Scary ordeal at 3am

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mAdMan
Approved Member

Scary ordeal at 3am

Post by mAdMan »

I ate some sh**ty Applebee's last night. Went home, watched a movie, and went to bed. Everything was normal. At 3am I am woken up from a dead sleep in a coughing fit. I couldn't breathe. The burning and stinging was unbearable. I refluxed some acid and inhaled it. I don't have acid reflux disease and this has never happened. I'm 31.

So after about 90 seconds I was able to start getting air all the while my wife is holding the phone asking if she should call 911 and I'm just shaking my head no (like a idiotic macho man). Today, I'm sick as a dog. Lungs hurt, headache, stomach aches, and phlegm just keeps draining. Feels like pneumonia. If it lasts after today I'll go to the urgent care.

But holy hell...this was insane.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Scary ordeal at 3am

Post by klavy69 »

not acid reflux...valentines day and you know you didn't get your wife anything :mrgreen:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Hope you feel better. The not being able to breath is very scary! I speak from experience as it feels like you are drowning, not a good feeling. If it continues, please go see a doctor asap!

Now for the bad news. You are 31, it's all downhill for the body bro! Things just don't work like the did when you were 20. Don't eat late dinners and go to bed. Look forward to other deterioration from now on. (The worst for me was my eyes, but that was at 44 so you have a way to go. :lol: ) Try to live a more healthy lifestyle. We all cant be Thumbs! You know!.... drink lots of beer, eat lots of BBQ, ribs n shit, have lots of sex! (DAMN YOU THUMBS!) :lol:

Take care, and you will be fine!

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Well Rod, you got 2 out of 3 right! :lol: Sorry Madman. Hope you feel better. Take care of yourself.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

About a month after my 30th I sneezed and sharted. I knew then that I had peaked. :(

Thanks guys :lol:

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Being woken up by reflux choking and the burning and the inqbility to breathe sucks,i still get it from time to time.Just dont overeat or ly down after eating.Tv watchers do it all the times.I hate reflux :lol:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I'm 35, and I've only seen a doctor a handful of times in around the last 25 years. I have some problems I deal with but I suppose I'm doing far better than a lot of people my age.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

slotcarrod wrote:Hope you feel better. The not being able to breath is very scary! I speak from experience as it feels like you are drowning, not a good feeling. If it continues, please go see a doctor asap!

Now for the bad news. You are 31, it's all downhill for the body bro! Things just don't work like the did when you were 20. Don't eat late dinners and go to bed. Look forward to other deterioration from now on. (The worst for me was my eyes, but that was at 44 so you have a way to go. :lol: ) Try to live a more healthy lifestyle. We all cant be Thumbs! You know!.... drink lots of beer, eat lots of BBQ, ribs n shit, have lots of sex! (DAMN YOU THUMBS!) :lol:

Take care, and you will be fine!
+1 on the eye thing, I am 41 and knock on wood (my head) have not had really anything wrong with me thus far. Although now getting back into the hobby I am noticing that I need to take my glasses off to see up close and focus.

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

I've already got detached vitreous' in both eyes. The floaters are huge sometimes. Looks a lot like a gnat 3 inches in front of me. Has me swatting the air sometimes, as the floaters like to move around my eye. It really made me depressed a few years back when I found out. But it's just one of those things you have got to live with. Doc said it would go away but it's not usually common until 60-70 years of age. :(

I believe someone can live their life too fast. Do too much and wear down the body prematurely...we are not machines yet we treat ourselves and are treated by others like we are expendable. Life is cruel, cry me a river, yadda yadda yadda... :roll: sorry not trying to get all sentimental here :P

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I have floaters as well. They started 4 years ago this April. I'm sure they're attributed to staring at a computer screen an unfathomable amount of time for many many years now. They usually only bother me sometimes when I'm outside. Other than that my vision is perfect while everyone else in my immediate and extended family need glasses to some extent.

Being that I want it to stay that way as long as possible, I decided that It's time I start taking Lutein/Zeaxanthin. As a matter of fact, my first bottle of it will be here tomorrow.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Dude - go to the doctor anyways just to be safe. It could be food poisoning or something like that. Better safe than sorry!

BTW, age doesn't mean anything either. Had a guy on my hockey team 10 years ago (we were all 35), and he literally dropped dead of a heart attack on the bench. He was not a drinker, not a smoker or anything. Came back to the bench, said he wasn't feeling well and keeled over. Just like that, gone.

I had a wake up call myself about 2 months ago. Was getting checked in for a kidney stone procedure and each time a nurse checked my blood pressure, they said it was a little high (139 / 99 - normal range is 120 / 80). Had my doctor check and it was high. So I immediately started researching. Turns out I need more citrus fruit in my diet (also beneficial for preventing kidney stones) and I needed to exercise more to lose weight (about 10 lbs). So far I'm down 5 and my blood pressure in closer to the normal range (about 125 / 93) so I'm not in the clear yet but its a reminder that we just need to eat right and exercise to stay healthy!
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

If it was food poisoning, every muscle in your body would be sore.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

The hard to breathe part could've pointed to an allergic reaction...maybe some ingredient got in there to affect you...but the acid reflux is something else.

I had a similar thing happen to me a while ago. I had one of those ramen noodle packages, I can't remember the brand but it was a hot and spicy one. I'd eaten them before but never had a problem. But this one gave me very troubling symptoms an hour or two after I ate it before going to bed. I woke up with the acid reflux you described, but instead of the trouble breathing, I felt like my heart was racing. I'd never felt that before! I could feel it thumping away in my chest as if I'd just run up a couple flights of stairs or something.

I think I just drank a couple glasses of water and fortunately things settled down, but the weird heartburn lasted another hour or two.

I figure there was some chemical or preservative or MSG or something in that particular package in higher quantity than normal and I had an adverse reaction to it.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

mAdMan
Approved Member

Post by mAdMan »

Americans want healthcare for free. Yet the healthcare we pay for is complete and utter shit. Americans really think that if it becomes "free" that we will magically receive better care? If doctors took a pay cut do you really think your going to get better treatment?

I just had to tell the doctor what to prescribe me. I even used the proper terminology: "I aspirated some stomach acid while sleeping and 48 hours later i have a fever and yellow mucus." . She wanted to give me antacids. I don't have acid reflux this happened one time. She proceeded to tell me I had probably done it many times before and just didn't know (I have never seen this doctor before, my doc was booked). I said for the second time, "I inhaled stomach acid, I have a fever and am coughing up yellow please give me antibiotics." She checked my temp (100.7), told me she didn't agree but will prescribe it anyways.

What. the. F**K!!!

-sorry for the rant