Pretty lousy quality for $250.00

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SteveK
Approved Member

Pretty lousy quality for $250.00

Post by SteveK »

I'm through four steps and I had to give up for the night. The chassis anodizing is some odd brown color, not even close to a Stealth CE I just bought, and the coloring is uneven and blotchy. At least all the holes were countersunk, but of course they aren't deep enough and the few screw heads I put in protrude. The screws are also some odd color, almost like the green Team shocks.

The castor blocks were warped, and were a tight fit on the steering blocks until I touched them up with a Dremel. The fit between the arms is pretty loose, but it isn't a major problem because the holes in the arms are misaligned and the hinge pins bind up. If the parts were designed properly, then they were molded very poorly, or maybe they were warped before they cooled properly. At that point I gave up for the night, I'll have to figure out something to do for the arms until I can get a hold of their customer service on Monday. I might as well build the rest of the kit and address all the problems with them at one time.

GoMachV

Re: Pretty lousy quality for $250.00

Post by GoMachV »

Welcome to 1984...your getting the real experience :lol: Sounds crazy but a lot of us love that part. The rc10 wasn't easy to build correctly, it took a lot of time and patience to file and fit parts. The anno was splotchy on many of mine including my never run 6010 I have.

Not arguing, I completely see your point- just sayin....I'm looking forward to the battle myself
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

I get plenty of the 1984 experience with all these Tamiya re-releases lol

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

I will say the finish on the shock towers is very nice. Must be water jet cut, very smooth edges. I did enlarge the holes for my own sake, but I understand why they made them undersized.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

He's from Syracuse, us NYers often have a lot to complain about. lol. Glad to see you got one though. :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

sounds like a normal rc10 kit to me. :lol:

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

I'm in a bit better mood this morning; I found my #30 drill bit, which is 0.1285" I believe, big enough to free up the hinge pins, and I finished the front end assembly.

Onto the gearbox. A few tweaks here, but I'm ok with the hand-fitting since I'm changing things a bit. I did have a problem with the bearings fitting in one of the out drives; they needed to be pressed in with a socket and a hammer. Other than that, off to the LHS for some 2-56 screws and washers and onto some more building after lunch.

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Chinese quality...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

You should have tried building a 1985 PB Mustang Xi2 1/8th buggy. No instructions. Parts needed modifying with files and drills. Or even just replacing with new fabricated custom parts. Nothing worked first time. It was a massive shock, being my second only kit as a kid, after a Tamiya Hornet :shock: Some things back then were not well made. This is where Kyosho were amazing to be honest - they performed as well as most things and just slotted together perfectly. Having said that, my (now vastly modded Worlds) was a piece of cake to build. Maybe the early models (and now the rere) were the worst AE models.
GARBO 1/8

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

All part of the fun. :mrgreen:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

Are the re-re kit ball cups the same pale snot green as the re-released spares?

Ordering a second set to see if just got a particularly bad 'green' set.

Other plastic new spare parts seem fine though.

tommy2c
Approved Member

Post by tommy2c »

The ones in my kit are green

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

It's a shame AE don't seem to have given too much consideration to cosmetics on the re-release. If you went for the modern wheel upgrades you'd end up with a gold pan, blue axles, cream plastics, snot green ball cups and bright white wheels... bit of a dogs dinner looks wise no doubt! Still the cream Worlds steering kit upgrade looks like will be a good match.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

rc10uk wrote:It's a shame AE don't seem to have given too much consideration to cosmetics on the re-release. If you went for the modern wheel upgrades you'd end up with a gold pan, blue axles, cream plastics, snot green ball cups and bright white wheels... bit of a dogs dinner looks wise no doubt! Still the cream Worlds steering kit upgrade looks like will be a good match.

It all comes back to what I said a while ago. You may as well go for a custom build using original parts from the outset and ensure every item is exactly as you would like. Personally I have way to much OCD to live with the alleged patchy anodising and mis matched odd colours. But that is just me. If I were in this position now I would dump unwanted parts on ebay and start finding replacement NOS USA parts.
GARBO 1/8

rc10uk
Approved Member

Post by rc10uk »

For the 2'2 wheel option they should have re-released the off white style B3 wheels. Use them on my Team car and they look very period still. Still, for those staying with the traditional goldpan design then probably not too much of a concern.