My next dumb question

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

My next dumb question

Post by Dadio »

So I want to order some Fan RC reproduction RC 10 gold shocks but I'm surprisingly ignorant considering my length of forum membership, they list them in inches and I'm fine with that bit but is it the throw they are measuring ? I'm planning on fitting them to a Mardave meteor and it looks like the same length as a stock 6 gear will do the job but I just wanted to be sure before ordering the wrong parts , very grateful for any and all help .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple

Re: My next dumb question

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:53 pm So I want to order some Fan RC reproduction RC 10 gold shocks but I'm surprisingly ignorant considering my length of forum membership, they list them in inches and I'm fine with that bit but is it the throw they are measuring ? I'm planning on fitting them to a Mardave meteor and it looks like the same length as a stock 6 gear will do the job but I just wanted to be sure before ordering the wrong parts , very grateful for any and all help .
Imperial units are a nightmare :-)
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The length listed is how associated refers to them so it is quite confusing for sure.

The original rc10 with short front arms came with .56 front and 1.32 rears, and the rears used tubing or spacers (5/8") to limit travel

The CE/Team cars came with .71 front and the same 1.32 rear limited

The world's car came with the same .71 but in the rear uses 1.32 bodies and 1.02 shafts instead of limiters

Measured c/l of shock cap hole to c/l of ball end:
The .56 measures about 63mm
The .71 is going to be around 69mm (nice)
The 1.32 limited is around 88mm.
The 1.32 without limiters ballpark 103mm
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

silvertriple wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:59 pm
Dadio wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:53 pm So I want to order some Fan RC reproduction RC 10 gold shocks but I'm surprisingly ignorant considering my length of forum membership, they list them in inches and I'm fine with that bit but is it the throw they are measuring ? I'm planning on fitting them to a Mardave meteor and it looks like the same length as a stock 6 gear will do the job but I just wanted to be sure before ordering the wrong parts , very grateful for any and all help .
Thats not a problem , when I was a boy i learnt inches ,feet , rods ,poles and chains , then it was both imperial and metric , towards the end only metric , so i have that weird system in my head where if its small its mm then inches , followed by feet then meters then miles , all I can say is it works for me :lol:
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:18 pm The length listed is how associated refers to them so it is quite confusing for sure.

The original rc10 with short front arms came with .56 front and 1.32 rears, and the rears used tubing or spacers (5/8") to limit travel

The CE/Team cars came with .71 front and the same 1.32 rear limited

The world's car came with the same .71 but in the rear uses 1.32 bodies and 1.02 shafts instead of limiters

Measured c/l of shock cap hole to c/l of ball end:
The .56 measures about 63mm
The .71 is going to be around 69mm (nice)
The 1.32 limited is around 88mm.
The 1.32 without limiters ballpark 103mm
Thanks mate that is just what I needed .

silvertriple

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:20 pm
silvertriple wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:59 pm
Thats not a problem , when I was a boy i learnt inches ,feet , rods ,poles and chains , then it was both imperial and metric , towards the end only metric , so i have that weird system in my head where if its small its mm then inches , followed by feet then meters then miles , all I can say is it works for me :lol:
Where it's really bloody confusing it's when they are measure in fraction of an inch... That's where I'm lost... So far the only car I worked on in Imperial unit was the SG Gemini SLX, and I have my assumption that some parts got redesigned (and set in metric) when it came to be slightly amended by SG Racing Cars, because it's definitely a mix between metric and imperial...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)