Anyone else into Quads (aircraft)?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mk-Zero
Business Member

Anyone else into Quads (aircraft)?

Post by mk-Zero »

About a year ago I bought a $40 rtf quad from my LHS. From there I bought a couple more RTF quads and have been really enjoying them, but eventually found their limits. So I decided to take the plunge and build my own. It's a 250 size "H" quad set up for FPV and aireal video. The frame is a ZMR250 and I'm using 2204 2300kV motors, a kk2.1.5 flight controller, 12A ESCs, and an Airtronics radio system. Not shown in the pictures is my Mobius action cam, which mounts up front on top. For FPV, I'm using the Skyzone plug-and-play set from Hobby King, which I'm quite happy with for the price ($100). So far I've only flown about 5-6 packs though it, but it's really powerful and stable, more than enough power with this setup, even with 5x3 props. There is plenty of room for 6" props, and I've flown it a couple times with 6X4.5's, but honestly it was a bit much for me since I'm still getting used to it, so for now I'm sticking with the 5x3's. Haven't flown fpv with this one yet as I'm still getting used to it.
20150201_125151.jpg
I've added 3LED's to the bottom of each arm, white up front and red in back for visibility and orientation. I do most of my flying at night (non-fpv), which is a total blast.
20150131_153732.jpg

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Re: Anyone else into Quads (aircraft)?

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Nice! I'm currently checking into parts to make a custom quad. Also looking at a Fatshark FPV setup. I have a Kyosho micro quad that I picked up for $40 and have been flying around the house, honing my skills.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

I have two Nano QX quads from Blade. I fly them around all the time, Fun for sure.

KrAcOn

Post by KrAcOn »

I like the SYMA after a few S107 in my fleet... I got the Syma X11,X4 and X1. Just returned the X5c due to random crazy stuff it was doing.
RC10RPM. RC10T,RC10B3,Yokomo Mx4,RC10B5M,RC10B5M-L,RC10B4.2 .

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

I fly planes!

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Planes look like they would be a lot of fun, but that you pretty much have to be in a big field to fly them keeps me from getting one. I fly my quads in my front yard, or in the house for the smaller ones.

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

mk-Zero How does one like yours compare to something RTF like the Helimax 1SQ or the 230si?

I almost want to go that route since it would be easier and cheaper than sourcing all the parts to build one and buying an air radio.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i started with planes but only the smallest can be flown in the yard.
i switched to micro heli's, blade 120sr for the most part. it's small, powerfull, can fly inside and out, even in some decent wind.

i keep meaning to pickup a little quad but the buggies always win the battle of $$.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

No flight time with a quad as of yet. Thinking of getting a 230si with cam from tower and go from there. I do have a align 450 dfc copter that I built from a kit and finally learned to hover and do basic flight with this summer .

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

SMOKE-DOG wrote:mk-Zero How does one like yours compare to something RTF like the Helimax 1SQ or the 230si?

I almost want to go that route since it would be easier and cheaper than sourcing all the parts to build one and buying an air radio.
I'm not sure about those, but I guess it's like the difference between a "toy grade" RC car and a kit. The quality and performance will always be higher when you build from parts, but the price will be a lot higher accordingly. On the other hand, the RTF's are lots of fun, I've really enjoyed mine. I have about $500, maybe $550 in my ZMR250, including my FPV setup, and I have no doubt it would fly circles around any RTF you could buy. Just depends on your budget and how "into it" you are. For me, I played with the RTF's for about a year, plenty of time to make sure it wasn't just a "passing fancy" before I decided to invest some bux in a "real" quad.

SMOKE-DOG
Approved Member

Post by SMOKE-DOG »

Almost sold on a Quanum Venture. It's pretty much RTF and looks sick. Just needs radio, battery. My old Futaba Conquest isn't gonna get the job done so I'm looking at a 6J.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

SMOKE-DOG wrote:Almost sold on a Quanum Venture. It's pretty much RTF and looks sick. Just needs radio, battery. My old Futaba Conquest isn't gonna get the job done so I'm looking at a 6J.
Here is more-or-less what I've got http://multirotormania.com/multirotor-packages/282-100-carbon-fiber-mini-quad-bundle-wsunnysky.html
I bought my ESC's, motors from elsewhere though. I like the 250 size, because it's powerful enough to carry FPV equiptment and a Mobius, but easier to haul around and more manuverable than a larger frame.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

That first one seems a bit expensive for what it comes with... A friend of mine has the CF version of that frame though and it is a really nice layout. I like how the esc's are mounted inboard like that, makes for a clean looking quad. Also that the main chassis is long and the battery goes on it, instead of on top like mine... On the other hand, my frame can take 6" props, that one can only take up to 5". Not a big deal though, I've been flying mine with pretty mild 5" props and it's plenty fast and responsive. I would reccomend building your own if you are going to spend that much, I think for what they want for that one, I built my complete quad including the radio and FPV gear...

The second one seems like a fair, even good price for that. That's a much bigger, heavier frame though, so it probably won't be as nimble as a 250 size quad. That is a fairly inexpensve frame, I think you can get that frame by itself for like 20 bux.

For me, I like the 250 size 'cause it's much easier to lug around, you can take the props off and basically throw it in a backpack or a small case... And it's more than powerful enough to carry FPV gear and a Mobius and still be super responsive.

Let me know if you have any more questions

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Thanks Mk-Zero. Can you tell me a little bit more about what the camera does? Just it just record video onto a memory card or can you actually see where you are flying?

- LImestang