Butch's RC10 Resto

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

FordPSD
Approved Member

Butch's RC10 Resto

Post by FordPSD »

Here is my finished RC10 restoration. I bought the car new back in the late 80's. It wasn't built to be a buggy. It was a NASCAR racer. That's what they were doing at the time. It was an asphalt car. When that ended it went in the closet for many years. Then I took it out and turned it into a monster truck. After awhile it went back in the closet for many years again. So a couple months ago I decided to bring it back out and restore it. I have modified the tranny somewhat and it has bearings. I ground down some plastic from the case to make sure the gears inside and the outdrives don't touch ant part of the case. The interior gears have been ground or sanded for a smooth mesh. The non-flanged interior drive bearing has only the inner race installed meaning only one interior support bearing in the outdrive. Years ago they thought that the double bearing could bind so that's why that mod was done. The transmission is very smooth. I also have 2 other trannies. I'm building one with all ABEC 7 bearings. It should be the smoothest yet. It will go in the buggy when I'm done.

The color of the car is Orange from Parma. I used an airbrush. It was my first time. The decals are from Associated. I bought them on Ebay. They were advertised as precut and all you had to do was peel them off and apply them. Not true. You must cut them out. It was time consuming and hard on the eyes after awhile.

The aluminum wheels are awesome. They were $70 plus $9 shipping and came from Korea in just 10 days. They do look nice.

One other thing. It has the original Reedy motor in it with the shiny blue label. I never used it. We always used handouts and I'd use them if we weren't racing. The original Reedy just sat in the box. So now it's at home in the car that it should be in and it does run.

CamplinP
Approved Member

Re: Butch's RC10 Retso

Post by CamplinP »

Looks great. It's nice that much of the car has the history with it. My first original RC10 is long gone.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS