RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go from page 4!

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go on page 4!

Post by Coelacanth »

I'm loving that Galaxy! Nice work so far on the museum displays. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

LurkingCAT wrote:
V12 wrote:Nice pictures. Are there close up pictures of Mirage cars? Really like them.
Thanks! Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the Mirages for now. What I have is a similar setup as earlier with both the Mirage 12 (Corvette) and the newer Mirage T (a true Slotcar Production). A BIG difference now you can see in the box - a Sping motor! See you've also got one on your web page. Hope to use the Sping in a future replica of the Minicars XII Comp that Terje Haugen (Norwegian fellow) used in the 1982 Euros, and got 3. place.
Thanks for pictures. Seems like your Sping motor is same type as mine. I really like their modified motors with slotted can. Hope to find one some day, also Mirage and Minicars cars.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Thank you guys. The Galaxy is cool with the cages. As you see I've got the blue one and I like it, the red Galaxy RS got a bit hard to source...

And V12, yes there are a few gems out there that are REALLY hard to source... There has been some talk on this forum about "the nature of the hobby" as we see all the time on ebay. The closest I get to "the nature of this hobby" is the wait to get my projects complete. Starting with a motor or a set of turnbuckles and a wild presumtuous idea isn't always as easy as one might think...

I can help you with some pictures of the Mirages - after this exhibit is taken down... Please remind me!

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

In Norway, 1985-90, we got more heavily into matching SC/SCR/SCE and testing electric motors. At the time a LHS called Small Size had one of the forefront national racing teams. As you very well know these were the days where you really had to fine tune Your running time especially before the SCE batteries. So Team Small Size of course had to be in the forefront also on battery matching. A new computer (at the time a great WOW!) based method was developed within the team, actually so successful that Schumacher was sniffing around to get it.

Developing this exhibit I was hoping to get this old battery matching setup on display. Small Size is still exist, and I've had some talks with the manager from BITD and still running the business. Unfortunately it was binned about twenty years ago... The motor tester he still had, and let me borrow it. This tester was not developed within the team but manufactured by the Norwegian Terje Brynhildsen (a bit more about him and RC Technics in my second post on page 1). It's from 1985 and one of the very early motor testers, also internationally.

Motor tester on display with a red endbell (Sprint) Tamiya Black Motor. You can also see half of one of Brynhildsens ESC.
Terje Brynhildsen, Motor tester 1.jpg
Nice to see this surviving note with data on some current motors from, I would say 1987/88.
Terje Brynhildsen, Motor tester 2.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Cool stuff
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Hi Lars, and thanx :D Good to see you around here. Now looking forward to meet up in Eskilstuna at the Nordic Vintage Challenge!

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Some more pictures from the final setup.

Micro Racing Dune Buggy (1980). These cars were sold by a LHS called Norwegian Modellers. You could get this car both with an IC and Electric motor. A simple design intended for recreational driving. The drive line consists of a solid steel axel with round rubber belts to each rear wheel axel - a simple but perhaps not very durable form of a slip differential. In the background a scan with this buggy of page from a 1980 catalog by Norwegian Modellers. This very sample of the breed was sold by Norwegian Modellers as a Complete kit with radio, with their stickers on.
Car on display, Micro Racing Dune Buggy.jpg
Circuit 20 by Kyosho. This very car came 3rd in the first 1:8 OR Nationals here in Norway 1982.
Car on display, Circuit 20.jpg
Italian flag style SG Coyote - New built front wheel drive.
Car on display, Coyote.jpg
Heathkit Spectre (1970). As one of the first Complete rc cars available (complete according to the standard of 1970 - not like todays RTR), this car became a popular entry level racing car. Also on display; book and magazines with the Spectre, Norwegian RC catalogs from the seventies, Speed - a high quality Norwegian RC journal (beginning to the middle of the eighties). The id card and the group photo is from the 1:8 Track world champs in Geneva 1979. The driver on the id card, Per Erik Syverstad, was one of the two first to get a RC car in Norway.
Car on display, Heathkit Spektre.jpg
The toxic Scorpion
Car on display, Scorpion.jpg
Scan of page from a 1980 catalog by Norwegian Modellers - Microracing Dune Buggy amongst others.
Micro Racing Norwegian Modellers 1980.jpg

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

More pics from the final setup, and some of my absolute favorites. The more drastically modified versions were left out. In this kind of display there is after all a limit to how many cool RC10's we could bring in. With a few exceptions variety and fairly standard versions were emphasized.

