Coolest opportunity you have gotten with your RC?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

biff85ta
Approved Member

Coolest opportunity you have gotten with your RC?

Post by biff85ta »

I think for me it was my local club run track being invited to come to the local Monster Truck Nationals over the weekend. I got to hang out in the pits for free all weekend and play on what was essentially a bashers paradise as well as spend the weekend promoting our struggling track. We had a table out during the pit party meet and greet and got free reign of the track during intermission. I put my Ebuggy over the four cars the monster trucks used as and obstacle and the reaction of the crowd was pretty cool but the best was just sitting there watching all the little kids look at all of our toys with amazement. It wasn't your typical rc weekend for me but that is part of what made it so fun.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Coolest opportunity you have gotten with your RC?

Post by shodog »

I took my mountaineer on the Job interview at the place I work at now. My resume only reflected my Business background and none of my technical background. After showing off the truck and all my work I put into it put a clincher on the interview and I was offered a job.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I built a couple rc figures for "wee sing: under the sea" :mrgreen:
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-03-05-19-24-37.png
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

1. Got a job at Schumacher

2. Got to do a promotion with History channel and Ice Road Truckers at Nascar tracks racing Tamiya King Haulers

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

at motorama a few years back i got asked to gather up some fast guys to go entertain the motocross crowd during an intermission.

we got to drive our cars (mostly 1/8 buggies and one shuey 4wd) on the motocross track (indoor arena). the crowd loved it as we jumped way farther and were way faster then the dirtbikes.

josh
Approved Member

Post by josh »

Landed a gig as a technical writer/ contributor for RC Car magazine. I didnt do anything special, just contributed helpful posts to online forums and one of the editors liked it. He asked me to help out and I did for 3 years. So, from 2006-2009 I wrote the "Paint Shop" column :) (which, ironically, is the column directly afer the vintage column ;) ) From that I scored some test/ review vehicles (although he saved the good stuff for him :roll: :lol: ) and managed to establish a sponsorship and friendship with Parma.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I would say the coolest opportunity was spending time with my Dad building our cars and racing them on Sunday.

We both got the chance to drive our Blackfoots on the floor of the Worcester Centrum back in the 80's when the monster trucks were in town.
blackfoot-c2.jpg
blackfoot-c2.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
blackfoot-c2.jpg
blackfoot-c2.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Good times :D

ED

josh
Approved Member

Post by josh »

I was thinking about this over the weekend and Ed is absolutely right. Spending time with dad on weekends, thinking about how to make cars faster throughout the week, and learning mechanical principles (still working on the electric ones :lol: ) are definitely my fondest memories from this hobby. Dad had to show a lot of patience with me "learning". There is no way I'd let either of my boys do the stuff I used to do on a daily basis. (Although it is cool to pull stuff out of the attic and try to recall WTH I was thinking when I made a certain "mod" :lol: )

Spoon
Approved Member

Post by Spoon »

For me RC cars were a gateway to establishing my fascination with mechanical systems. Soon after my 1st hobby grade RC car build I got infatuated with 1/1 scale cars which eventually lead me to becoming a machinist.