JRX-LTO #1

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fredswain
Approved Member

JRX-LTO #1

Post by fredswain »

I'm currently building two different JRX cars on two different types of oval chassis. This is the first. The chassis is the Bullet Racing 7+4 oval chassis, more commonly known as the "where did I put my batteries" chassis. It uses the 5 link rear end with a JCar direct drive. The turnbuckles are Lunsford Punisher titanium and use metric ball studs and ball cups from the 22. The bellcrank is RPM. More info to follow.
Attachments
JRX oval right front overall.jpg
JRX oval left front overall.jpg
JRX oval front overall.jpg
JRX oval JCar.jpg
JRX oval overall top.jpg
JRX oval bellcranks.jpg
JRX oval bottom overall.jpg
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

fredswain
Approved Member

Re: JRX-LTO #1

Post by fredswain »

The lowering kit is custom. Barry Raborn (founder of Bullet Racing) used to custom make all kinds of things. I found a couple of rear lowering towers in his boxes of parts and thought that one would be perfect for this build. I also found a front lowering kit too but it was quite crude. The stock front tower is replaced by a new shorter one that lays the shocks over. Barry used graphite mounts screwed onto the front of the arms to fully allow the shocks to lay down. The problem was that you really had to limit overall steering throw since the tires would easily hit the shock. I didn't like this setup so I designed a new mount that could be 3D printed. It lines up the shocks in a straight line as viewed from the top but the shocks now mount to the front of the mount rather than the rear.

Here are some photos of his solution and mine. Ignore the location of the screw in his graphite lower mount. It points forwards but I quickly mounted it to an arm to take a picture of and didn't pay attention. The new mounts look and work perfectly. It only took me about 20 minutes to design and load them to Shapeways. These are the very first prints and they are perfect!

More to come on this car. The front bulkhead will be replaced by a black one. I have new 8-32 screws on order that are anodized in red to match the wheels and JCar DD. I've still got a few e-clips to install and some superglue to get off of the chassis. Someone had actually glued the servo mounts to the chassis.

More to come...
Attachments
JRX oval proto mount 1.jpg
JRX oval proto mount 2.jpg
JRX oval 3D mount 1.jpg
JRX oval 3D mount 2.jpg
JRX oval 3D mount 3.jpg
JRX oval 3D mount 4.jpg
JRX oval front shock mount.jpg
JRX oval front shock orientation.jpg

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Very cool! I recently built a carpet oval jrx2 using a Grand Motorsports chassis. I'm still fine tuning, so I'll be watching this with interest for any tips. Keep up the good work!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

The other car will be an H-arm car but sadly the nearest dirt oval track is 250 miles from here and it just closed for the season. I'm giving these cars to Barry when I'm done and he'll probably just keep them on a display shelf.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Awesome!

It's nice to finally see one of those Losi JCAR's on a roller. Maybe I'll start building mine soon. :mrgreen:

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Do you need a Bullet lowering kit? I was planning on using the JG kit on the other car since I have one but I really like the way this one turned out. The other car is going to be very different. It'll use the other Bullet chassis that allows for a battery on the left side only. No cell cutouts. It'll use the Invencer steering rack, H-arms, the LRM gearbox, and gray shocks. The plan is currently to use the JG kit but we'll see. I'll have two entirely different JRX oval cars which should be pretty cool.

Before these cars go to Barry's house, I'm going to 3D model the chassis up with plans so they can be made again if ever need/wanted. Hopefully this chassis will be ready within a week. The next car has already started but I'm not giving it anymore time until I get this one completely done. The LTO "where did I put my batteries" RC10 is after that.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

These are the final shots of the car as I'll have it. I suspect it will just sit on a shelf as a display so I doubt it'll ever have a body or will run again. We don't have dirt oval here anyways. You never know though.

The front bulkhead is now black and the 8-32 screws are now red to match the red JCAR direct drive and the red wheels. I really like this car so it's hard to let it go. At least I get visitation rights!
Attachments
JRX oval final front 2.jpg
JRX oval final front.jpg
JRX oval final front bottom.jpg
JRX oval final bottom.jpg
JRX oval final iso.jpg
JRX oval final left.jpg
JRX oval final rear.jpg

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

That car looks great...and I love the red.

I also have that chassis, but I always thought it was a composite craft. Mine is currently sitting on a shelf waiting to be completed. Originally wanted to d a red car to match the bell cranks, but I couldn't find the rear wheels to match. Had a set of yellows...so I went with that instead. Latest plan was to get a set of the re-released A&L bell cranks since the yellow is now closer to a losi yellow instead of the florescent yellow.
jrx2 oval.jpg
Regards,
Roger

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

It's actually a Raborn chassis. I get Bullet and Raborn products mixed up sometimes, which is easy to do when the owner of both is the same person. If it's offroad, it's Bullet. If it's oval, it's Raborn. Composite Craft did make them though.

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

Yep it is most likely a Raborn chassis and no I don't have this one anymore.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

biff85ta wrote:Yep it is most likely a Raborn chassis and no I don't have this one anymore.
That's because I do. :wink: :mrgreen:

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I just might have another Raborn chassis lying around too. ;)