2013 TEKIN VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 13-15TH

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R/Cat
Approved Member

Re: 2013 VINTAGE OFFROAD NATIONALS • SEPT 13-15TH

Post by R/Cat »

scr8p wrote:
Brandon G wrote: Weve found that a some of the guys on the forum who get SO caught up in the argument of rules dont even show. Or planned on showing for that matter.
i'm gonna guess that was directed towards me so........

i always plan on going (like this year, same as the previous years) but it just never seems to pan out do to financial or health reasons....... usually the later. that is the main reason i'm not as vocal about it as i used to be...... because i'm not there every year. but it doesn't mean i want to see it to turn into a free-for-all where you get to run "anything" just because you show up. at that point, i won't even plan on going. i can race against "anything" at a track 10-15 minutes from my house.

i'm sorry, if you can handle following directions to get to the track, you can follow a few simple class rules to race there. no one seems to have a problem getting the electronics part of the equation in compliance.........

Thank you. Why do I seem to be the only one saying the same thing? There are a myriad of cheap pre-1994 cars to choose from and a year between events so there is no excuse for ANYONE not to follow a few simple class rules to a tee.

After this sobering discussion about what actually goes on at this event in terms of the apparent possibility of selective and inconsistent enforcement of rules, I have to seriously consider whether I want to invest the time and money to go. I guess I'll wait to hear from the official organizers for some reassurance.

Like you, the last thing I want is even the possibility a free-for-all of David vs. Goliath match-ups to any degree because somebody decided they were above the rules and complained that they didn't have anything else to race. I can do that with my buddies for free on a track much closer.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Nah Jason, wasn't directing that specifically at you. It's just that the same arguments are brought up every year on the forum. By both those who attend and those who don't. But the race still happens and lo and behold, everybody who attends usually has a great time.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

R/Cat wrote:
scr8p wrote:
Brandon G wrote: Weve found that a some of the guys on the forum who get SO caught up in the argument of rules dont even show. Or planned on showing for that matter.
i'm gonna guess that was directed towards me so........

i always plan on going (like this year, same as the previous years) but it just never seems to pan out do to financial or health reasons....... usually the later. that is the main reason i'm not as vocal about it as i used to be...... because i'm not there every year. but it doesn't mean i want to see it to turn into a free-for-all where you get to run "anything" just because you show up. at that point, i won't even plan on going. i can race against "anything" at a track 10-15 minutes from my house.

i'm sorry, if you can handle following directions to get to the track, you can follow a few simple class rules to race there. no one seems to have a problem getting the electronics part of the equation in compliance.........

Thank you. Why do I seem to be the only one saying the same thing? There are a myriad of cheap pre-1994 cars to choose from and a year between events so there is no excuse for ANYONE not to follow a few simple class rules to a tee.

After this sobering discussion about what actually goes on at this event in terms of the apparent possibility of selective and inconsistent enforcement of rules, I have to seriously consider whether I want to invest the time and money to go. I guess I'll wait to hear from the official organizers for some reassurance.

Like you, the last thing I want is even the possibility a free-for-all of David vs. Goliath match-ups to any degree because somebody decided they were above the rules and complained that they didn't have anything else to race. I can do that with my buddies for free on a track much closer.
it's not like that at all, there is no free for all, but go ahead, take your ball and go home, your loss.

now this thread is just frustrating. i'll stay out of it and in september i'll be there, racing my vintage cars.
and if by chance a car is there that doesn't fit the rules 100%, i will not pout, complain or go home, i'll beat'em...all with a grin from ear to ear.

sheesh! :roll:

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

R/cat, I think you are blowing what I said out of proportion. I was simply trying to prove the point that this "national" is unlike anything you have seen in a modern race setting. Yes we come to race. Yes we come for fellowship. Yes you have competetive people entering. Yes some people push the boundaries of the rules. And on very rare occasions where a dude may show up and the best he could do was a bring vehicle that was 1 year beyond the rule date, yes he was allowed to run. I am not trying to sway you in any way NOT to come. Quite the opposite. DO come, and you will see that there is NOT a bunch of sandbaggers waiting in the shadows to run their B4's just so they can steal the glory.

For the record, this has happened twice in the 5 YEARS this race was run (Yes, I've been to every one). Once with a XXT 3 years ago, and once with a XXXT last year. Hardly an out of control trend. If you do the math, that ends up being a 99.5% adherence to the rules. I'd like to see you go to any other national event and get those numbers.... :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Brandon G wrote:But the race still happens and lo and behold, everybody who attends usually has a great time.
i know, i had a great time when i was there too. i'm not discounting that.

i'm just saying that if i get up there this year, and i show up with an rc10 running an 8.5 with a 3s lipo and sign up for the 17.5 2s class, there shouldn't be a problem. :wink: :mrgreen:

r/cat, please don't blow this too far out of proportion. i don't look at it like........ oh this guy with a newer car is gonna beat my older car. i don't care in that respect. there are guys on here that run their old stuff against modern cars weekly and do just fine. it's just that for me, if i'm going to a vintage race, i should be racing against vintage cars. that's how i feel and no one is gonna say anything to change that. like i said earlier, i plan on going every year, it just doesn't happen.... usually for health reasons.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

scr8p wrote:
Brandon G wrote: i'm just saying that if i get up there this year, and i show up with an rc10 running an 8.5 with a 3s lipo and sign up for the 17.5 2s class, there shouldn't be a problem. :wink: :mrgreen:

Heh, there will be a problem all right. With that much power in ANY 2WD buggy, we will be spending more time replacing damaged pipe on the track and picking up broken pieces of buggy.....:lol:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

what is it the kids say......... YOLO?

:lol:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Brandon G wrote:Nah Jason, wasn't directing that specifically at you. It's just that the same arguments are brought up every year on the forum. By both those who attend and those who don't.
I have held my tongue... I think for two years now. ;)
scr8p wrote:it's just that for me, if i'm going to a vintage race, i should be racing against vintage cars. that's how i feel and no one is gonna say anything to change that.
Amen.
R/Cat wrote:I can do that with my buddies for free on a track much closer.
That was my ultimate decision. However, Erich does put on a FANTASTIC event. Try it... you will have fun!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Brandon G wrote:R/cat, I think you are blowing what I said out of proportion. I was simply trying to prove the point that this "national" is unlike anything you have seen in a modern race setting. Yes we come to race. Yes we come for fellowship. Yes you have competetive people entering. Yes some people push the boundaries of the rules. And on very rare occasions where a dude may show up and the best he could do was a bring vehicle that was 1 year beyond the rule date, yes he was allowed to run. I am not trying to sway you in any way NOT to come. Quite the opposite. DO come, and you will see that there is NOT a bunch of sandbaggers waiting in the shadows to run their B4's just so they can steal the glory.

For the record, this has happened twice in the 5 YEARS this race was run (Yes, I've been to every one). Once with a XXT 3 years ago, and once with a XXXT last year. Hardly an out of control trend. If you do the math, that ends up being a 99.5% adherence to the rules. I'd like to see you go to any other national event and get those numbers.... :wink:
Well it's good to know they were only isolated incidents.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

scr8p wrote:
Brandon G wrote:But the race still happens and lo and behold, everybody who attends usually has a great time.
i know, i had a great time when i was there too. i'm not discounting that.

i'm just saying that if i get up there this year, and i show up with an rc10 running an 8.5 with a 3s lipo and sign up for the 17.5 2s class, there shouldn't be a problem. :wink: :mrgreen:

r/cat, please don't blow this too far out of proportion. i don't look at it like........ oh this guy with a newer car is gonna beat my older car. i don't care in that respect. there are guys on here that run their old stuff against modern cars weekly and do just fine. it's just that for me, if i'm going to a vintage race, i should be racing against vintage cars. that's how i feel and no one is gonna say anything to change that. like i said earlier, i plan on going every year, it just doesn't happen.... usually for health reasons.

Couldn't agree more.

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

it's not like that at all, there is no free for all, but go ahead, take your ball and go home, your loss.

now this thread is just frustrating. i'll stay out of it and in september i'll be there, racing my vintage cars.
and if by chance a car is there that doesn't fit the rules 100%, i will not pout, complain or go home, i'll beat'em...all with a grin from ear to ear.

sheesh! :roll:[/quote]

Didn't say I wasn't going. I said I would wait for some reassurance from the organizers and seriously consider it over the next few months. I think that's reasonable.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

look, outta respect to all you nerds i asked, ridiculous ahead of time, permission if my clown car would be ok... thats all.. you all make the rules towards vintage jamoboree.... im trying my hardest to find fun in simple forms... and fun i have to plan half a year ahead to enjoy... just asking if my junk is ok with you... because i dont have the time to novel over toy cars i never had... i wanna play with them because i finally can afford em... but i still cant pay for that one off in box mint wet dream.....

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

Your RC10T with a RC10T2 Transmission and rear bulkhead are totally fine for the stadium truck class.

It's no different than a RC10 Team car running B4 wheels and current tires in the buggy class.

Here is a good example of a vintage car with some current wheels and tires....

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

Here is my ride for classics class...
Attachments
087.JPG

R/Cat
Approved Member

Post by R/Cat »

Mark Westerfield wrote:Here is my ride for classics class...

Very cool...really like it.