Support your local hobby store...for this??

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Support your local hobby store...for this??

Post by klavy69 »

Lonestar wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:What colour tube you looking for Marc?
Blue with a black or blue rubber cap, but it'd be nice to have other colors, too; red, pink, green, purple. 8)

tamiya bags of antenna tubes...
my lhs might have a couple bags of the trinity 6030 asst. sets left somewhere. If not I think I might have a bag somewhere with what you are lookin for. With 2.4 one tube will do about 8 cars for me and at the rate I'm needing them I'll die with most of the ones I got :lol:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

The one local store in my area ( baton rouge,La) does not support any associated cars. other than that, good store. way too many models though. Like half the store is dedicated too them. They've mainstreamed traxxas stuff so im SoL on most stuff. on the other hand, a store about 50 miles away happened to have a nice collection of discontinued parts which let me get what I needed to make a new stealth tranny :)

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

Most all the shops here have mainstreamed Traxxes stuff. Hobbytown is the only shop localy that has TA buggies and more in stock. Shop in Lafayette does have a good selection of current parts, but not much for cars/trucks at the moment. Lots of Traxxes, Duratrax and a couple other brands. Mike
Silly NT's, I have Aspergers!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Wow, guess I''m spoiled. I have 3 local places where they not only have a massive stock of kits and parts, they actually know what they are talking about! One guy, very small store, he used to race RC10s and Kyoshos BITD. It was pretty cool and he was explaining how he had his setup and stuff.

The one store that's the best though is where I originally bought my RC10. These guys say they are Canada's best stocked hobby store and I think they could be right. They have so much stuff that the walls are literally overflowing with inventory and most of the time, I can find what I want there. Once while he was looking for something I saw an old header card and it turned out to be a couple of Stealth outdrives. They had no idea that they still had it (lol) but sold it to me for peanuts. Then they brought out a BOX of old RC10 parts and I flipped through it. Some interesting things but nothing I needed so I gave it back. Reality is their store is WAY too small but I guess they stay there since they've been for so long and all the local folks go there.

The last one is a chain called Great Hobbies. While they have lots of kits to buy and are always stocked with stuff, they don't have tons of parts, so yeah its more of a toy store and their prices are much higher than the other two places (when it should be the opposite). However, I like it because they always have lots of new stock to look at and the staff are friendly and its a really big place so it nice to browse.

Guess you guys should move here since I'm so spoiled :mrgreen:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

When I was a kid I used to virtually live in my LHS as a second home :D My Dad would take me to this small family run business called Radio Active in Chelmsford, Essex, UK. I would buy little bits here and there. Sometimes after saving up my pennies, I'd drop in to buy maybe two ball bearings for my car. Or if it were a birthday or christmas much larger items. I loved the shop and everyone who worked there. They sold so many useful little things. A truly amazing place.

Sadly it was replaced with a national chain style hobby shop. Garbage compared to what it used to be like. So sad.
GARBO 1/8

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

RC104ever wrote:The last one is a chain called Great Hobbies. While they have lots of kits to buy and are always stocked with stuff, they don't have tons of parts, so yeah its more of a toy store and their prices are much higher than the other two places (when it should be the opposite). However, I like it because they always have lots of new stock to look at and the staff are friendly and its a really big place so it nice to browse.
Yeah, you must be lucky. One of the hobby stores I was referring to in this topic is Great Hobbies. They're the closest to my work and stock quite a lot of parts--for MODERN cars, of course. It seems they NEVER have the paints I'm looking for, and this last visit, most of their bloody Parma FasKolor display was gone, the only paints they had a majority in stock were the translucents & fluorescents...and no black, silver or white. :roll:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

For the record, many times especially for paint, its not the hobby shops fault. The colors used the most are also generally out of stock the most at the suppliers and it seems like paint is one of the worst ones to get back ordered.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

RC104ever wrote " They had no idea that they still had it (lol) but sold it to me for peanuts. Then they brought out a BOX of old RC10 parts "

So.... it was you, I know that shop, once a month for me, I cleaned off the peg board. They told me that I was not the only one buying the "mintage" parts. :mrgreen: I know the small shop as well, was it you that took the org. rc10 arms they had there. I went back for them, nowhere to be found :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

The Hobbytown here has always been a joke and I hadn't been in there for at least a year until recently. The owner/manager is a complete dumbass! He is so weird that he shouldn't even be allowed in public. He constantly tries to re-direct you assuming that he knows more than you do. It's infuriating! I had black-balled it completely, but the kid and I were goofing around on that side of town a couple of weeks ago and I figured what the hell. The place was a JOKE!! Their pegs were empty. Even the Traxxas pegs. :shock: I wanted to ask if they were going out of business, but the owner was staying to himself and I didn't want to pull his string. I had an itchy debit finger and couldn't find a single thing worth buying. The track I race at in Rockport has great stock, but it's only been open a few years so there's no chance of any vintage finds and it's a good 45 minutes from my house. There used to be some great shops in this town, but like many other places they just fell to dust... :(
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Hobbytowns here have very knowledgable staff working at them.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Orange wrote:Hobbytowns here have very knowledgable staff working at them.
everybody gets lucky once in awhile :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

My last visit to a hobby town was when I was looking for a set of black nose brace tubes for a truck for Marlo. I struck out at the store I thought had them, so I drove to hobby town over by markbt73 (he loves them as well lol). They proceed to tell me there has never been a black nose brace tube, "all gt's have always been blue" lmfao.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

My local shop is a HobbyTown with a bunch of a-hole kids working there. Everything they sell is obscenely overpriced. If they were to disappear, it wouldn't hurt me any. If I were closer to a real hobby shop it would be a different story.
Keith C

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Of all of the rc shops here, there are probably 2 that ever have anything that I need and even then only because I'm not only into rc cars as a hobby. One shop is well stocked and has weekly races. They are 40 miles from me. The other shops with tracks that hold races don't seem to understand that you should probably carry spare parts for the cars that actually get raced most often at your place. If you want Traxxas parts, no problem finding them. Pick a shop. I don't run Traxxas. I buy most of my stuff online since I don't have much reason not to and probably always will unless the day comes that I decide to run Traxxas which isn't likely.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

gomachv wrote:My last visit to a hobby town was when I was looking for a set of black nose brace tubes for a truck for Marlo. I struck out at the store I thought had them, so I drove to hobby town over by markbt73 (he loves them as well lol). They proceed to tell me there has never been a black nose brace tube, "all gt's have always been blue" lmfao.
Ugh. That shop is between my house and my work, it would be the easiest thing in the world to shop there, but there's absolutely no point. Even if you know exactly what you want, they'll ask what car it's for, and try to look up the part number and tell you it won't fit. They're not real big on "just sell me the %$#!!! thing." They had some clearance bins for a while, but they're pretty well picked over now.