Surviving isolation chat

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: Surviving isolation chat

Post by Dadio »

Ive finally got some results from 3d scanning , I gave up on the camera option and looked into propped scanners, propped ones start at about £100 for a very limited setup , then I found out something interesting , the old Xbox 360 motion scanner works and there's some free software to hack it for use with a computer, you can pick them up for about £20 ,much more my price tag ,you can scan whatever you want from a book to a whole room and I've managed to scan my daughter and myself and I'm 3d printing a bust of her now , then I'll do one of me , eventually I want to graft my head onto a driver figure I can fit in my cars :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

ahhhahha, now that would be cool!!!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

First 3d print of me , don't do this if you have any illusions about yourself , its harsh !
not the best pose , printed fast and with a thick layer but its not bad and undeniably me , the one of my daughter was more problematic , it struggles a bit or i did with scanning hair and that's something I'm blessedly short of :lol:
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I just combined my head with a driver figure from Thingiverse by minguy71 and its printing now :D
going to be another 3 hours yet though .

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

:lol:

So you'll be able to drive a RC car in more way than one... :mrgreen:

Here in the Netherlands we have a soft lockdown, and I fully expect the shit to hit the fan in the coming weeks because mostly young dumbasses apparently still don't get that this disease is dangerous and they too can end up in hospital (or dead) and so go out partying while intentionally ignoring the government advice (apparently they've fined thousands of people already, including kids as young as 10 :shock: ). I have a 20-something neighbour who keeps inviting friends, including some that are coughing quite a lot... :roll: Oh well, natural selection in action.

Meanwhile, I get the impression I dodged a bullet at work, as a coworker that sat right next to me apparently got a 'flu' with lots of headaches, exhaustion, coughing, muscle ache etc. that has been lasting for the better part of four weeks by now (i.e. the mild Covid-19 version, of course they did not get tested because the Dutch government screwed up their preparations and can't test much at all...). Another colleague also got a heavy 'flu' with similar symptoms and had a older family member end up in hospital with bilateral pneumonia out of the blue. And yet another one has had a persistent cough since about 6 weeks...
It's been 20 days since I've been working from home and I'm not sick yet, so I guess I'm safe.
I'm in IT these days so I actually get to work, and my only problem is that I manage to do more than when I'm in the office because no one interrupts or disturbs me. Last week I ran out of work to do... :P

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I can see a lot of companies making working from home permanent , its been a good idea for ages for tons of reasons but till now there's been little will or investment in it , now for a business to survive (or people) they have had to make it work and if its working well then they can save a lot of money on office space etc , it may be the only upside to any of this that it may be of benefit environmentally by cutting pollution caused by commuting to work and supporting office spaces , no conciliation to those who are ill or have lost loved ones and I'm far from trying to put a positive spin on it .
On a less serious note this is my me driver figure after 3d printing , i think the head is too small so I'm doing another now .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The new scan of my daughter printed in wood filament .

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

cut our overtime because the markets are in the toilet but replaced "this is how you do this" to "get 6' away dammit!" .

Hate being essential :lol:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Still working so wont mess with these till winter, but got a few quarantine kits comin for mental satisfaction (between me and my brother) Monster Beetle, Avante Black Special, Top Force, and Turbo Optima.........thoughts?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

mtbkym01

Post by mtbkym01 »

coxbros1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:20 pm Still working so wont mess with these till winter, but got a few quarantine kits comin for mental satisfaction (between me and my brother) Monster Beetle, Avante Black Special, Top Force, and Turbo Optima.........thoughts?
Some enjoyable builds there
You name it - and I want it ;)
If it's Old Skool, It's Kool

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I wouldn't mind the Avante to build right now , I'm not going crazy yet though but strangely my problem is not being unable to get out but people under my feet all the time , I'm full time carer and house husband so usually its just me and my daughter that I care for at home , my wife ,son and other daughter are usually out at school or work so its easy to get the house work done , I usually only go out to do shopping or walk dogs and that's not changed other than the spaced out que's outside the shops .

DropDeadKustoms

Post by DropDeadKustoms »

Wow that is so cool you did your own head to run as a driver...I never even thought of that.....you could probably make a good chunk of money if you had a way to do it with a customer....just a thought...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

DropDeadKustoms wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:33 pm Wow that is so cool you did your own head to run as a driver...I never even thought of that.....you could probably make a good chunk of money if you had a way to do it with a customer....just a thought...
The problem is I'd have to do the scan in person , its not a long process , if everything goes well it only takes 10 min but sometimes you have to repeat it if it comes out bad , to be honest the software is free (Skanect) and the Xbox Kinect scanner (early version ) can be had for £15 second hand on eBay so I guess you could scan yourself and send me the file to clean up and print or any good printing service , I'd have to look at the Skanect terms and conditions as with a lot of free software you can't charge customers to use it but just the printing I'm sure would be fine , there is a pro version of the software that you pay for and I guess charging would be fine then .

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Hi Dadio, r u into 3d printing now? I'm looking for parts for zerda roll cage and a driver figure.
Lock down has got me tinkering again.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Hi threesheds ,yes I've been doing 3d printing for a little over a year , what parts are you after ? I used a Tomahawk driver figure in mine , its not exactly the same but pretty close .