New member here. Introducing myself

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tbfoto
Approved Member

New member here. Introducing myself

Post by tbfoto »

Hi guys/gals I'm kind of new here. I've only been into RC for about two years now. A friend of mine got his grandson a Associated T3 and he was racing it. It sounded like fun so I started looking on e-bay for myself a car/truck. I had no idea there were so many different models. All I knew was the name Associated. So when I found something in my (cheap) price range on e-bay, I bought it. It turned out to be RC10T in not so good shape. So I shopped some more and found a combo deal with another RC10T and a RC10. These both turned out to be in very good condition with a tool box full of parts. Enough to replace most of the bad parts on the first RC10T that I bought. I've taken the RC10T to a local track and learned how to "drive" and race. I placed third in the stock class in my first big race. There were about 25 entries that day. I had no idea that RC racing would be so intence. These guys take it real serious. I thought it was going to be all for fun but WOW...it can be pretty hardcore. It was fun to listen to people refering to me as that guy with the "old" truck! I have since bought a T3 and a T4 but I really enjoy the older trucks more. There is just something about them that makes them special. I havent done much with my buggys other than run them up and down the street a few times. I was given a goldpan buggy the other day and have just started going through it. It is in real rough shape. 6 gear tranny is shot. I asked here the other day where to get the idlers and someone did provide a link to Tower (thank you). I just ordered new bearings fot it tonight. I'm not quite sure what I want to do with this buggy. I may turn it into some kind of Truggy. I hope that is ok with everyone here ...or does everyone here think they should all be restored? I know this is a long post so thanks for bearing with me. I hope to learn alot here.

Tbfoto

bscotti
Approved Member

Re: New member here. Introducing myself

Post by bscotti »

Welcome and congrats on your race finish! It's got to be fun to beat up all those guys that have the latest and greatest stuff with your classic truck!
Classics rule, moderns drool

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I am also new to the board and very happy I found it!

I used to race back in the late 80s early 90s atleast once a week. I have been mostly collecting vintage Tamiya, but since I started working on my RC-10 again I might buy some new parts and hit the track. Not sure the old tranny can hold up to today's power, but it would be fun to beat them people with an old school buggy :-)! I do have my original JR-X2 in the wings if needed with a Ready silver dot ...

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

welcome to the board and that's cool to hear about your 10T and you placing 3rd in your race. Post some pics of your vehicles.

tbfoto
Approved Member

Post by tbfoto »

I think that I could have finished better if I could drive better. I have raced both my RC10T and my T4. There really isnt that much difference between the two once you get them set up. In fact I only bought the T4 because everyone told me that it was so much better. I was expecting to set it on the track and simply "fly" . WRONG!!!! Winning races is all about driver skill. Iwould say 80% driver 10% truck and 10% luck. I'm sure that a top level driver can tell the difference in them but for the other 95% of us......the RC10T can still be competitive.

I'll get some photos posted sometime.

Tbfoto

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Welcome to RC10Talk
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

soniccj5 wrote:Not sure the old tranny can hold up to today's power
I was testing my Mamba Brushless/Stealth combo this weekend....in tranny killing backyard grass with my IB4200's. No issues, cant wait to hit the track with this monster.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

tbfoto
Approved Member

Post by tbfoto »

Thanks everyone, I think I will learn alot here. I've enjoyed reading all the posts.

tbfoto