Tomahawk rere driving experience

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Biz73
Approved Member

Tomahawk rere driving experience

Post by Biz73 »

I've been planning to buy a Kyosho re-issue for awhile now. I finally got the money...2 days after the Ultima kits sold out at Tower :roll: I know I can get it elsewhere, but I'm already pushing my budget so the coupon codes make a big difference for me. So I have a couple of weeks to wait. I've always liked the Tomahawk, but chose the Ultima because I figured it was a more modern style chassis and would drive much better. I watched some Tomahawk vids on Youtube, but it's hard to tell how it drives. I have a Tamiya Grasshopper(Hornet with a Hopper body at this point) and a Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle already and was wondering how the Tomahawk compares to them. It didn't seems as bouncy in the vids, but they weren't exactly quality footage. Do they drive like crap or are they a bit more planted and controllable on rough ground?

In an ideal world I would have a Turbo Optima kit on it's way right now, but my income is far from ideal :lol: Thanks for your input.

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Tomahawk rere driving experience

Post by Dadio »

If your looking at performance then the Ultima is going to be a fair bit better , if your comparing a Tomahawk to your current cars then the FAV is closest , I have a Scorpion RE RE and used to have a wild one back in the day , neither are exactly what your talking about but pretty close ,the FAV with oil shocks may have the edge on the Tomahawk , its got a lower COG and a wider stance , but if you discount the handling then the Tomahawk is one of the last of the die cast alloy suspension cars and a thing of beauty just for how it looks , if you want better handling then the Ultima is the way to go .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I've never driven a FAV but I do have the Ultima and Turbo Scorpion rere's and Ultima is miles ahead with regard to overall handling. The Scorpion and Tomahawk are very similar.
If I could only have one of these, the choice would be obvious. The front end on the Scorpion seems fragile and it gets knocked around a lot.
Doug

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

I have a variety of runners including early RC10s, an FAV, a Wild One and a Scorpion re-re, which is very close to the Tomahawk. There's no comparison between the re-re Scorpion and the Wild One/FAV. I love my Wild One. It has the aforementioned low COG that keeps it fairly planted but...its heavy and even with oil shocks, its suspension is fairly limited. In no way is it competition for buggies like the classic RC10. The Scorpion, on the other hand, was amazing. It feels quite light despite using all that aluminum. The drivetrain is whisper quiet and goes quite well with just a 540 silvercan. It has more suspension travel and the trailing arm design eats up my rough backyard.

Keep in mind where these cars fell in production times. The Tamiya SRBs were some of the main cars used in competition at first. The Scorpion came after these and blew them away. I was surprised at just how much better the Scorpion was over my heavy Super Champ. When the RC10 came out, it was still possible to keep up with one in a Scorpion. But, the RC10 design architecture was still the way of the future and the Scorpions faded into the background. The Ultima came after the RC10. Even in its basic form, I felt there was a little advancement in the Ultima over the old short arm RC10. The Wild One was not Tamiya's top 2wd offering in this era. The Fox was.

The old Scorpions probably didn't have the best quality. I do know the front of the chassis beams often got bent in collisions which altered the front kickup. The re-release Scorpions are of fantastic quality. I haven't broken or bent anything yet. Is it up to the Ultima's performance level? No. It is alot better than the SRBs and not too far behind the short arm classic RC10s IMHO. Its not as settled as an RC10 but it certainly gets around pretty well. The RC10 seems much more adjustable/adaptable than the Scorpion and has much greater potential. Hope this helps.

Biz73
Approved Member

Post by Biz73 »

Thanks for the responses.

Obviously the Ultima will be the better performer. I was just curious about how the Tomahawk compared to the Tamiya buggies of the same time period. My FAV already has oil dampers on the rear which helped with the "bouncy" nature of it. Sounds like the Tomahawk is about the same performance wise as the FAV. It's a good looker so maybe someday I will get one.

The Ultima it is. I can't wait to build my Kyosho kit.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Biz73 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:35 pm Thanks for the responses.

Obviously the Ultima will be the better performer. I was just curious about how the Tomahawk compared to the Tamiya buggies of the same time period. My FAV already has oil dampers on the rear which helped with the "bouncy" nature of it. Sounds like the Tomahawk is about the same performance wise as the FAV. It's a good looker so maybe someday I will get one.

The Ultima it is. I can't wait to build my Kyosho kit.
Good choice. I think you'll find that it was worth the wait. The Ultima was a great car bitd and the re-re is even better. It's a fun build as well. :D
Doug