RC10, A stamp, new built. After the release of the Classic one has gotten more used to the look of new RC10's. Still, this new built box stock RC10 is one of my most appreciated cars. Got into the hobby in 1984, and when these boxes started trickling in to the hobby stores my dreams got very long legs. Sparking off a new era.
Car on display, AE RC10.jpg
New built JrX2. This car made instant success on the Norwegian tracks.
Car on display, JrX2.jpg
A specimen of Schumacher buggy (CAT XL with some mods). In the eighties I had several Schumachers, both buggies and 1:12 - and I really got a crush on them.
Car on display, CAT XL.jpg
In the later years I've become interested in the Predators. This year it seems that the Predator era is finally over. So even though most people are not familiar with these cars I had to put two on display under a little obituary notice. To the left a very early 1. gen carbon tub Tenth Technology Predator (1993). To the right the latest Predator to date - new built. This latest version, the Predator X11 from Team Xtreme, is also my "modern" runner.
Car on display, Predator, X11.jpg
Link to runner: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=32708

LurkingCAT

Re: RC car museum exhibition – Norway. New go from page 4!

Post by LurkingCAT »

Some serious reflections going on here...

Another new car on display is the Carlsson Comet (1985) - here mounted with a red head Novarossi. This Swedish 1:8 4WD track car was the last in Carlssons production line. To the right the little electric brother simply called Carlsson 1:12 (1980).
Car on display, Carlsson Comet, 1 12.jpg
Couple of the 1:12 track cars. The Mardave 1:12, and a new built SG Gemini SLX lexan car (originally a Phil Greeno design and production). Might seem a bit odd to put these cars together, but the theme in this section is the developent of race track surface - from the low grip vinyl and parquet where the development ended up with the lexan cars, and it's decline with the start of the new carpet era that got into grips 1983-85.
Car on display, Mardave, Gemini SLX.jpg

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

The opening day of this exhibit was 24. of August, same day as the museum had their annual Family day. I had a talk on the history of RC cars and some powerpoint slides to go with it. The local press was there as well and made an article. It seems like the fellow from the local newspaper wanted to give the RC cars a good share of the space. Of course this is in Norwegian... But the headline says "An unusual museum exhibition". The cars in the picture are RC12I, Predator X11 and the Heathkit Spectre.
Newpaper clipping.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Thanks for additional pictures. :wink:

Micro Racing Dune Buggy, I have lots of parts for this car. Unfortunately lots of double parts but no chassis parts so can´t build a car. When I found the green o-rings I wondered what´s the purpose of these, I think there will be not many cars using such transmission.

JRX2, got this car soon after release. Worked really good for me, from what I remember I won right my first race with this car. Regret now selling this car.

Gemini SLX, I really like the Lexan cars. I also have the SG Gemini as a new built car, but actually I like the Greeno version more.

Carlsson cars are interesting, but maybe not really known outside Europe.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

V12 wrote:Thanks for additional pictures. :wink:

Micro Racing Dune Buggy, I have lots of parts for this car. Unfortunately lots of double parts but no chassis parts so can´t build a car. When I found the green o-rings I wondered what´s the purpose of these, I think there will be not many cars using such transmission.

JRX2, got this car soon after release. Worked really good for me, from what I remember I won right my first race with this car. Regret now selling this car.

Gemini SLX, I really like the Lexan cars. I also have the SG Gemini as a new built car, but actually I like the Greeno version more.

Carlsson cars are interesting, but maybe not really known outside Europe.
The Micro Racing Dune Buggy is cool, hopeless and fragile :) And the o-ring drive - have no words... Actually Carlsson also have a 1:8 Track car with o-ring drive - different principal, but still not exactly giving a robust impression. Probably you also know this car, Tomolupus has got it in his Carlsson thread.

Yes, the JrX2 was really good when released. A big jump up from the old RC10 (none modified). Anything else would also have been very strange. After all Gil Losi Jr was in with AE in the developing phase of the wonderful RC10 four years earlier. Everyone has to learn some time...

Fully agree on the lexan cars. They are simply über cool 8) As with Carlsson (though of different reasons) they had their epicenter in Europe.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Old thread but at last my good friend SHY made a compilation on youtube with some takes from the exhibit. Maybe not of much use to most of you since this is in Norwegian but anyway. The first section is from our national news where this exhibition first was presented. Then SHY introducing in front of the museum - then me and the rc stuff...

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2y3_PqrZY

SHY
Approved Member

Virtual Tour :-)

Post by SHY »

Please enjoy this video from the exhibition :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2y3_PqrZY
Svein Harald Ytternes AKA SHY
The Nordic Vintage Challenge: http://www.ymr.no/nvc
Visit my showroom: http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=22039

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Thanks Svein Harald! Edited my former post to update the link.