The rebuild of Hollowman's old JRX-2

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hondaman
Approved Member

The rebuild of Hollowman's old JRX-2

Post by hondaman »

Hello all.. I decided to post up some stuff about my JRX-2 that I have had since new.. I picked this up in about 1989 after a whole summer of mowing lawns.. It sat after I discovered girls and real 1:1 cars until earlier this year... That's when I decided to dust it off and rebuild it.. I found this great board and lurked around for a while reading everything I could before embarking on this rebuild.. I plan to make this a runner for some fun so I did some things to make it last longer and make it nice again.. I am mostly done with the build except for the electronics update but I figure I will start off with what I have and relearn how to drive these things before updating to the newer stuff.. I did add a slipper clutch to the transmission for future use and will upgrade to 2.2 wheels and tires in a bit after I get some other things out of the way.. It is a work in progress..

So here is what I started off with:

Basic JRX-2

Look at the dust..

Torn down for cleaning..

Some stuff for the rebuild..

The JRX-2 as it sits has Proline 2.0 wheels, stock newish tires (my 3rd set), a Twister Mod motor (have the paper here somewhere), Novak T4, B4 slipper assembly, Losi Hydradrive shaft, idler gear, and hardware, plus a set of steering arms and shock mounts from Oldrc.com, and my old Futaba Magnum Jr radio gear. I did the rebuild and will post up more pics a bit later..

Shawn

REMJ666
Approved Member

Re: The rebuild of Hollowman's old JRX-2

Post by REMJ666 »

Nice start...My hunt for one of those will begin next yr...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Thanks RemJ666.. I actually have another one that I am going to keep as a shelfer.. Very clean.. Chassis has had little to no use.. I still need some parts for that one but only the stock shock collars (thin ones) and a new shell.. This one I am just going to use the shell as is.. Actually I just made up some stickers and put them on.. Here are the pics..

My JRX-2 as it stands for now:

Next thing to do is to get some 2.2 wheels and take it out on a track to see what it can do.. I do need to find a better spacer for the slipper assembly as the current one pushes the spur gear out too much so the pinion is way to far out.. If I flip the pinion around then the pinion is too far out.. I am searching around for a better spacer in a durable material... I also need a gear cover for it as well.. The search continues.. At least I have other projects to get going...

Shawn

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Looking great - you sure managed to shift off all that dust!

Your rebuild & installation of electrics looks very neat.... i've found that now i'm older & more experienced at building R/C cars that when it comes to restoring & building the older ones, they are usually built up better than when I did when my over-excited young hands first built them all those years ago!

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

Thanks DerbyDan.. I know what you mean.. when rebuilding this I noticed all the little nubs left over from the sprue trees and this time cleaned them off.. back then I promptly just built the thing cause I wanted to run it.. didn't really care about the details except the mechanical stuff.. I think before it took me a couple hours to build.. this time I spent 4 days to build it after I spent 3 days cleaning it.. :D

Shawn

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Very cool. I wish I could have my original X2 back. :( Very cool when I see these 'original owner' rebuilds go up.

Don't ever let her go.

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

huminski wrote:Very cool. I wish I could have my original X2 back. :( Very cool when I see these 'original owner' rebuilds go up.

Don't ever let her go.
Huminski: Thanks! This one is here to stay.. Too many memories in this one.. I have another JRX2 that is box stock and barely used which was my brother's and that one is going to be a shelf queen.. I have cleaned that one up and I am looking for a couple pieces like the thin shock collars and a new body.. I will put that one up later.. I plan to keep the old cars I have like my Blackfoot and Frog (my 2nd and 3rd RC's I ever got.. My JRX is my 4th..).. Have another car from my brother and I rebuilt my Grasshopper (my 1st hobby grade RC) for my nephew... The Hopper build got me back into this RC thing this past year.. Great fun to do this again.. :lol:

Shawn 8)

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Nice job!! Did u happen to take some pics of mods needed for the b4 slipper clutch? I ask because maybe some ppl could use it...I installed mine and then I ended up having to revisit it I guess cuz I hadn't seen pics of it. But by then the motor plate hole had self drilled :)

I have my 80's original also....your cruel to turn her into a runner...i say queen her and run a fleabay one instead.
Im kidding but yea maybe your a tough love person....lol. after all she did for you...and even after u left her for your first stinkfinger....and didnt look back after all these years.....u finally clean her up...and ur gonna dog on her....? hollow man hollooow!
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27591
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33429

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

I also would be very interested in how to add the B4 slipper.

Please share!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

B4 slipper is easy, IF you have the hydradrive set up top shaft. All parts drop right on with no modifications :) TLR22 slipper fits just a well, or XX/XXX series double slippers as well.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

very cool, thanks for the info.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

JK Racing wrote:B4 slipper is easy, IF you have the hydradrive set up top shaft. All parts drop right on with no modifications :) TLR22 slipper fits just a well, or XX/XXX series double slippers as well.
Here's what the LRM gear box looks like when fitted with the A-3120 slipper shaft.
Losi Jr.2 Update 008.JPG
A-3120 Hydra-Drive Slipper Shaft
Losi Jr.2 Update 008.JPG (102.01 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Losi Jr.2 Update 008.JPG (102.01 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
And this is the long boss A-3121 slipper plate that you will also need.
Losi Jr.2 Update 018.JPG
A-3121 Hydra-Drive Slipper Plate
Losi Jr.2 Update 018.JPG (100.81 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Losi Jr.2 Update 018.JPG (100.81 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

License2iLL
Approved Member

Post by License2iLL »

Ahh the long boss a3121 plate ! Sure could of used that way back when....it's good there's a pic now!
Losixxkid !!
Glad to be back in this hobby so many many years later. To see new things and to recollect on ALL cool vintage models!
As well as to BUILD :
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27591
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33429

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

JK Racing wrote:B4 slipper is easy, IF you have the hydradrive set up top shaft. All parts drop right on with no modifications :) TLR22 slipper fits just a well, or XX/XXX series double slippers as well.
That's what I used. The parts I used were the Losi A-3120 Hydra-Drive/ Friction Slipper shaft and the A3022 22T Transmission Pinion gear (had the standard top shaft with the brass gear that isn't removable in there) and a standard B4 slipper plate with pads and gear.. I also used the Losi A3124 Spring, cup and spacers as the standard B4 spring alone was not able to make enough adjustment due to the extra length of the Hydra shaft... The only problem it that you need a spacer behind the the back slipper plate or it will bind when you put tension on the slipper.. I am going to find something better than the old Tamiya Grasshopper small bearing to use that I put on there.. It works but is too wide and miss aligns my pinion gear too much to where it is barely holding on or is too far off if I flip it.. No big deal as I can just cut a small piece of aluminum tubing or try to find something in my parts bin..

Shawn

hondaman
Approved Member

Post by hondaman »

LosiXXkid wrote:
JK Racing wrote:
And this is the long boss A-3121 slipper plate that you will also need.
Losi Jr.2 Update 018.JPG
That part would make things easier instead of my spacer.. :lol:
Shawn