Wife needs a new car

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: Wife needs a new car

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

1 serials are US
2 serials are CN
3 are germany
4 are Mexico

as I remember-
Not quite.

1, 4 & 5 are Yankee
2 is Kanook
3 and 9 is Mexicistan
6 is down unda
J is Japan
K is Korea
W or T is Kraut
S is Limey
V is France
Y is Sweden
Z is Italy
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Hardly any of the parts one any cars are made in the USA. Most of the parts on so-called "American" cars are made in Canada or Mexico, and many of them are assembled in the same place. There is no such thing as an American car. There's plenty of kool-aid. Chevy just built four brand new manufacturing facilities in China to build Corvettes amd Silverados.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

i work for vw and i'd take a mexican built car over a german built car any day.
the puebla plant has excellent qc. the new vw plant in chattanooga tn is where the new passats are built.
i'm currently in a new passat and i am pleasantly suprised by the build quality. the germans on the other hand.....well they miss welds. :shock:

(3) is a mexican vin# btw.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

justinspeed79 wrote:Hardly any of the parts one any cars are made in the USA. Most of the parts on so-called "American" cars are made in Canada or Mexico, and many of them are assembled in the same place. There is no such thing as an American car. There's plenty of kool-aid. Chevy just built four brand new manufacturing facilities in China to build Corvettes amd Silverados.
those cars will be for the asian market from what i understand. same with the jeep plant that china got.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

those cars will be for the asian market from what i understand. same with the jeep plant that china got.
Yup.

The Chinese have been ripping off designs in spite of international copyright laws for years anyway, so some companies decided they may as well license them, make a little money and have some oversight.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

May be for a different market, but the point is they're building, arguably, the most American car and truck ever created in China.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

More than half of the parts have to be made in the U.S. to be considered "American-made” According to the "Buy American Act of 1933" Federal Trade Commission oversees this. Substantial cost of those products also have to have come from some sort of US base... For example, if a part is made of steel and the company that made it got the steel from China, then that part cannot be considered "American made" since the substantial cost of the part is not from an American company..... So essentially, a car only has to be 50.1% American made.

There is also another rule somewhere from some other act that the car has to have the state in which it was manufactured labeled on it from original point of sale... I'm not sure about that one, but I do know my Super Duty had a Kentucky label on it, and my Mustang had a Michigan label on it.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

More than half of the parts have to be made in the U.S. to be considered "American-made” According to the "Buy American Act of 1933" Federal Trade Commission oversees this. Substantial cost of those products also have to have come from some sort of US base... For example, if a part is made of steel and the company that made it got the steel from China, then that part cannot be considered "American made" since the substantial cost of the part is not from an American company..... So essentially, a car only has to be 50.1% American made.
The regulations regarding parts/materials content and percentage of cost vary from product to product, but yes, a legally labeled "made in USA" item can contain a substantial amount of globally sourced parts/materials.

Then there is the newer labeling trend you have to watch for, which is to emblazon the box with an American flag and a little bitty subtext that says "assembled in USA" or "designed in USA". Perfectly legal, but the item may be 100% imported parts.

We haven't had a 100% American made automobile since the early 70s; they all started seeing imported Japanese or German electronics when solid state came in, and it was downhill from there.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy collecting firearms so much; they are one of the few products on the market that can still be found (in large numbers) that are truly American made. Yes, sometimes the raw materials are sourced, but I don't consider that imported, for the same reason that I won't tell someone they didn't build something from scratch just because they didn't forge their alloy from raw ore or pump their own oil and refine it into a polymer.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Not quite on topic, but since others brought it up, my dad has a Jetta Sportwagen TDI built in Pueblo. It's had minor electrical problems and a stuck exhaust flap, but no major issues and feels quite solid at 60,000 miles.
Seriously, how many people here work for Volkswagen? Kaiser, Rc104ever, anyone else?
Do you have any requirements besides "not an import"?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

noony
Approved Member

Post by noony »

Marlo my hats off to you buddy,I'm an auto worker so I appreciate you wanting a vehicle from the big three.
we all know that all of our autos have foreign parts on them,we live in a global word. Here's a web sit that might help http://levelfieldinstitute.org

If it helps I can get you a friends discount,its not a lot but it'll save some.(Chrysler)

Ron

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

noony wrote:If it helps I can get you a friends discount,its not a lot but it'll save some.(Chrysler)
DAMN............. i forgot about that again. my kid just bought a new 2014 avenger sxt blacktop edition last week.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Marlo, I bet Scr8p could build you an American car 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

with reproduction parts made in china. :lol:

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

scr8p wrote:with reproduction parts made in china. :lol:
[youtube]RpKRfwQbYC8[/youtube]
The wife and I are going on Sat..........I think, but the ball is rolling. I will for sure keep it updated. I'm so happy for her, she's so excited. After all the RC stuff that comes in, I suppose a new car should keep her happy :wink:

Oh, I forgot to add, we have a friend discount, not sure how much, but it's something.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:
The regulations regarding parts/materials content and percentage of cost vary from product to product, but yes, a legally labeled "made in USA" item can contain a substantial amount of globally sourced parts/materials.

Then there is the newer labeling trend you have to watch for, which is to emblazon the box with an American flag and a little bitty subtext that says "assembled in USA" or "designed in USA". Perfectly legal, but the item may be 100% imported parts.

We haven't had a 100% American made automobile since the early 70s; they all started seeing imported Japanese or German electronics when solid state came in, and it was downhill from there.

This is one of the reasons I enjoy collecting firearms so much; they are one of the few products on the market that can still be found (in large numbers) that are truly American made. Yes, sometimes the raw materials are sourced, but I don't consider that imported, for the same reason that I won't tell someone they didn't build something from scratch just because they didn't forge their alloy from raw ore or pump their own oil and refine it into a polymer.
That's the thing, The FTC does not consider parts made out of out-sourced materials American made... They consider the material the most substantial cost of the product.... In other words, a chunk of steel could come from China and the part is made out of it in the USA and that is not considered "American Made" in the eyes of the FTC because its Chinese steel.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback