New old timer with a hello, pics and some questions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

beardxxxd
Approved Member

New old timer with a hello, pics and some questions

Post by beardxxxd »

First post here.
Name is Adam and I pulled out my old RC10 Team car recently because I knew I had some time to kill over the Christmas vacation.
I have the BUG again!!

I think I stopped keeping up with RC probably around 93. Girls and their parts just became more interesting.
So you can understand my surprise when I checked out tower hobbies and 10 turn motors were the norm.

my current and old school set up:
-RC10 Team car w/ stealth
-2 - 7.2v Sears DieHard battery packs from 1986-87ish
-Novak 410-M5 ESC
-Futaba Magnum Sport (FP-T2PB) with a (FP-R102JE) reciever
-HPI? Cyclone II 91' stock motor with orginal brushes :)
-81 spur and 30 pinion - (?? ya dont ask)
-Five Star 5501 AC/DC charger.

Check out that sweet battery pack / I am going to move the ESC down to the chassis and do a complete tear down and clean of the car / Motor and trans are out
Story on the paint job is this:
First time I went to the local hobby shop on a race night. I got there early for "warm ups" and found out I could not race a clear body. Called the parents, got home, after 5 mins - some paint and some masking tape, I was out the door :) I had to use someones "cool down fan" till the last sec before the first race to get my "paint job" to dry.
This is my old charger and pistol controller

Now for the future and some questions if you dont mind:
I want to spend about $100 on this car, to relive my childhood in all its glory.

-battery pack - It seems like the radio shack 3300mAH battery pack seems is a great deal
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2147160&cp=2032056.2032147&parentPage=family

?1. Will my old charger, charge this battery fine or will it ruin it. / Do you have any other suggestions? / Will it be ok with my ESC

-motor - I was looking at modified motors as I wanted something faster then I started reading up on the new brushless.
Then I decided its crazy for me to spend alot on this, so Im kind of leaning towards this motor.
Team Orion "x"T Double Method R Motor
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJBY5&P=0

?2. IS this a decent motor for light use? / will it work with my ESC? / What turn would you suggest for 75% road, 25% grass

- pinion and spur
I guess im going to get a new 81 spur then get a Robinson Racing Pinion Gear 6-Pack Even 16-26T
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEX34&P=ML

?3. Any opinions on spur and pinion for motor suggested in ?2 for 75%road, 25%grass

?4 Can anyone link me to the orginal body style that came with the old team car at towerhobbies or else where?
Body I beleive is a viper
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2708&P=7
I plan on painting it to match the RC10 from the orginal Team Car box

so my plan for my $100 is this
$25 for battery pack
$20 for motor
$11 for pinion
$4 for spur
$13 for body
$2 for wing
$4 shock oil
rest for some rear tires.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you and you have a great site here!
Adam
RC10 Team

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

welcome to the board. it looks like your car's in need of some updating. how bout you save yourself the trouble, and just give it to me. :wink: j/k

well on with your questions:

1- the charger you have was designed to charge nicads, not the newer nimh packs. there is some inexpensive chargers on the market that will charge both types. if you didn't want to get a charger right now, look for some 2400 nicad packs, and you'll be fine.

2- as for a motor, i'm not sure of the rating of your novak esc. that was the entry level esc that they offered. most entry level esc's have a higher turn rating. i wouldn't go any lower that a 15 turn, but that might even be too low. someone correct me on this if i'm wrong.

3- as for gearing with a 15 double, with an 81 spur, maybe try an 18-20 pinion. it a starting point, anyway.

4- the team car came with the viper body. same one in the link you posted.

so, those are my thoughts. hopefully some others will add to it for ya.

beardxxxd
Approved Member

Post by beardxxxd »

scr8p wrote:welcome to the board. it looks like your car's in need of some updating. how bout you save yourself the trouble, and just give it to me. :wink: j/k

well on with your questions:

1- the charger you have was designed to charge nicads, not the newer nimh packs. there is some inexpensive chargers on the market that will charge both types. if you didn't want to get a charger right now, look for some 2400 nicad packs, and you'll be fine.

2- as for a motor, i'm not sure of the rating of your novak esc. that was the entry level esc that they offered. most entry level esc's have a higher turn rating. i wouldn't go any lower that a 15 turn, but that might even be too low. someone correct me on this if i'm wrong.

3- as for gearing with a 15 double, with an 81 spur, maybe try an 18-20 pinion. it a starting point, anyway.

4- the team car came with the viper body. same one in the link you posted.

so, those are my thoughts. hopefully some others will add to it for ya.
thank you for response.

1. When you say inexpensive chargers. Your talking (-)$50 range? 2400 nicad packs seem expensive. and it might be worth upgrading if the chargers are cheap enough

2. The novak manual says it will handle any motor.. but I guess I need to remember that was any motor back then.

3. From my recent research it seems like a 22 - 24 pinion would be good for a 15turn double with the stealth.. have some input?

