What's the latest on getting a better steering linkage?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dabigboy

What's the latest on getting a better steering linkage?

Post by dabigboy »

My CE buggy has all its hardware, but the steering linkage is super sloppy, and seems to be so by design. Is the A&L kit the way to go? I came across a thread on here from a while back where someone cobbled together a solution from various other parts, but since this is my first RC10 (and really my first hobby-grade buggy), I'd rather get a complete and hassle-free solution. On the 'bay I also see a Composite Craft kit, some Houge (Edinger?) kits, and MIP. Seems like everyone wants around $45 to $55 for the kits, yeowza!

Or, is there a way to firm up the factory linkage? And if so, does the ball bearing upgrade really make that much difference? I'm a newbie RC driver and will most likely just be bashing this for fun, no competition (though it would be nice to be able to go fast with my BL upgrade and not lose control).

Matt

GoMachV

Re: What's the latest on getting a better steering linkage?

Post by GoMachV »

I sell the A&L/Factory Works steering kits (message me for a better price than eBay) but it’s hard to beat the stock Worlds car steering set. Part number 6254 and you need 4 bearings (1/4x3/8 flanged). It’s a cheap setup that works just fine. You can find the 6254 on eBay for around $9 shipped and $1 a pop on the bearings. You will need a tie rod to go from the bellcrank to the servo horn as the stock z linkage won’t fit. Best pull up the Worlds car manual on rc10.com for reference on how it is assembled.

The Worlds steering is the same geometry as the Houge set you see.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I have RC10's with original 'cranks (like shown below), Worlds, and A&L 'cranks and the ball bearings do reduce steering slop.
However, there's more to it than bearings; worn ballstuds, ballcups and even worn hinge pins can contribute to sloppy steering. Even brand new ballstuds and ballcups, right out of the bag, can be loose.
I've never owned an RC10 with steering as tight as, for instance, a Schumacher CAT or a B2/3.
RC10 steering bellcranks.JPG
RC10 steering bellcranks.JPG (35.45 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
RC10 steering bellcranks.JPG
RC10 steering bellcranks.JPG (35.45 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Doug

dabigboy

Post by dabigboy »

Thanks for the tip on the Worlds linkage, gold! I just ordered the 6254 and bearings. I don't need fancy on this car, just something nice and functional.

The main source of the slop on mine is the servo-saver rig, the steering arm doesn't fit very tightly in the other part of the linkage. There may be wear elsewhere but it was not immediately noticeable (car is in pieces at the moment), I'll give this a shot.

Matt

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

dabigboy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:07 pm Thanks for the tip on the Worlds linkage, gold! I just ordered the 6254 and bearings. I don't need fancy on this car, just something nice and functional.

The main source of the slop on mine is the servo-saver rig, the steering arm doesn't fit very tightly in the other part of the linkage. There may be wear elsewhere but it was not immediately noticeable (car is in pieces at the moment), I'll give this a shot.

Matt
Yes, the original RC10 servo-saver was notorious for being loose. Many who continue to run them (myself included) have used tie wraps to remove the slop - but of course this negates the "saver" function.
Doug