Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rcrob
Approved Member

Re: Intriguing ad in RC Car Action - RC10 re-release?

Post by rcrob »

rctenracer wrote:No pics of the rerelease ? Why ? Box art box with this inside plus low pro six gear .
They don't have one yet.

rcrob
Approved Member

Post by rcrob »

Coelacanth wrote:Let's not forget that the interest you see on this here site might not be representative of everywhere else. What might appear to be a "selling ice on a hot day" craze might be skewed by the fact that of COURSE people here are falling over themselves to buy these kits, but are you seeing the same thing over on Tamiya forum, RCTech, URC, and other RC-related sites? (I don't really know as I don't participate much on any of those sites.)

Thought it was worth mentioning because even if you counted up all the backorders mentioned by forum members here, it's probably not even more than a couple hundred. And that's on a site dedicated to vintage RC10's.

Food for thought. :)
Coelacanth wrote:Hmm...had a look at the mere 13 pages of posts over at RCTech.net (compared to the 56 and counting here), and RCTech boasting thousands more members than here, and I don't know if I'd call that a buying frenzy...just observations, nothing more. :)
Good point!
You look at the non-vintage or non-RC10 specific forums, and while there was some chatter the first couple of days after the announcement it's quieted down considerably since then.
For comparison purposes, between the announcement of the TLR 22 and it actually being available there were 212 pages of blathering on RCTech. How far this one goes over the next couple of months, we'll see. But I can't see it keeping up similar cases on more race-specific forums.

Backorders/pre-orders?
Then when you factor in that less than 50% of pre-orders are followed through on with actual purchases, seems like it's more talk than anything. Well have to wait and see how quickly those initial shipments sell out with the distributors.

Taylorm
Approved Member

Post by Taylorm »

[quote="rcrob"][quote="85Edinger"]
Anybody that enjoyed that says they enjoyed the experience of building a 6-gear, well ...................... :lol:
Why would anybody feel bad about buying an old-stock RC10 and running it?
So there's a chance of having availability of more cars that are outdated? Yippee!
I'm guessing it'd be a safe bet that these new cars won't be made using nylon, while or otherwise.

You think Associated bringing the old car out again is a "yippee!"...why are you on this forum then??
...Foe added.... :lol:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Taylorm wrote:
rcrob wrote:
85Edinger wrote: Anybody that enjoyed that says they enjoyed the experience of building a 6-gear, well ...................... :lol:
Why would anybody feel bad about buying an old-stock RC10 and running it?
So there's a chance of having availability of more cars that are outdated? Yippee!
I'm guessing it'd be a safe bet that these new cars won't be made using nylon, while or otherwise.

You think Associated bringing the old car out again is a "yippee!"...why are you on this forum then??
...Foe added.... :lol:
You what?
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Taylorm wrote:...Foe added.... :lol:
it's becoming a trend too.

like deja vu........

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I said what?
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

scr8p wrote:

like deja vu........
You stalking me AGAIN???
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Incredible_Serious wrote:
scr8p wrote:

like deja vu........
You stalking me STILL???
fixed it for ya...
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

2500 is the worldwide number I heard. That's it. No mas! So they say.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

JK Racing wrote:
Incredible_Serious wrote:
You stalking me STILL???
fixed it for ya...
Thanks matey :lol:
Osiris is the key.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

kaiser wrote:well one time halgar made a post about his underpants, that was pretty popular.
I heard about that, must have been a sight to see... :shock: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

I've read on most of the forums that guys who weren't around when the car came out originally, so didn't ever race it, are some of the most excited to buy this re-release.
I've been trying to figure out why those guys were so excited.
this from someone who pretty much counted down the days until the original cars' release, got one as soon as I could, and raced it more than any other car I have owned in an almost 30 year toy car racing 'career'

best I can figure, it's something like not being alive (or old enough) when the original Star Wars movie came out, yet still totally enjoying it now.

anyone else got any ideas on this?
I love seeing all the stories about these cars :)

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

CBR240 wrote:On the Trans, the Tower page has "Transmission: Sealed six gear, low profile configuration".

"low profile configuration" 6 gear? Interesting.
i think the stock 6 gear is "low profile configuration" .. how good can the 6 gear get? they can make it a bit better but the only way to make it really good is to make it a stealth

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Here's the best way I can describe what having this car back in the day was like. First you had basic toy rc cars such as the ones you could find at Toys R Us which were admittedly far nicer than anything you can find there today. The next level up was the plastic kits from Tamiya. They had some neat cars and lots of variety but even then their cars were based on fun and variety. The RC10 shows up as the first true performance race car. Take your pick out of the lot. The aftermarket started flooding with options and changes which made modifying this car lots of fun. Off road rc racing really took off as a result of this car existing. No one saw a 6 gear as a pain to build. We saw it with it's ball diff as an advancement over plastic gear differentials. We didn't see bronze iolite bushings as being a hindrance. We just bought ball bearings. Tamiyas had plastic bushings which were really sloppy by comparison. After the sudden huge success of the RC10, everyone starting getting into the act to compete with it but being the first helped seal it's status as the dominant car to own. Back then the best cars were build it yourself kits. The crap cars were ready to run.

Imagine today if there was only one race car available, let's say a B4. Every other car is a toy or hardly a performance machine by comparison. You can see that if anyone wanted to race offroad they'd either buy a B4 or would be relegated to the depths of the inferior. Suddenly everyone buys a B4. Soon other companies get into the act and the 22, 210, and others appear. It would be a very strange sight.

For those of us the grew up in that time, it was fun. It was what we knew. We didn't know anything else and as such didn't know that there was an easier or better way to do things. We didn't feel that 5 minute run times were terrible. We thought 6 minute run times were awesome! It's all about perspective. We didn't know that replacing brushes and cleaning motors was a chore. It's what you did. I can see how it would be tough for someone who wasn't there to fully understand what significance of this car is. I can pretty much already predict that when it's released there will be newer people that will buy it because of the hype who will end up hating the car. It won't handle as well. It will be tougher to build and will be less forgiving at the track. While that is all completely valid compared to the offerings that are available today, it's just the way things were back then. Things may have been tougher but it's what we knew and enjoyed. For many, having this car is all about temporarily reliving a time period in our lives with others that is long gone. A fun time period.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Well said. :wink:
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS