Question for motor collectors (hoarders)... :)

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: Question for motor collectors (hoarders)... :)

Post by jwscab »

I think your best bet is something like a wide flat storage box with an insert tray (or two) and a whole bunch of 'em, and a whole bunch of open cell foam sheet you can cut motor shapes out of. stick them in the boxes, number the boxes, and in the foam they won't roll or hang up on things. the hard part: make a sheet to put in the box OR spreadsheet with the contents in the boxes listed by 'cell' number and 'box' number. SO stick all your trinity winds in one box(or 5, hah) and search them out at a later time by your spreadsheet. This would even work motors in boxes or bags, just make the cutouts to fit.

lexus-5
Approved Member

Post by lexus-5 »

I have a few older motors maybe 50 or 60. I found that clear Hot Wheels car storage cases work well.

Just out of curiosity what would be considered a very rare collectable vintage motor back in the 80's ??
Remember it's either a runner or a shelfer. Everything else is just parts.

Check out my Gallery for more Collection Pictures http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=20697

Bob-Stormer
Approved Member

Post by Bob-Stormer »

lexus-5 wrote:I have a few older motors maybe 50 or 60. I found that clear Hot Wheels car storage cases work well.

Just out of curiosity what would be considered a very rare collectable vintage motor back in the 80's ??
That's almost hard to answer. I'm gonna guess it's different for everybody. Rare, collectable, and valuable don't often go hand in hand. For some stupid reason, I have it in my head that the protrix MRP motors are collectable. I think it's because I drove for them back in the day, and I irrationally associate it with cool and rare. I was racing for checkpoint at the time, and never got to run a protrix motor, hence my irrational belief in the cool, based on wanting one but never getting to try one. Same way most people have an irrational association of cool with their first good race car. Whether it is or not. If you're first good car was a Cox Scorpion, I find you're going to have an irrational love for that platform and so on and so forth. :)
I enjoy, Schumacher 1/12th, Checkpoint motors, Lazerlite motors, PB Sizzler, Pro Panther-10, Dialed Speed Controls, Paranoia spurs.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

I like the coin case idea, problem is as an ex collector of money, I might have a hard time entering a coin shop again 8)

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I have always been amused by the notion that currency can be worth more than face value. That being said, someone is laughing at me for paying $60 for a rc car part clearly marked $4. What were we talking about?

Oh yeah....motor cases. I am digging the idea of buying coin cases for mine, $0.29 is a whole lot cheaper than the $5 I used to pay Dan for a "motor home"
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Sheldons display was a work of art really, not much different to your own really. The cabinets were full of every reedy motor in every wind including other brands. Every Novak ESC, batteries etc. Kits were stacked 10+ high on shelves and a couple pallets of cars on the floor. It was RC heaven.

Surely all those motors weren't sold. Think of all the left over vintage stuff, there would have been piles!!!

It was a sad day to learn they were closing the doors. I think Ultimate Hobbies in San Jose bought most of the stock before someone tried to re-open Sheldons.

You definately are correct, simpler times and it was great.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

This works for me. I use a cheap briefcase to hold boxed motors. Loose and packaged motors are wrapped in freezer bags to protect them from knocking about. I don;t know about 3500 motors though! Chris.
Attachments
1.jpg
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Bob-Stormer wrote:Same way most people have an irrational association of cool with their first good race car.
First good race car that is. My first car was crap so don´t want that again. The next one was an AYK RX2000 what was really good. I had to have this again so yes it´s true. :mrgreen:

Stumpy
Approved Member

Post by Stumpy »

jwscab wrote:I think your best bet is something like a wide flat storage box with an insert tray (or two) and a whole bunch of 'em, and a whole bunch of open cell foam sheet you can cut motor shapes out of. stick them in the boxes, number the boxes, and in the foam they won't roll or hang up on things. the hard part: make a sheet to put in the box OR spreadsheet with the contents in the boxes listed by 'cell' number and 'box' number. SO stick all your trinity winds in one box(or 5, hah) and search them out at a later time by your spreadsheet. This would even work motors in boxes or bags, just make the cutouts to fit.
So, you mean something like this, just on a larger scale.. I used these "Promatch" motor cases to carry my motors in when we still raced brushed motors.. Not a very economical method of storage though, I think I paid $20 ea for these cases.. (I have some battery ones as wel)
gomachv wrote:Oh yeah....motor cases. I am digging the idea of buying coin cases for mine, $0.29 is a whole lot cheaper than the $5 I used to pay Dan for a "motor home"
Will you please share where you are buying them from for $0.29, and also what coins they are designed to hold..