4. Thank you

Any other cheap upgrades you can think of?
Whats your opinion of that motor? Would I be better off spending 30-40 bucks for one?
Also seems like you have to change brushes frequently? I did find some compatible brushes that said 20-30 runs.. Ya I know ill proabably loose some performance but Im about cheap and reliable with this

Here my site to my main focus the last 2 years.

http://beard.freaksho.net/
RC10 Team

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Welcome!

I returned to the hobby about 2 years ago. I remember saying something about $100 too LOL! Sounds like you're about where I was not long ago.

I stuck with my old Tekin charger and picked up another along the way. I also picked up 4 1500 NiCd packs for about $30 shipped. Before you spend your $100 on batteries, figure out how much you'll run.

Try 64 pitch gears for light duty runs (more efficient). I'm happy with Robinson pinions/Kimbrough spurs. Check tower, rcboyz...

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i have a mrc superbrain i got off ebay for HELLA cheap. some people despise them for being cheap and false peaking, (cut off before fully charged), but for the money its served me very very well. easy to use as well. it false peaks sometimes, but i just hit the charge button again and it pulls through.

44 bucks new:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAVN1&P=ML

andrewm707
Approved Member

Post by andrewm707 »

hella?!?! i thought that was a west coast saying?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

andrewm707 wrote:hella?!?! i thought that was a west coast saying?
i'm bad. i'm nationwide.

beardxxxd
Approved Member

Post by beardxxxd »

knucklebuster wrote:Welcome!

I returned to the hobby about 2 years ago. I remember saying something about $100 too LOL! Sounds like you're about where I was not long ago.

I stuck with my old Tekin charger and picked up another along the way. I also picked up 4 1500 NiCd packs for about $30 shipped. Before you spend your $100 on batteries, figure out how much you'll run.

Ya I have that feeling too that Im gonna have another money sucking hobby. but theres also a side of me that thinks I might run this car a couple times a year and thats it.
Last night I tore the whole car down and scrubbed all the parts.
I need to spend less than 100 "right now" i have a $1200 AR variant in the works by summer.

I was looking at 1900 NiCD packs.. would work for me but what do you suggest for the fastest motor (in the $20-$30 range) with my esc
so that the 1900's would give me about 10-15mins of run time?

BTW again.. this site is great.. a bunch of 30years olds or so talking about their toys from when they were teenagers.. gotta love the "intranet".

and am i still able to get steering links like this rig has?
RC10 Team

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

I don't think you'll get 10 minutes from a 1900 pack no matter what motor you get. I would highly suggest getting a cheap peak charger and one or two NIMH battery packs. The radio shack battery you posted above is pretty decent, I have one, and for the money it's hard to beat. You can get a basic DC only peak charger for less than $20, and if you shop around enough you can even find them for $10 on sale.

The one Hoopty is talking about, the MRC super-brain 959, is a very good charger for the money, and I have seen them sell on ebay used for around $25. I had one for a while, and it did false peak a couple times, but like hoopty said, just press play again and your good to go.

Trus tme, the money you spend on a cheap peak charger and NIMH batteries is well worth it, it will make your R/C'in much more fum and far less of a hassle.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

if it were me i'd totally upgrade to a couple nimh 'sport' packs and get a superbrain to charge them with. a nimh pack will give you lots more runtime. you can get the cheap sport packs off tower for around 20-25 bucks, prolly cheaper than that off ebay.

that particular steering setup isnt available anymore, it was made by composite craft. very nice setup tho, i wish they were still made.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

I always assumed NiMH were the norm for racers and only provided a little more juice and 1-2 minutes extra run time (+/-500-900mAh). In general, what are run times for 2400NiMH batteries with mild modified motor/gearing?

Sharkman
Approved Member

Post by Sharkman »

I know this is not the place to sell goodies,but I have 4-packs of 2400's with Deans connectors,with many,many charges left on them.Battery technology passed my wallet technology back then.The packs are in excellent condition.I also have a couple newer stock motors laying around. If your interested,get in touch,we'll work something out.Pics available. Welcome back! :twisted:
Dan

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Sharkman wrote:I know this is not the place to sell goodies,but I have 4-packs of 2400's with Deans connectors,with many,many charges left on them.Battery technology passed my wallet technology back then.The packs are in excellent condition.I also have a couple newer stock motors laying around. If your interested,get in touch,we'll work something out.Pics available. Welcome back! :twisted:
if you know it aint the place to sell goodies then why do it?

i see a trend here. one that needs to be nipped...

PLEASE post things for sale in the appropriate section or take it to pm.

from now on any posts i see in this section that even suggest something is for sale will be deleted with extreme prejudice.

not tryin to be a jerk, but rules are rules.