tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Dadio's 3D Printing Stuff

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Well it came out pretty well , I will reprint it in PET-G when it arrives and might go down to .1 layer thickness , the underside is a lot better than the draft versions but there is still some bad areas at the bottom layer of the holes where its printing the wall of the hole onto support material , that might be better if printed on the side with the down side that the holes might not be very round .

If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I never thought to extend the holes down to bed level , that's a neat trick and easy to trim off ,thanks , I think I'll add that to the design before printing in PETG , stupidly I ordered white PETG so its no good for a replica part .
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I do have a quick question , I'm using a Bowden tube that goes all the way into the hot end , I understand there's a temp limit of 250° C because of the tubing , I was looking at all metal hot ends and I had a thought , if I turned a piece of steel on my Lath that fitted between the nozzle and the Bowden union inside the heatsink so that the Bowden tube only went in a few mm then butted up on the steel tube I make then the steel tube goes to the hot end , would that work ? As long as I make the steel tube a snug fit and crown the end so the filament enters nicely then I can't see a difference between my idea and an all metal hot end or am I missing something ?

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

OK I'll think about a new hot end at a later date , the PETG I have has a recommended temp range of 220 to 250 so its safe anyway , thanks again .

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I had a frustrating , instructive and eventually productive day yesterday , after getting correct Z height ( I had to raise it a bit as you found ), speed , retraction and finally retraction speed dialed in I got a couple of good prints done .
I really had to slow the first layer down ! And at first the stringing was dreadful to the point that it was pulling the first layer off , I had to double my retraction from 5 to 10 and halve the retraction speed , I found 245 °C nozzle temp and 85°C bed was what I needed , I also found my bed thermister is out , a displayed 85 is actually just under 80 and that explains a lot , I always found I needed a hotter bed that most people and now I know why .
I printed up two of the longer rear trailing arms for my modified 834b and fitted them , I'm going to have to redesign them as there's too much twist , I'm going to give them a try as is to test their overall strength , I know I'll probably need FRP reinforcements in the end but I'm going to try to add some extra ribs first, after all in the old days we couldn't just redesign and print a new set we ,had to modify what we had , now we have a choice :D .

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I finished off building an enclosure this morning , I got lucky , my daughter not so much ,she naught a cheap plastic green house to try and grow some veg in but our garden has an almost constant cross wind at the best of times , two days after she put it up we had strong winds that knocked that flimsy green house flat ! We did replace it I'm not a monster but I did salvage the poles clear plastic sheeting and enough connectors to make an enclosure with a nice zip door :D

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Its far from perfectly sealed , it was a walk in green house that got cut down and the clear plastic is just cable tied in place not even taped , its good enough , another big plus is the dust and dog hair will be kept out more , we have 4 dogs and right now 3 of them are moulting off their winter coats , 2 of them are Border Collies and if you know about dogs then you know they can re carpet a wood floor house when they moult !.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Designed and printed some shock mounts for my Bruiser clone , i used your tip on extending a hole down to the bed to get a clean print , there was an odd affect though , i started by making the tube down to the deck with a .2 mm wall thickness but when i sliced it it was not included ? i had to up the wall thickness to .4 mm to make it print , I'm guessing it was below the min wall thickness so it didn't print . I printed them in PETG , I've still only got white so I'll reprint them in black when it arrives .

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »