Should I get an RC10T 4.2?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LemonC
Approved Member

Should I get an RC10T 4.2?

Post by LemonC »

So I'm thinking about selling my rc10 a stamp and getting an rc10t4.2.

My rc10 has a 6 gear transmission and from what ive read it will blow up if i put something like a 13.5t brushless motor in it and i kinda want to go faster. Ive put in a little bit of money on my rc10 and its pretty decent now other than the 6gear limitations, I don't really want to spend much more on it.

The rc10t4 has a 3 gear stealth tranny so I should be good to go for the motor I want to try out. AND it will be a truggy and will probably handle the tough grass tracks I frequent (joke) alot better than my rc10. I just want to drive on the grass mostly and go faster than my brushed 17t radon goes in my rc10.

To make my rc10 a stamp 13.5t ready, id have to build a stealth tranny which id love to do, BUT id have to drop about $100 to get all the stealth tranny parts or about the same to buy the stealth tranny kit if I could find one for sale.

Are there reasons other than the rc10b/t5 were just released that I should not consider an rc10t4? Price is good right now, and if they sell out I guess I could save more for a b5 or t5.

ezarc

Re: Should I get an RC10T 4.2?

Post by ezarc »

I'm not sure if its the same case with the T4.2 but I read all the B4 and revisions suffered from sloppy fitting parts due to neglect of the moulds.

That gave me 2 reasons to buy the B5, it was cheaper and the parts were praised for precise fitments in a lot of reviews.

(Not a fan of the cab forward design either, but I chose function over looks)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I hate to say this, but if you are looking of performance the T5M is the only way to go.

ezarc

Post by ezarc »

slotcarrod wrote:I hate to say this, but if you are looking of performance the T5M is the only way to go.
The general consensus from my research before making a purchase shows it depends on what surface you are on, mid mount motor for high traction surfaces and rear mount for low traction surfaces.

Also its often written the drivers driving style comes in to play, MM is recommended for drivers with controlled feathering of the throttle around corners MM while RM is more recommended for the point and shoot drivers.

There has been a big switch from the B5 to the B5M (I assume the same with the T5M?), it's a no brainier if you are a competitive racer in competition on high traction surfaces.

I prefer the weight over the back wheels myself as it provides more grip and better acceleration, I'm not competitive though and it suits my driving style as I'm not always constricted to tight tracks.

If you are racing I would see what the majority of others at your local track are using but the general rules I've seen is if its technical and high traction MM is the way to go, if the track is open/wide and low grip then RM is the way to go.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

My local track is one of the worst traction tracks out there. It is rough, (beaten by 1/8 cars) and it is hard pack chunky ruts with loam. It is slippery yet you can traction roll in some corners at times. I was of the same mind that the R would be better. So I mostly used my B5R. A few weeks ago I used my B5R at the Rocky Mountain Meltdown, and had TQ wrapped up on qual points, with one round left I took out the B5M and destroyed my best qual run. I raced and won the main with my B5M. My B5R has sat in the box since and will be restored and retired to shelf duty.

With the correct set up, the M chassis works better than the R's best setup. The T5M is all you need! :wink: You can thank me later! :lol:

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I have the first edition T4 and I got it in a trade. At first it was just something I planned to flip right away but as I drove it, I quickly became enamoured with it. The thing is tough as nails and has taken more abuse than all my other cars combined.

The best part I think is the gear diff. Just put it in and forget about it. The T4.2 I would assume has a ball diff which I could put on mine but honestly I like that I don't have to adjust it or do any sort of maintenance on it.

I liked it so much that I quickly bought 3 RC10T's. I'd love a T5M though. My B5M is so smooth and easy to drive. It makes me cringe a bit when I drive my other cars.

I am sure you'd enjoy the T4.2 but the T5M is probably just a bit better overall.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I race on both medium grip indoor and "dirty dirt" outdoor with a T4.1 (really a T4.2 if you consider the upgrades - big bores, arms, etc.). Anyway, most others I race with have a T5M or RT6 in mid motor configuration and are no more competitive for it. It really depends on the surface and your driving style. I'm still competitive in my area with my T4 platform, so I don't see myself upgrading for quite some time. I also drive a B5, not a B5M, and am just as competitive with that as well.

Just because it says "mid-motor" on it, doesn't make it magically faster. The one and only thing that will make you fast is your brain.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

stickboy007 wrote:I race on both medium grip indoor and "dirty dirt" outdoor with a T4.1 (really a T4.2 if you consider the upgrades - big bores, arms, etc.). Anyway, most others I race with have a T5M or RT6 in mid motor configuration and are no more competitive for it. It really depends on the surface and your driving style. I'm still competitive in my area with my T4 platform, so I don't see myself upgrading for quite some time. I also drive a B5, not a B5M, and am just as competitive with that as well.

Just because it says "mid-motor" on it, doesn't make it magically faster. The one and only thing that will make you fast is your brain.
You may even be competitive with a gold pan, but just think how much better you would be with the mid. Believe me, I was all about the rear motor! You have to run back to back with the same tires to notice significant gains in lap times. All the AE Team guys say there is no longer a need for a rear motor car. You notice AE did not make a T5R or SC5R? :wink: Just bite the bullet and get a T5M! 8)

Now if you just like running rear motor for vintage or nostalgia reasons like me, then fill your boots with 10T's to T4's! :mrgreen: Still love racing my rear T's, especially my 10T!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

On multiple occasions I have schooled a modern field with my Team Car ;)

I may try mid-motor eventually, but right now I just don't see a need to.