Hirosaka's Stealth RC10 used in Australia & Detroit Worlds

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

Re: Masami Hirosaka's Stealth RC10 used in Australia Worlds

Post by Bormac »

As similar as the cars may look they arent the same. The 89' aussie worlds car has the shocks on the front side of the shock tower. This is the easiest way to tell them appart before looking further into the car.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

siebenelch
Approved Member

Post by siebenelch »

I did must waiting 19 years to see this pictures finally.

I thing, the most interesting part of this car is the front suspension. It seems they did want to create a very high roll-centre with this kind of steeringknuckle/C-hub-system. The wheel-axle is in one line with the A-arm level. Also interesting is the only one hole for the shock into the a-arm. No possibility for other shock positions at the arms.

The wheelbase seems to be very long at this car. Good for rough tracks! and a long wheelbase creates a lower COG. So this cars must have a extremely understeering. This is the reasons, because they use this 4WD-Front-tires.

If I look at the rear-end, the a-arms don´t look, like the RC10T a-arms. They are definitely shorter and they can use the standard-rear-knuckles. That is not possible with the RC10T a-arms! I know that, because I tried that with my VITEC-Prototype-car. No chance!

I think, the reason, because AE never produced this car, is the extreme-design. The Stealth car looks very fragile and in the hands of a normal racer/beginner this would create many problems with durability and wrenching and maybe driving. AE did make a more a customer-friendly design, and that means a complete new car. Maybe the time was not right at 1989 to make a CAD-Design, like today.

You can see at the pics, Masami wrecked the car at the upper-deck. I wonder, if that was happen in the 3rd A-Main of the worlds.

It´s interesting, that AE never used this cars again for other races/championships. But the old RC10 won new titles years later.

I am sure, everybody was waiting to buy the Stealth Car. I was personally very disappointed to see the new B2 and not a Stealth Car from AE.

Maybe Steve/Gene can give some input in some technical questions.

And Steve, to be honest, I feel, you seem to be very open for this forum. I never expected that from a AE-person. It is possible, that you want to remember the good old times? I mean, in the background of the overkeeping from Thunder Tiger and the new times at AE (what seems to be not so glory, like in the 90´s).

It´s okay, if you don´t answer this last question ;)

Thanks for all!

Michael

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

Many thanks for the pics Steve!

Being a huge fan of the Stealth Cars for some time now I had to refurbish my Desktop. Little voices told me to do. :mrgreen:

"The things you own, they end up owning you."

WebSteve
Approved Member

Re: Masami Hirosaka's Stealth RC10 used in DETROIT Worlds

Post by WebSteve »

"It is possible, that you want to remember the good old times?"

siebenelch,

I have been involved in the graphics part of the business more than the racing aspect, so I did not go to many races. I have few memories in that respect. Introspection time: So why am I doing this? That's a tough question. I think the other AE workers here know that I'm a helpful guy. I often drop what I'm doing to help them with something they need (and they are just as helpful to me). When I stumbled on this site, I just saw opportunities to help you and help my Dad too. My Dad wants to share his joy of RC, and I saw that I could help with that by photographing his cars and sharing them with like-minded people. Mixed in with this is my joy of shooting pictures and playing with my camera. This site also gets me in the door to understand my Dad's side of the world a bit more.

I"m also starting to be a Shutterfly junkie. Have you seen the digitally printed books, such as from Shutterfly.com? The bookmaking, paper, and printing quality are as good as, if not better than, many regular books. This project has already resulted in an RC10 book which I've just finished and ordered. Curtis and Gene will each get a copy. They cost $29.99 each plus shipping for a twenty page, 8 1/2 x 11" hard-bound book.

So there's a mixture of reasons why I'm on this site, not to mention the ability to be socially connected. I'm deaf, so it's nice to have a way to communicate to others with complete freedom.

That's why I do it.

Steve H

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Steve,
I want to thank you for all your time spent on this. The Detroit Stealth car is my favorite all time RC10 sins I was a kid and I saw it in the magazines. It is good to see that someone like you like to do this for the experience of helping some other people. I like to let you know that you are making my day with this and I am sure you are putting a smile to a lot of people’s faces with these pictures.
Let us know if we can see the RC10 book you created and maybe some of the people in this sit would love to buy one. Keep the good photos coming we love it. :mrgreen:
Thanks again.

Moggie XL
Approved Member

Post by Moggie XL »

The stealth cars were way ahead of there time you can see where the B4 comes from although I was surprised to see dogbone drive shafts on
a worlds winning car.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

Moggie XL wrote: ...I was surprised to see dogbone drive shafts on a worlds winning car.
Supposed to be better in the rough stuff. Something about freeing up the suspension... :wink:

WebSteve
Approved Member

Re: Hirosaka's Stealth RC10 used in Australia & Detroit Worlds

Post by WebSteve »

Click on the link in the first post to view both of Masami's Stealth cars.

Steve H

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

WebSteve wrote:Click on the link in the first post to view both of Masami's Stealth cars.

Steve H

Awesome! Any chance of having the Australian car in a full pic with the body on (like the first 5 pics of the Detroit car)? I'd like to have one that's desktop wallpaper worthy. :D
Keith C

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

That is just too cool! I, and I think everyone else, can't thank you enough.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

WebSteve
Approved Member

Post by WebSteve »

call-911 wrote: Awesome! Any chance of having the Australian car in a full pic with the body on (like the first 5 pics of the Detroit car)? I'd like to have one that's desktop wallpaper worthy. :D
Oh, I forgot to shoot the 3/4 views. I'll get to it later.

Steve H

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Look closely & see the influences from this car to the B2, ie--rear end geometry, rear tower
front geometry etc--very cool

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Fantastic pictures!! Thank you very much for sharing.

This would be a tough car to replicate.

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

Thanks again!
Even has some St Ives dirt still stuck in the unused screw holes :lol:

I love the hand machined stealth trans prototype, lil rough like it should be!

Front end layout does look alot like a B2, even with the bulkhead brace replacing the full top deck. Arms maybe swept back a little bit more in the B2.