Gifted an old RC10. Restoration Process

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Gifted an old RC10. Restoration Process

Post by XLR8 »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:44 am I haven't used their kit, but I use their 8-32 chassis screws which are very high quality. I would expect their kit to be really good too.

https://teamknkhardware.com/122-associated

I've bought some eBay kits that I wouldn't use again. l've ended up getting bulk fasteners for my needs.
I tend to buy in bulk as well.
What makes a screw kit worth 30 bucks?
Is just the price of convenience or do they include something extra?
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

XLR8 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:38 pm What makes a screw kit worth 30 bucks?
The KnK kit that I bought was a bag full of hardware, much more than I needed.

I suspect that the RC10 kit contains enough hardware to build any version of it, so it will obviously have "extras".
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

If you're just doing one buggy, a kit might be the way to go. If you've gotten sucked in and are running out of fingers and toes to count on, bulk is the way to go.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:47 pm
XLR8 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:38 pm What makes a screw kit worth 30 bucks?
The KnK kit that I bought was a bag full of hardware, much more than I needed.

I suspect that the RC10 kit contains enough hardware to build any version of it, so it will obviously have "extras".
I reckon at 30 bucks, that bag had better contain a lot of extras.
Maybe Joe can tell us when his kit arrives.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:48 pm If you're just doing one buggy, a kit might be the way to go. If you've gotten sucked in and are running out of fingers and toes to count on, bulk is the way to go.
If you're doing one buggy and it was gifted to you, it's the way to go. :mrgreen:
Doug

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

Screw kit should arrive any day now I will let you all know what it looks like.

Speaking of screws I was finishing taking apart the rear end and I noticed this tiny Allen screw. The manual doesn't mention anything about needing an allen this size. Is that just an oversight in the instructions? I have a couple of Allen key sets but none have anything this small. My smallest MIPs driver from my set is still too big.
Attachments
PXL_20230928_203654795.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

That's an .050, same as the pinion gear that came with the kit used. Should be able to find a cheap set of Allen wrenches locally if your in a hurry, probably not worth spending the big $$ on a good one for the very few of those you will run across.

If you dig into the trans, the idler gears use an .035 which is much harder to find (and came with the replacement idlers). Just a heads up in case you are tearing that down. I'd snag a couple of the 035's as they wear out incredibly quickly
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:42 pm That's an .050, same as the pinion gear that came with the kit used. Should be able to find a cheap set of Allen wrenches locally if your in a hurry, probably not worth spending the big $$ on a good one for the very few of those you will run across.

If you dig into the trans, the idler gears use an .035 which is much harder to find (and came with the replacement idlers). Just a heads up in case you are tearing that down. I'd snag a couple of the 035's as they wear out incredibly quickly
Thanks! Yeah my plan is to tear everything down basically to where it would have come in the original kit. I'm not sure how the transmission originally came (assembled or not). Either way I'll probably pick all this stuff up. Tearing this down has given me a bit of a bug in wanting to possibly do a few more in the future :D

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

Now on the topic of replacement plastic parts... I've come across my first broken part. Seems like the screw stripped right out of here at some point. Do you all generally have a go-to aftermarket part maker? Or do people usually find donor cars or something? I assume 3D printing is also an option?
Attachments
PXL_20230928_204954394.jpg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

A 0.9mm is the same as an 0.035" and much easier to find.

Wiha has some hex bit driver sets that cover nearly everything. They have a few different options, depending on exactly what you want. I have a couple of the micro bit sets, as well as standard bits.

If you want individual drivers, I'd recommend Wera. For the money, you probably can't do better.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

For replacement parts, FanRC is now molding very convincing replica parts. In the USA, check with Team KNK, they have a lot of it in stock.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

juicedcoupe wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:01 pm A 0.9mm is the same as an 0.035" and much easier to find.

Wiha has some hex bit driver sets that cover nearly everything. They have a few different options, depending on exactly what you want. I have a couple of the micro bit sets, as well as standard bits.

If you want individual drivers, I'd recommend Wera. For the money, you probably can't do better.
I have the 3 piece MIPS metric set which has been pretty good for many things. Looks like ill have to expand a bit. Thanks for the suggestions

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:23 pm For replacement parts, FanRC is now molding very convincing replica parts. In the USA, check with Team KNK, they have a lot of it in stock.
Great, ill check that out. Thanks

JoeP
Approved Member

Post by JoeP »

Sort of a random question but do you think it's necessary to be careful about keeping screws and parts in specific groups as I break this down? I've been keeping everything together as far as rear left, rear right, front left, front right etc. But now I just kind of wanted to throw everything into simple green and I was wondering if putting everything back together will be a nightmare if I don't keep everything organized. Also, I'm getting the brand new hardware set anyway so I feel like I will have to find each screw accordingly

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

JoeP wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:43 pm Sort of a random question but do you think it's necessary to be careful about keeping screws and parts in specific groups as I break this down? I've been keeping everything together as far as rear left, rear right, front left, front right etc. But now I just kind of wanted to throw everything into simple green and I was wondering if putting everything back together will be a nightmare if I don't keep everything organized. Also, I'm getting the brand new hardware set anyway so I feel like I will have to find each screw accordingly
You'll be fine. there aren't that many screws, you'll just want to make sure you sort them by size. Be sure to wash and dry them promptly. They can rust quickly. I've had that happen.