Mark.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yeah exactly. get a cheap plastic container, and buy the foam in sheets. you could store maybe 50-100 in a case depending on size. would still take Bob 35-70 containers :shock: :shock:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Stumpy wrote:
jwscab wrote:
Will you please share where you are buying them from for $0.29, and also what coins they are designed to hold..

Mark.
I didn't bookmark it but a quick search found these for $.45. They are for the eagle coins or poker chips. I do need to take Measure and make sure the motor will fit

http://www.collectons.com/shop/item/20646/CoinSafe-Square-Coin-Tube-for-20-1-oz-US-GOLD-EAGLES/?origin=product-search&source=product-listings&gclid=CMT7mpXTvbYCFeF7QgodB0EAIQ
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Bob-Stormer
Approved Member

Post by Bob-Stormer »

^^^ that link sure looks like the same thing.^^^ holds motors tight. stack well.
I enjoy, Schumacher 1/12th, Checkpoint motors, Lazerlite motors, PB Sizzler, Pro Panther-10, Dialed Speed Controls, Paranoia spurs.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

gomachv wrote:
Stumpy wrote:
jwscab wrote:

Mark.
I didn't bookmark it but a quick search found these for $.45. They are for the eagle coins or poker chips. I do need to take Measure and make sure the motor will fit

http://www.collectons.com/shop/item/20646/CoinSafe-Square-Coin-Tube-for-20-1-oz-US-GOLD-EAGLES/?origin=product-search&source=product-listings&gclid=CMT7mpXTvbYCFeF7QgodB0EAIQ
There's only one issue I see with those, if you have as many as Bob has and efficient identification becomes important; with the opaque white plastic, you can't see what's inside, so you'd have to label every "box", or else the shelf or whatever they were stored on. Also not the best choice if you want to show off your collection, I suppose.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Mr. Stormer, with all the respect in the world, is this is not a question, (as the thread subject implies), but a cry for help? You have too many motors sir. Worrying about how they are stored is the least of your problems. 3500 :shock: 3500 is:

- surely over 1/2 ton in weight
- one motor for every day of the week through November, 2022 (nearly 10 years from now).
- one motor to carefully unwrap and look at every weekend through 2080.
- lined up endbell to shaft tip (without any coin tubes), a train of motors 0.14 miles long!
- I'm pretty sure that geared together together you could pull upwards of 100-150 horsepower. (that's a ballpark guess for effect, but still probably a Prius).

Understanding the business you are in, it still seems odd. And on top of that, I suppose you have a feel for how many of those are basically the same exact thing with a different colored sticker on the outside.

Not that I have any sort of solution. You've probably still thrown or given away more motors than I've ever seen.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's the thing for me: I can understand wanting to collect NIB items, such as motors or RC cars. I'd want one NIB of each one for a collection. But why would I want a dozen NIB of the same thing? I just don't have the mentality for that sort of thing, I guess I lack the "collector" gene, and certainly lack the "hoarder" gene.

That said, I've watched several episodes of those "Extreme Hoarders" and "Hoarders - Buried Alive" shows and there's one distinct difference between those poor people and Bob. Collectors collect things that have value; and usually there's a desire to organize and categorize everything. Hoarders collect things that are generally garbage or valueless, to almost everyone except themselves. There's no effort to organize or document anything.

All of us would surely love to take a trip through Bob's storage places, but I myself would just be overwhelmed by it all, and wouldn't know what to do with it all--except sell off everything that there was multiples of.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3