*** The official VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS thread ***

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Re: *** The official VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS thread ***

Post by Mark Westerfield »

kaybo19114 wrote:Mark/Erich - is there going to be a "cut-off" date for entries? or will you take sign-up the weekend of the race??

If you do allow signups on race day, will they still get the t-shirt? or are you doing that as a "signup by XX date" thing to get the shirt?
That's up to Erich, I'm waiting to see his answer as well.....
badhoopty wrote:Would the body have to be painted? do i have to run a wing? any common-sense rules like that?
Yes the body has to be painted, a wing is not required, but recommended (with the full wicker).

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Before Erich does reply, I had one other question. If there are significant numbers of entries in the 2wd and 4wd classes, would thought be given to splitting them up into pre-1990 and 1990-1994 groups? I know someone brought this up months ago on one of these threads, but I was just curious if that was an idea that would still be considered. I'm all for everyone getting out, but the advances from early r/c through the late 80s pale compared to the boom from 1990-1995. A lot of what is being run now differs very little from the designs and advances in the early 90s.
Just a question-- it will not affect my decision to run my really old stuff :wink: , but I just wanted to get it in there before the other questions were answered. Thanks!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

I'm not going to put a cutoff or limit on classes unless i see such a HUGE turnout that fire code starts to become an issue (which i would be STAGGERED to have to do in my first year). The only other reason i could ever see doing that is if the track owners felt they wanted to which i gt the impression from Mark is not the case (the more the merrier).

My plan for the future, if things take off, is to break up classes into 80's and 90's as well as a few other ways. I orig had this planned that way but figured it was best kept simple for the first year.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

That sounds just fine, Erich. It's your show!! ;)
I think one of the earlier questions though was if there was a "cut-off" for registering to get a t-shirt and if you could register at the track on Saturday. I was curious about that part of it too.
I'll be an equal-opportunity rolling roadblock for any buggy, regardless of manufacturing date! :roll:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

Something I had been thinking about and ... we've all seen some awesome builds over the last few years. Perhaps we should start a request list for anything you'd like to see in person that has been shown here.
Classics rule, moderns drool

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

bscotti wrote:Something I had been thinking about and ... we've all seen some awesome builds over the last few years. Perhaps we should start a request list for anything you'd like to see in person that has been shown here.
i know i'd like to see that sweet d.d. c.f. car that hoopty has with the reversed front bulkhead/shock tower in person (hint, hint). :wink:

to lazy to find a pic of it now, though. but, he'll know which one i mean. :mrgreen:

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

There will be shirts for all no worries there. All the input is appreciated! Ad went out today for the next issue of RC Driver so keep an eye out for it next month. Things are really starting to come together!

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

I have some questions about specs of the cars.
Can I use newer shocks with threaded shock bodies? (like from the current B4 cars)

and can some one tell me what rims F/R I can use to put the newer tires on my rc10?

And what are some good tires for the track.

I am planning on attending and want to know what I can mod and what i can't to stay legal :)

Bill
Have a nice day! :)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

farther up in this thread, erich said they're not gonna getting real critical with teching the cars. he also said that if someone wanted to show up with a B4'd gold tub they can. but, your kinda missing the point of a vintage race. for the first year, it seems like the rules are kinda loose, just to get more people to show up.

front and rear rims for an rc10 to run 2.2's would either be a set of b2/b3 rims, or duratrax evader bx front rims, and nitro evader rear rims. you'll need 3/16" rear axles.

the tires they seem to recommend farther up in this thread are the jconcept rounders for the front, and double dee's on the rear.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

scr8p wrote:farther up in this thread, erich said they're not gonna getting real critical with teching the cars. he also said that if someone wanted to show up with a B4'd gold tub they can. but, your kinda missing the point of a vintage race. for the first year, it seems like the rules are kinda loose, just to get more people to show up..
We gotta get one of those "hit the nail on the head" emoticons.

Clinehobbies, I'm not sure why you'd be concerned about threaded shocks or anything like that for a vintage race. It's not vintage.

As for me, I'm running 100% vintage vehicles. I'll have new batteries and motors and paint, but that's about it. I'm not concerned about gaining .01 second on my lap times. :lol:

Having said that, I don't care if you show up with a decked out B4 to run against my old RC10. I just think you'd be missing the whole point of this event.

Remember that episode of Seinfeld when Kramer was doing karate against the kids? :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i don't think the threaded shocks are too big of a deal. it's not as if they give you a performance advantage on the track. it just make tuning them quicker.

to be honest, i'm 99.9% sure the car i'm building for the nats is going to have them, simply because i don't have any extra shock collars laying around, and i'm not stealing them off one of my other cars.

clinehobbies
Approved Member

Post by clinehobbies »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
scr8p wrote:farther up in this thread, erich said they're not gonna getting real critical with teching the cars. he also said that if someone wanted to show up with a B4'd gold tub they can. but, your kinda missing the point of a vintage race. for the first year, it seems like the rules are kinda loose, just to get more people to show up..
We gotta get one of those "hit the nail on the head" emoticons.

Clinehobbies, I'm not sure why you'd be concerned about threaded shocks or anything like that for a vintage race. It's not vintage.

As for me, I'm running 100% vintage vehicles. I'll have new batteries and motors and paint, but that's about it. I'm not concerned about gaining .01 second on my lap times. :lol:

Having said that, I don't care if you show up with a decked out B4 to run against my old RC10. I just think you'd be missing the whole point of this event.

Remember that episode of Seinfeld when Kramer was doing karate against the kids? :lol:
Melvinsarmy, I don't see why what I run would concern you. I just asked for some information.
You sure are ready to throw out that purist vintage line when ever it suits you.We are all at different levels of collecting and enjoy different parts of the same hobby there is no reason to judge one better than the other. See you there!

Bill
Have a nice day! :)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

haha...duh. i forgot about just using preload clips. :lol:

oh well, they're a pain anyway. unless they're yokomo's, and ya have that sweet ass little pinky ring to put them in and take them off. :wink: :mrgreen:

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

LOL no boys lets all play nice :) Honestly I'm going to use "modern" shocks on my car more for time and convience. Ideally the shocks are exactly the same other wise and i don't see the big deal. I just want to have fun and see cars driving around and thats what makes me happy at the end of the day.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

clinehobbies wrote: Melvinsarmy, I don't see why what I run would concern you. I just asked for some information.
You sure are ready to throw out that purist vintage line when ever it suits you.We are all at different levels of collecting and enjoy different parts of the same hobby there is no reason to judge one better than the other. See you there!

Bill
Bill, you're 100% correct except for one thing. I'm always ready to throw out that purist vintage line, it suits me all day, every day. Seems like the kind of thing someone who started a whole vintage message board and who plans to attend a vintage race might be into, no? :lol:

Seriously, I don't care what you run. I don't understand it, but it doesn't bother me. I don't understand putting 24" DUB wheels on a 69 Camaro either but hey, to each his own. I guess I did come off a bit jerkier than I meant, I do that from time to time. Besides, your threaded shocks aren't going to help you get around and lap me any better when I'm cartwheeling off the jump in front of you. :lol: