Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Percymon
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by Percymon »

J'MM'N wrote:I'm thinking a 21.5t is similar to an old silver can motor and a 17.5t been more comparable to an old 27t standard motor. So I'm going to start with a 17.5t with no boost or timing and see how that feels and then maybe play about with a few adjustments. But I'm guessing it'll be near the limit between driving the car and trying to keep it all together, both in driving and car maintenance.

and its this that makes me wonder why bother with brushless, particularly if you aren't going to use the programmability / boost functions ?

a silver can motor and a brushed esc for $30 is all you need for a bit of low risk running.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i got an idea......

stop worrying about the car you're not going to touch for at least 2 more months and go build something now. or just visit one of the other 30 forums on this site. they need some love too, ya know. :wink:

Percymon
Approved Member

Post by Percymon »

scr8p wrote:i got an idea......

stop worrying about the car you're not going to touch for at least 2 more months and go build something now.
I'm doing my best..

Optima Mid Custom Special 90% restored
Optima Mid SWB - 50% restored
Optima - awaiting strip/rebuild/restoration
Progress - awaiting strip/rebuild/restoration
B4 - rebuild, on the workbench with a pile of new parts waiting to install
RC10 Team Car on route (will need attention for sure )
Tamiya Super Champ awaiting restoration

oh shoot, not sure I can sort that lot in two months :lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Pfft.... optimas. Like they count. :P :lol:

j/k :wink:

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

scr8p wrote:i got an idea......

stop worrying about the car you're not going to touch for at least 2 more months and go build something now. or just visit one of the other 30 forums on this site. they need some love too, ya know. :wink:

This from a guy with half a dozen or so ongoing Kyosho builds?..... :lol: :lol: :P

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

I've got a silver can in my son's B4.1 and it's really slow. Perfect for a 2.5 year old, but pretty slow to me. I'd recommend something quicker and think it would be a complete waste of money to have a brushless motor this speed.
J'MM'N wrote:I'm thinking a 21.5t is similar to an old silver can motor and a 17.5t been more comparable to an old 27t standard motor. So I'm going to start with a 17.5t with no boost or timing and see how that feels and then maybe play about with a few adjustments. But I'm guessing it'll be near the limit between driving the car and trying to keep it all together, both in driving and car maintenance.
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Lonestar wrote:10.5 boosted is wicked fast when done right... in onroad it's roughly equivalent to last-gen 12 turns before BL took over. It's way too fast for a lot of people. 10.5 unboosted + lipo is already very competitve a powerplant in 2wd on a modern track...
Which is why I suggest a 1 cell lipo. I've seen boosted 21.5 motors outrun blinky 17.5 motors with ease. All in the gearing and boost settings.

My point is to try and standardize a vintage class, have it feel like a vintage car in terms of acceleration and top speed. I think 1 cell 10.5 motor is a good starting point. I dont think it will feel like a 12T brushed motor, probably a little better than a silver can, but will no maintenance and killer run times. Something that wont blister the stock tires or kill the non-slipper external diff.

Back to car building....I've got some Losi's that need attention :mrgreen:
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Is there a thread that lists motor, ESC, and battery combinations along with a summary of the performance, cost and supplier? If not, that would be a great addition.

- Limestang

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

limestang wrote:Is there a thread that lists motor, ESC, and battery combinations along with a summary of the performance, cost and supplier? If not, that would be a great addition.

- Limestang

no

that d be thousands of lines long!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Lonestar wrote:10.5 boosted is wicked fast when done right... in onroad it's roughly equivalent to last-gen 12 turns before BL took over. It's way too fast for a lot of people. 10.5 unboosted + lipo is already very competitve a powerplant in 2wd on a modern track...

I think people need to remember this is a short-armed Rc10 without slipper here... in other words, it handles like a 30y.o. car, closer to a Tamiya Frog than a B4... the most gentle motor you put in it, the likelier you will feel that it doesn't handle like a POS and will want to throw it against the wall after the first pack... 21.5T looks the only reasonable choice to me unless one likes disappointments...

Paul
(who ordered 2 kits, so not like I don't like the car!)

I agree which is one reason I'm going with a Trinity/Kinwald Dirtinator 10T brushed motor, Novak T4 ESC and Nimh batteries most of the time with occasional lipo run for fun. The other is I think I'll enjoy the nostalgic experience of a vintage car like this the most if it has period-correct brushed power.

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

ca-rj wrote:I've got a silver can in my son's B4.1 and it's really slow. Perfect for a 2.5 year old, but pretty slow to me. I'd recommend something quicker and think it would be a complete waste of money
brushless / lipo for runtime

thats the reason im kitting out most of my cars with brushless..,5min runs are hopefully a thing of the past
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

ca-rj
Approved Member

Post by ca-rj »

On a 6 cell nimh and the silver can his car runs forever--over an hour anyway. For motors that slow, you're going to get bored before the pack dumps. His setup cost less than $40 (motor/esc).
RC10 Short Arm | Novak Tempest ESC | Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T | Savox 1258 | Stealth Trans w/ Exotek Slipper Eliminator (geared 24/81)
RC10B3 | HW Just Stock Club Spec | Reedy 13.5 | Savox 1258

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

an hour? damn, I remember only getting 7 - 10min
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

The price for the rere is already up on the bay...unreal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Assocuated-RC10-15th-Anniversary-Edition-6001-/221247400232?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item33835f6928

Maybe this is the rare "Assocuated" version. Oh and the 15th anniversary edition.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Momo5 wrote:The price for the rere is already up on the bay...unreal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Assocuated-RC10-15th-Anniversary-Edition-6001-/221247400232?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item33835f6928

Maybe this is the rare "Assocuated" version. Oh and the 15th anniversary edition.
lol...unreal, indeed. They are marking it up by ~$85-$100 over what many have pre-ordered them for so I'm not sure they'll get a lot of early orders from people who have shopped around. At that price they'll get the Johnny-come-lately guys who missed out initially and want one badly.