RC Labs 7Even info?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

esaresky75
Approved Member

RC Labs 7Even info?

Post by esaresky75 »

I picked up a 3-pack of RC Labs 7even 7.6 for cheap. The only reasons I purchased them is two of the three have brand new, never used chassis's and they looked well made with all the carbon fiber & aluminum parts. Info is vague at best. The manufacture seems to be out of business or at least their website. There is an importer in the UK that has parts and maybe info but I haven't received a reply to my inquiry sent on Friday but wit the time/day difference, I wouldn't expect any reply until next week. So my questions are ... anyone have history info on the company? Maybe an illustrated parts listing? Any experience with them? I'll probably built a shelfer or two and a runner wit the third.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Re: RC Labs 7Even info?

Post by AscotConversion »

My buddy used to run the car. They were out of Hong Kong. Another car that was at the end of the "non adjustable" sedan period. Some of the ideas were interesting, but the design got passed by. If I remember right, once again the roll centers were crazy and probably had weird arm lengths and way too much caster. I think the last car they came out with had bridge style hinge pin holders for some adjustability. The battery motor layout is pretty out of whack though.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I am sponsored by Modeltech, who were the UK distributers for RClab. I ran a 7.6 then the last model - the GT3 for most of the 2000s with much success!

The cars were well made & had all the adjustment of the top Touring Car chassis at the time (even now) - I came to the brand after previously racing a Losi Street Weapon & then a pair of Schumachers (98SST & Axis SST) - the 7.6 was a step ahead , with proper roll-centre angles/low diffs with straight CVD style driveshafts etc etc - it so much more sensitive to set-up changes but could be dialed-in to any track. The only thing the 7.6 lacked was inboard adjustment for the wishbones which as Ascot Conversion points out was solved with the GT3 with the seperate ali arm mounts to adjust inboard toe & squat/dive.

I actually prefered the original 7.6 with the stronger ali diffs - the later cars came with plastic (deemed lighter) outdrives which wore very quickly & were held together with a tiny 1.5mm screw which was prone to snapping. To get antisquat or pro/anti-dive with the 7.6 car I just added washers under the bulkheads - & I did a mod to the rear wishbone which introduced a small turnbuckle to get adjustable toe-in 8)

As far as I know the RClab company was based in Hong Kong & run by an enthusiast - but alas the interest waned & the company is no-more..... although, if you are looking for spares I know Mike Smith at Modeltech has a whole bunch of spares still left over - would probably be best to contact him through the Modeltech site http://www.modeltech.co.uk/catalog/default.php

My two old cars;

7.6 with adjustable rear toe mod;

GT3 Wishbone mount arrangement;

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Manufactured in Hong Kong, but Modeltech did a lot of development work and produced most of the upgrade parts for it.

I used to run a 7.6 Evo1, still do on occasion. Good solid cars, the only part that breaks is the front hub snapping at the kingpin screw hole, but then you just use it as a rear upright instead. Mine now runs Tamiya TA04 layshaft pulleys and ball diffs. Lack of rear toe adjustment is the only disadvantage. The kit C hubs are designed to rock backwards and forwards, gives an active castor change.

Manuals and setup advice can still be found here
http://www.modeltech.co.uk/rclab/

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

^^Me with my 'Lab'^^

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/199-rclab-7even-cars.html

The old rctech thread...quite a bit to chew on :)

tommyharmonic

Post by tommyharmonic »

Did anyone get anywhere with this? would love to find a couple parts for a rclab 7even if anyone can point me in the right direction

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

AscotConversion wrote:http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/199-rclab-7even-cars.html

The old rctech thread...quite a bit to chew on :)
That's always been the problem with RCTech...in this case, 93 pages of blather with probably 5 pages of useful, helpful info. The challenge is trying to find the needles-in-the-haystack. :roll:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

chrisimp

Post by chrisimp »

Not been on here long joined for the traxxas section but also just found this post.

here's my lab 7.7 ive been piecing back together, I was a team driver in 2003/4 love the car its a great quality kit shame interest dwindled really :( oh and minimal advertising didnt help I keep getting told!

alcyon
Approved Member

Post by alcyon »

there was a strong team in Malaysia , but unfortunately their drivers were average at best. I gave some setup tips to the importer but he didn't want to take my advice, so...I really liked the car and I believed I could have done som ething with it, but since I already had my Kawada Alcyon, I didn't bother. I liked the seven sevens battery and motor placement compared to the more conventional TRF415 type layout that dominates until now.