Question for motor collectors (hoarders)... :)

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bob-Stormer
Approved Member

Question for motor collectors (hoarders)... :)

Post by Bob-Stormer »

Just like a lot of you... I'm to the point where I have to do something different with the way I collect and store motors. I find myself willing to trade and swap for the things that interest me. Problem is, i can't always find a particular one I might be looking for. And if I have 5-10 of the same thing, I have to pull and examine each one... every time I look. This risks compromising and scratching the decal, or catching edges, or scuffing them. I Need a better system.

But I don't store them in a way that lighting of any kind can destroy the coloring of plastics or decals. If light can't get at it easily, I can't see it either. So this means each one is in it's own little tube, then stored in dark cabinets. Those are then loaded up in larger Plano flat storage boxes, at what I think is 16 or so at a time. Newer motors (last 15-20 years) end up tossed in the Plano boxes about 36 to a box, I figure I'll deal with those later (fix, store, sort, etc).

The coin tubes I've been using seem to be just tight enough that if you're not careful, they'll catch a sticker edge or endbell tape. So I'm kind of wondering if there is a better solution for those.

And the bag'd and packaged stuff. That's a different situation entirely. Every time you handle it, it gets worse, and they take up lot's of room.

here's a small sample of each situation,
boxed newer, coin tube older, and random packaged motors. I suppose I might have... 3500 or so motors, and I'd like to start getting a better handle on it. And I know from experience they don't display well without fading.

Storage for newer stuff, looks like this.

random packaged stuff, just gets binned and stored away. No rhyme or reason to it. As they accumulate they end up in a bin. Bin gets full, I start another bin. Every time you go through the bins, you compromise the packaging.

The coin tubes. Loose motors end up in these. But I dislike how tight they are, and how you can catch a decal edge or endbell tape, and there is not enough room to typically hold wires that some vintage motors have on them. I bought a few thousand of the coin tubes before that lady went out of business. They're square, so they stack well, but I'd be more comfortable if there was an extra 3-4mm of room in the diameter of those.
I enjoy, Schumacher 1/12th, Checkpoint motors, Lazerlite motors, PB Sizzler, Pro Panther-10, Dialed Speed Controls, Paranoia spurs.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Question for motor collectors (hoarders)... :)

Post by Lonestar »

er... sorry... I couldn't stop staring at the pics... what was the question again??? :lol:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Staples sells various sized shipping boxes, one is 11x15x2", blister packaged motors fit perfectly at about 25 per box, I label the boxes for what type of motors (Reedy Mods, Trinity stock etc) on the top flap and sides so I don't have to open them to figure out where one is for a build or reference pics, and they stack perfectly and are light-safe

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Also have to think about reorganizing my motors but currently just maybe 150 motors overall. Actually store them not that different at the moment. New ones in the original box or bag, a lot of motors in tubes and some other where I have no tubes are stored in similar Plano boxes. Also have some Sagami styrofoam layers (as at picture) for storing some motors without tubes or need restoring. Some of the motors, most new motors are stored.
Attachments
some motors.jpg

Stumpy
Approved Member

Post by Stumpy »

I really like the coin tube idea.. I have one but didnt know what they were for..

The one I have must be for the Silver Eagle dollar coin, as it is approx 40mm internal diameter, and approx 73mm long.. The motors fit inside with room to spare..

Time to start searching the web to try and buy more now that I know what they are..

Thankyou
Mark..

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

The question I find myself asking now days is just how much of this stuff do I actually need. :roll: I have come to the conclusion that I don't really need an endless amount of stuff. I'd rather keep what I seriously like, care for it as best I can and move everything else on to others who also love this stuff.
I find the more I have the harder it gets to look after it all. However for someone that pretty much owns an r/c museum, well that's an entirely different situation altogether.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I really do not understand the hoarding aspect of this hobby at all. Once you have all you will ever use in a lifetime, plus one to display that is more than enough. To own way more is very odd. All you are doing is denying others from using the items. Not just in motors, but all aspects of rc hoarding. I suspect you reach a point where your pleasure is derived not by ownership, but by denying others. I am not having a go. I just find it very strange behaviour. I suspect a pshycologist would have some valuable input here! But would any of you even want to be cured? I suspect not. "Tell me about your father..."

As you were :D
GARBO 1/8

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

More cars will solve the problem, one car for each motor, they are quite safe that way :mrgreen:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Bob-Stormer wrote:I suppose I might have... 3500 or so motors

But you are still buying more! Wow. Lost for words really.
GARBO 1/8

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

It's a bit different when you own a big hobby shop. It would be much harder for the average Joe to accumulate such a vast amount of stuff.

I can only imagine how much vintage and cool rare stuff Sheldons Hobbies had before they closed down.

What some people see as dead stock others see as collectable.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I can see you would aquire a lot in the trade with old stock. But to add to that amount buy buying even more motors from forums is quite amazing. I just wondered when is enough? 5000? 10000? Never enough?

I can see an advert on Ebay in the future, posted by someone who inherits this lot... "3500 motors lot - BuyNow $3500" Will keep some Ebay rc dealers happy no doubt :D

Amazing collection.
GARBO 1/8

Bob-Stormer
Approved Member

Post by Bob-Stormer »

Theres a lot more of them (motors) than people think. :)

figure every motor maker had every wind. initially 27 on down to say 18... then eventually on down to the single digit winds. I've never really thought about a final number, but I gotta think it's closer to 15,000 maybe that were on the market?

and you're always searching for a better version of your junkiest motors. And I have a love/hate relationship with anything new in the bag or box. can't hand them to people to feel, touch, poke around with. Can't put them in your favorite version of whatever car. :) But the best ones come new in the bag. And then once you own it... you can't bring yourself to take it outta the bag...

I don't have many double or triple ups.

and the fella that mentioned cars, or when is there to many. There are so many mutated versions of each one from back in the day, I'd estimate you could build several hundred different RC10's before you even got to the stealth. My favorite cars are 235mm and 1/12. And I don't collect oval or WGT. You just have to draw the line. You could probably add 500 or more cars a year to get them all (all cars released by all the manufacturers).

Fun stuff. :)
I enjoy, Schumacher 1/12th, Checkpoint motors, Lazerlite motors, PB Sizzler, Pro Panther-10, Dialed Speed Controls, Paranoia spurs.

Bob-Stormer
Approved Member

Post by Bob-Stormer »

lil_general_lee wrote:It's a bit different when you own a big hobby shop. It would be much harder for the average Joe to accumulate such a vast amount of stuff.

I can only imagine how much vintage and cool rare stuff Sheldons Hobbies had before they closed down.

What some people see as dead stock others see as collectable.
Ron (Sheldon) and I used to trade things back and forth in the day. We'd sell a lot of something he couldn't, and vice-versa. We'd help each other out by swapping things to the other guy they could sell. "how many attack 2r's you got" maybe 200, they're gonna be out for a while "Can you swing me 100 if I throw in some Jr's?" Yea, no problem.

It was a simpler time, there was no internet, no email, no ebay, no forums. Just a guy on a phone. :)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Kyosho used cute plastic cylinders to ship their motors back in the day. I could sell you some, but I only have 5...not 3500. :lol: J/K
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I always love seeing the pictures of your collections, Mr. Stormer!

I have a hundred or so brushed motors - I use all the same storage methods you mentioned.

I really have not seen any better storage options.

BTW - the Kyosho tubes aren't much of an improvement over the coin tubes.
-dldiaz