive collections. I guess i have rufled a few feathers in the past with some of my comments regarding whether the run or shelf but everyone should atleast run atleast 1 vintage buggy.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980