Was just gifted an RC10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

palesaint

Was just gifted an RC10T

Post by palesaint »

Hi everyone, a neighbor down the street gave me her son's RC10T from when we was a teenager in the 90s. Complete with box (says model 7011) and manual and 75mhz controller.

I put fresh batteries in it (7.2v 5000aH and replaced AA duracells that said best by 1998). The car powers up and responds to steering control and trim, but it doesn't want to move. It looks like the motor is run off something like a rheostat. I cleaned up contacts, but the servo doesn't sweep across contacts like it seems like it should.

So I'm real ignorant here on how the motor is controlled. Please direct me to any threads that talk about the vintage system. Should I try to fiddle with the original electronics or upgrade the motor? Looking for a cheap way to get this guy going. Here are some pics and TIA for any help!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0589.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0588.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0587.jpg

Chibfoo

Re: Was just gifted an RC10T

Post by Chibfoo »

I’m actually starting out with an rc10 as well, my uncle gifted it to me. I’m a new member too, but anyway. I guess it just depends on how original you want to keep it and how you want to use it. I’m going to try and build mine as original as possible, but then put an updated motor/battery esc etc. on it so I can enjoy driving it as well. I look forward to seeing how your build goes!

palesaint

Post by palesaint »

Chibfoo wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:51 pm I’m actually starting out with an rc10 as well, my uncle gifted it to me. I’m a new member too, but anyway. I guess it just depends on how original you want to keep it and how you want to use it. I’m going to try and build mine as original as possible, but then put an updated motor/battery esc etc. on it so I can enjoy driving it as well. I look forward to seeing how your build goes!
Thanks! Have you given yours a test ride and been happy with the results? I need to see if I can upload a video of my servo throttle trying to send power to the motor. It moves but just doesn't seem to sweep enough to send power. I would love to keep it stock but if something is broken I will fix it.

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

Welcome to the forum palesaint!

I would probably start with the AE instruction manual https://img2.associatedelectrics.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC10/Original/rc10_manual.pdf
Shows the installation and wiring of the resistor style speed control.Using a soft eraser on the face of the resistor and on the brass button can help clean them.

Maybe make sure the motor itself runs OK by first disconnecting it from the speed control and then applying 6-12v directly to the terminals of the motor.
If the motor runs, a brushed style ESC is always an option. That was one of the very first upgrades I did on my RC10 way back in the day.

A brushless motor with a brushless ESC will yield more power and less maintenance in the long run. A 17t is probably pretty good starting point.
Good luck and keep us posted :D

Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

palesaint

Post by palesaint »

radioactivity wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:35 pm Welcome to the forum palesaint!

I would probably start with the AE instruction manual https://img2.associatedelectrics.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC10/Original/rc10_manual.pdf
Shows the installation and wiring of the resistor style speed control.Using a soft eraser on the face of the resistor and on the brass button can help clean them.

Maybe make sure the motor itself runs OK by first disconnecting it from the speed control and then applying 6-12v directly to the terminals of the motor.
If the motor runs, a brushed style ESC is always an option. That was one of the very first upgrades I did on my RC10 way back in the day.

A brushless motor with a brushless ESC will yield more power and less maintenance in the long run. A 17t is probably pretty good starting point.
Good luck and keep us posted :D

Chuck
Good info thanks! I did apply power to motor and it runs quite well. Sounds like an ESC is a good idea. Is this a good choice? https://www.amazon.com/Turnigy-30A-BRUSHED-ESC/dp/B00URCK1Q4

Can't quite see connectors it has, I assume I could just cut and solder.

radioactivity

Post by radioactivity »

palesaint, I am no expert on modern brushed ESC's.

The 30 amp ESC you asked about may be a little weak for anything more than cruising about. Probably a little higher amp rating would be better.
I usually run either vintage brushed or modern brushless, not that it is better, just my choice.
I think others on this forum have used a HobbyWing QUICRUN 1060 Brushed ESC.https://www.amazon.com/HobbyWing-QUICRUN-1060-Brushed-ESC/dp/B00LXCM3Q8
It has a battery eliminator circuit (BEC) to power your receiver and servo.
This esc will also allow running NiMh or lipo batteries because it has a low voltage cutoff.

Chuck
Hydrodip how to https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=42727
When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail :wink:

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Having never installed, fixed, or otherwise, fiddled with a mechanical speed controller, I would suggest first cleaning the contact surface (as suggested), and then re-aligning the servo horn so that the servo (and sweeper arm) sweeps the contact surface from side to side.
The manual (as linked above) should indicate how to calibrate it appropriately so that the position of the sweeper arm corresponds to the trigger position on your transmitter.
Getting an ESC will certainly make calibrating, maintaining and operating easier, and, from what I’ve read, be more efficient in power consumption. But fixing the mechanical speed controller could have you running the car today rather than waiting for the esc to arrive by mail.

On a side note: has that teenager from the 90s signed off on mom giving away his toys?
Chris

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

Oh, just noticed something else (again, having no experience what so ever with what I’m about to mention), but I noticed the speed controller is placed right in front of the rear bulkhead. This means the battery has to be placed transversally. Modern Nimh batteries don’t fit this way.
Lipo’s fit side to side but probably can’t be used (safely) with the mechanical speed controller.
Chris

palesaint

Post by palesaint »

Bakauata wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:05 am Oh, just noticed something else (again, having no experience what so ever with what I’m about to mention), but I noticed the speed controller is placed right in front of the rear bulkhead. This means the battery has to be placed transversally. Modern Nimh batteries don’t fit this way.
Lipo’s fit side to side but probably can’t be used (safely) with the mechanical speed controller.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I noticed the new Nimh doesn't quite fit. I can get one side under the clamp so can at least run it. I will try cleaning and calibrating the resistor. I think I'll also order that brushed ESC linked above. This should make it where I can move stuff around and get the battery rotated straight along body and to lay flat.

guggles

Post by guggles »

Try swapping the steering servo and throttle servo plugs on the receiver. After that if the steering doesn't move the truck froward or backwards and the throttle servo still doesn't move then its the servo. If the servo does move then its the transmitter or the receiver.

Thats a very nice gift from your neighbor, The truck looks great.