RC10DS - 1969 Camaro Redux (from HPI to Kyosho)

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

RC10DS - 1969 Camaro Redux (from HPI to Kyosho)

Post by LoboNYC »

Back in 2013 Romulus22 knew i wanted an RC10DS nitro car. He also knew a guy that was selling one. He connected us and the rest is history. The RC10DS was mailed to me from Arizona and that started the DS fever. This is my first Nitro DS. I painted a HPI 69 Camaro body for it and kept stock exhaust muffler to keep the exhaust exiting the rear and to avoid having to place a hole on the side of the body. I equipped it with a New Era RC10GT roll bar, HPI vintage wheels. This is not a shelf queen, she gets run. Years ago on my last run I took a spill (some flips as wheel) that damaged the pull starter plate and loosened the flywheel. The body was still in relatively good shape except for the usual scrapes, scratches and loss of paint. That said i finally got some time to repair the engine, swap engine head (prefer the silver over the red) and prepare a new body. I purchase the Kyosho 69 Camaro to replace the aging HPI body. The Kyosho has great detail in the form of chrome front and rear bumpers, chrome grill, chrome side mirrors and chrome wipers. It also comes ready to add LED lights if you choose to do so. I wanted to do an old school VTA Camaro and chose red, silver and black as my colors.... Let me know what you think.

The HPI body

New Era GT roll bar

Starter back plate and flywheel repair

Kyosho Camaro body trimmed and mounted

Rear waiting for the trunk/bumper piece to be attached

Trunk/bumper piece attached; screw hardware swapped out for stainless steel

First color, red paint

Second color, silver paint
Image[/url]

Third and final color, black paint

Paint done. Need decals and chrome trimming. Wheels shown are not permanent.

Decals and trimming mounted

Number Decals arrived from vendor in Virginia. Sponsor logo decals applied as well for the VTA look.
Rear Wing spoiler painted matte black from the outside.

Tried some white VTA wheels to see what she would look like

Going to leave her with the traditional 5 spoke VTA wheels for now.

She's a runner

MONEY SHOTS

She's Ready to Roll!

What do you think?

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Re: RC10DS - 1969 Camaro Redux (from HPI to Kyosho)

Post by Burniefloyd »

Dude... Your cars are so beautiful they make me feel bad about myself :shock:

Seriously the lines are tight and perfectly aligned. Beautiful work.
Self described chronic hobbyist

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

That looks awesome !! The machine turned gold leaf look is amazing with that paint job ! Very well done indeed.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Well, that just looks amazing! The paint colors, stripes and decals are just spot-on. I also like that you've done the rear spoiler in matte black. Just perfect!

By the way, while browsing MCI and TBG's product catalogs recently, I've discovered that they are reproducing HPI's line of vintage touring car bodies -- including your old '69 Camaro. Although the more recent releases from Kyosho and Losi are little more detailed (with separate bumpers and better decals), the HPI reproduction bodies might be something to consider especially if you're after a specific width are just trying to save a few bucks. I have Kyosho's Chevelle and Losi's Camaro and I think I'd like to build an early Mustang next. TBG is re-popping HPI's 65 GT, 65 Shelby, and the '69. Again, no separate plated bumpers so they could be a bit tricky to detail.

Anyway, I really like the direction you've taken with this car. Well done sir!! 8)
Doug

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

Burniefloyd wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:59 pm Dude... Your cars are so beautiful they make me feel bad about myself :shock:

Seriously the lines are tight and perfectly aligned. Beautiful work.

Thanks!..I took my time with the lines...especially because i did not use line tape. I masked car and sprayed red paint. Then i took painters tape and masked the car again except for the width of the line. It was a challenge to keep that line consistent without letting it get wider or thinner while masking. Also sprayed nearly invisible light coats of the silver paint allowing it to dry between coats in order to create a seal and prevent bleeding. The final color (black) was the easiest as there was no masking to deal with other than the window masks.

MarkyDents wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:04 pm That looks awesome !! The machine turned gold leaf look is amazing with that paint job ! Very well done indeed.
Thanks buddy! Those gold leaf decals were made for me by guy in Virginia who uses CNC machine to cut them. very cool dude.
XLR8 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:24 am Well, that just looks amazing! The paint colors, stripes and decals are just spot-on. I also like that you've done the rear spoiler in matte black. Just perfect!

By the way, while browsing MCI and TBG's product catalogs recently, I've discovered that they are reproducing HPI's line of vintage touring car bodies -- including your old '69 Camaro. Although the more recent releases from Kyosho and Losi are little more detailed (with separate bumpers and better decals), the HPI reproduction bodies might be something to consider especially if you're after a specific width are just trying to save a few bucks. I have Kyosho's Chevelle and Losi's Camaro and I think I'd like to build an early Mustang next. TBG is re-popping HPI's 65 GT, 65 Shelby, and the '69. Again, no separate plated bumpers so they could be a bit tricky to detail.

Anyway, I really like the direction you've taken with this car. Well done sir!! 8)

Thanks! A matte spoiler was the way to go. It just looks more realistic. I wanted to use those three colors but the order placement took time to figure out. I was originally going to paint the top silver, the line in red and the bottom in black...then i thought about the black top, red line and silver bottom. Finally i chose what you see...red top, silver line and black bottom. Still i wonder what the other combos would have looked like, lol.

Im so glad MCI and TBG joined up. Also glad they offer the discontinued HPI nuscle car bodies. Although the HPI bodies never had plated plastic bumpers, the decals sheet did have metallic looking decals for the bumpers. i have my favorite muscle car bodies by HPI stashed away but im really happy to see they are available here and even happier you can get the decal sheet as well.