So I finally went to the track today

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

So I finally went to the track today

Post by RC104ever »

I finally, after years of promising myself, went to one of my local RC track's today. I guess you can only bash for so long before you convince yourself that you're 'ready' to race. And more importantly, I felt like my cars had been thrashed enough that I had all the kinks worked out.

We show up and pay and walk out and there is literally NO ONE there today. It's a practice day and I know I'm on vacation but too bad no one came out.

Fortunately, the stand was still up and the track was mostly dry, with a few slightly muddy sections. But we figured it was just us so it should be lots of fun regardless.

Well, about 15 mins in, my B44 pops a front dog bone and I see that the shock tower mount had lost a screw somehow. That was my day done (we didn't bring any tools or spare parts because we were there just to try it out).

But my T4 has proven to be an absolute rock solid beast. It drove around and around the track fearlessly and took all of the punishment and kept coming back for more. My 13 yr old son was the driver the whole time and it was excellent on the track.

But the real surprise was the RC10. It has the 2.2" tires and wheels, with a Castle Sidewinder ESC and 5700 brushless motor. Running a FlySky TX/RX, Savox servo with a Gens Ace lipo. Otherwise it is stock - stock shocks, stock Stealth tranny. It has the long front arms.

Here's a couple videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B2JZ1Yk6yA&list=UUk9DlStl9fcBIcxyPEsjt1A&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbyx1B-xoxI&list=UUk9DlStl9fcBIcxyPEsjt1A&index=1

Now it does have fairly new rubber - Proline Calibers. The surface is really hard (except for the parts that had become a bit muddy). What kind of tires would you guys use?

I was surprised by how slow you have to go in order to really make it around the track. I also found that the back end would slide a bit. I'm guessing that I'm still over steering, then over compensating.

Any other suggestions for racing?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

GodSpeed
Approved Member

Re: So I finally went to the track today

Post by GodSpeed »

Hey Chris, where is that? Getting bored of the baseball diamond.....and I don't like the gritty sand/gravel surface for the car a whole lot.

There's a BMX track at Nelson park, to the west of the splash pad/pool, which I've considered going to. Haven't seen it up close but I know it's there. Jumps are probably a bit big. Haha

With the right tires a skate park might be fun too. :D

Communities are so built up these days that gone are the local free tracks in near-by fields built by kids and enthusiasts in the area.

Hotrod Hobbies just over the Skyway has an indoor carpet track. I don't know what they charge for use but I bet it's reasonable. Their prices on cars and parts are good.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Looks like you are pushing a bit. I like Proline Hole Shot's in M3 front (2wd front) and rear. They are a great all around tire but will not last long on a hard dry surface.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

This is Sid's Raceway, at Britannia and Ninth Line in Mississauga. It's in the Sid's Garden Centre yard. $10 / car, and open M-F for practice from 10 am to 7 pm.

I think that Hole Shots were recommended for this track by the guy who runs it. He did tell me that Calibers are just okay for the track and now I can see why. I do have a set of Hole Shots so should be good to try them out. I do like the Calibers because they last longer on pavement (which is where I primarily drive).

Godspeed - I went to the BMX track at Nelson last weekend and that got me hooked for a 'real' race track. The thing about that place is that your car has to be REALLY put together well or it will fall apart quickly. The T4 did perfectly, likely because of the bigger tires. My B44 did fairly well too and only popped a ballcup once. A regular RC10 would need some upgrades before I'd take it to the BMX track (like carbon fibre shock towers for starters). It was stupid fun though.

I will be going back again next week to try the track with a softer compound tire to see if it helps my driving. I guess we'll see.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars