Son of a........... Internet/Tad Help

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Son of a........... Internet/Tad Help

Post by mrlexan »

OK, This REALLY SUCKS! I mentioned earlier that work recently blocked ebay access on the net. Well between this morning and lunch, NOW I can't even access the forum. They use Websense. Any of you internet savy guys know any techy ways around this? I am serious, it is getting a bit ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated.

Jay
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Taylorm
Approved Member

Re: Son of a........... Internet/Tad Help

Post by Taylorm »

I can get to about any site at work except Ebay.......jerks............ :evil: ..i have no idea how to beat the system................

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

You can probably use a web-based proxy. Just do a google search. Of course, you may come up with a bunch of hack3r garbage. :?

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

websense sucks...let me ask some tech heads at work, they "fixed" my laptop and I can hit anything now :twisted:
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Just be careful with whatever you do, most tech departments don't look kindly on hacking their security protocols. If your job will be jeopardized, proceed with caution.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

you may find that the proxy sites are blocked also. That used to be the case here.
Classics rule, moderns drool

Dr. Robotnik
Approved Member

Post by Dr. Robotnik »

Halgar wrote:Just be careful with whatever you do, most tech departments don't look kindly on hacking their security protocols. If your job will be jeopardized, proceed with caution.
Quoted for truth!!!!! 8)

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Ya no kidding! Pepsi has INSANE security here and they physically log in and monitor your computer at will. They can see it just like your monitor is on their desk so i'd be real careful no matter what you do at work... NOTHING on the internet is worth your job.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i have set this up for people with good success
http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/solutions/http_tunnel/client.asp

another alternative i use is i use my laptop with my blackberry as a modem, doesnt use ANY portion of there network whatsoever..

of course if i was stuck at work without internet, i would just get
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPhones?phoneSKU=SW595URDRA

i have a detailed whitesheet article on how to ensure that they are not monitoring you using spectorsoft products or any of the other numerous spying tools, including some easy to use traffic analyzers that you can run.

if you dont have permission to install programs, i can show you how to reset local admin password very easily so you get root access to the box.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

mikedealer wrote:....i have a detailed whitesheet article on how to ensure that they are not monitoring you using spectorsoft products or any of the other numerous spying tools, including some easy to use traffic analyzers that you can run.

if you dont have permission to install programs, i can show you how to reset local admin password very easily so you get root access to the box.

Jay, do you know if they are using Novell or Server 2003 or is the network Linux based? Or are all the pc's just connected to switches that run through a connection server.

If you are still working where I think you are, I would bet money they have an impressive system. I ask because some of the things Mike is referring to won't work on certain networks.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Jay, depending on your policies, there are a couple things you can do. Both are touched on already but here are the pit falls.

Web based proxies like covermyass.com can be an easy work around. But like bscotti said, most are already blocked. Plus, Websense is going to see that site and if I am an admin, I think that site name would draw some attention.

The second is tunneling to your home pc. One problem there will be the port you use. 443 is common but if your admin is worth his weight, he will detect the ssh hits and note the protocol is incorrect for that port.

Port 80 would be a better idea since that is the port for world wide web. Still, depending on what package of Websense they are using, the installation of programs like putty can be detected and reported to IT.

Like I said, depending on your policies, these work-arounds could get you any where from 'happier than a pig in slop' to your nearest unemployment line. I would not take a chance. As a matter of fact, I am going to be more careful about what I do at work. These programs are no joke.

I actually sent a link of Websense to my director. I am highly impressed with it's capabilities and will suggest it as an alternative to what we use now.

There is one more option and this is what I did. Talk to IT and ask them to add this site to the "allow" list. They may just do it. I'd bring them some home baked cookies or something. But other than that, Websense has the capabilities of detecting everything else. And it stores EVERYTHING and breaks it down to user and puts it all in charts and graphs AND emails it to whoever wherever whenever they want the information. I would not toy with it if it could cause me problems with my employer.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i suggest setting up remote desktop at home (assuming you have windows XP pro), and opening port 3389 up on your home router, if for some reason they block 3389, you can change it on your windows machine (and then your firewall)

changing listening port instructions are here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187623

you can also install PcAnywhere/VNC/etc etc to connect into your home machine to browse the internet, assuming they dont have the network totally locked down portwise, you should be able to find a open port and change the listening ports in any of these programs to work.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

mikedealer wrote:i suggest setting up remote desktop at home (assuming you have windows XP pro), and opening port 3389 up on your home router, if for some reason they block 3389, you can change it on your windows machine (and then your firewall)

changing listening port instructions are here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187623

you can also install PcAnywhere/VNC/etc etc to connect into your home machine to browse the internet, assuming they dont have the network totally locked down portwise, you should be able to find a open port and change the listening ports in any of these programs to work.
The only problem with that is every open port is being monitored by Websense. If it is a bizaar port, they are going to investigate. The one good thing about this site, there should not be much traffic showing across the network. If you stream videos, that would show up. But you might get away with Mikes idea if you use a common used port like 80.

Make sure your computer is password protected if you do the remote desktop option. And the computer at work has to be Pro if you use Microsofts remote desktop. But your home computer can be home edition. Just make sure you enable it to accept remote support.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i would probably stream it across 3389 or 1723 if possible, those are the default termserv and vpn ports, they shouldnt notice anything since im sure they have terminal sessions going on all the time.

i believe your home computer will HAVE to have a password since you wont be able to connect in if it doesnt. and i could be wrong but im pretty positive your home computer has to be XP pro in order to enable that, and your work computer can be any version of windows as long as you download the RDP client from microsoft that runs on any OS

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

mikedealer wrote:i would probably stream it across 3389 or 1723 if possible, those are the default termserv and vpn ports, they shouldnt notice anything since im sure they have terminal sessions going on all the time.

i believe your home computer will HAVE to have a password since you wont be able to connect in if it doesnt. and i could be wrong but im pretty positive your home computer has to be XP pro in order to enable that, and your work computer can be any version of windows as long as you download the RDP client from microsoft that runs on any OS
Cool, did not know there was an RDP client from Microsoft. You just solved one of my web site problems. 8)

If you check out this site, http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp there is a section about half way down the page under power user that explains desktop support. It is actually the first set. I would not go by this alone and would question it but I have a PC with Home Edition on it that I remote into frequently to..........uh.....manage files. :mrgreen:

And the password is not required. My brothers web server is my old gaming machine and it is not password protected. It sits in a corner and when he needs to work on it, he fires up remote desktop and enter the computer name. You do have to make sure it is enabled though before you can just remote into it.