Brushless in old buggies - bring me up to speed

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kink
Approved Member

Re: Brushless in old buggies - bring me up to speed

Post by kink »

Still weighing up what to do - vintage v BL.

But I have looked at all the brands you guys have recomended so far. As it stands I prefer Reedy for the looks. They are very plain and all black. What do you think would be the most suitable out of these models?...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Associated-Reedy-550-SL-4000kV-Brushless-Motor-925-NIB-/390547359040?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item5aee6fc540

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Associated-Reedy-540-SL-4900kV-Brushless-Motor-922-NIB-/290875030284?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item43b980bb0c

Mach 2 (nowhere near as good looking)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Associated-ASC233-Reedy-Sonic-Mach-2-Modified-Brushless-Motor-13-5T-/161000805365?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item257c6553f5

What are your thoughts on the differences of the above? Thanks
GARBO 1/8

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Of those three, I'd go with the Mach 2 13.5T. The others are quite a bit of power for an old buggy drivetrain, probably too much. The latter 4900 kV is intended for 1:8 scale buggies. :shock: I'll let the others chime in, but I'd keep my options to ~3500 kV or less.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

SoAzRC
Approved Member

Post by SoAzRC »

I'm using both!

Brushed: B4 Bomber, Show Sprint, Crawler
Brushless: SC Late Model, B4 Buggy, TC3 VTA, Nemesis Sprint

NOVAK - ALL brushless motors and ESCs, ALL brushed ESCs
Trinity - P2K brushed motors
Integy - Crawler motor

I used Novak products for years and can not recall ever having a fault...
ALL OVAL RACING:
SC10 Late Model
SC10 Modified
SC10 Bomber
Cobra Nemesis Sprint
B4 Street Stock
TC3 Late Model

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I think he's looking for more specific brushless motor suggestions, SoAZRC. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

I don't think you should choose a motor based on looks.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

85Edinger wrote:I don't think you should choose a motor based on looks.
Excellent point of course, but I do it all the time, sad to say! :mrgreen: Each of my builds has a more or less color-matched brushless motor, but at least they're all Hobbywings or variants, with an appropriate power for the car.

Racersk

Post by Racersk »

I built a RC10 Team gold pan with the intention of street and backyard bashing. (no flames please- I bought the car for an 18pack of Coors Light from a friend!)

My first purchase was a 7.4V 30C 5000Ma LiPO and a Traxxas VXL-3s/ Velineon 3500 brushless motor kit

81spur and 21pinion (I think thats what the hobby shop looked up...) and we are talking 40+mph and wheelies are dialed in or out with the slipper!

All this fun with 30+ minute run times!

I agree 100% with all the above comments and keep the *hot* brushless motors in the trucks (electric RC10GT conversion!?).

I am currently buying parts designed for the RC10T and GT. My oem Stealth was tired, but did last a few packs before removing all the teeth from the idler gear. But all the parts for a stronger rebuild are out there, diff gear/balls/rings, gt metal idler, and going for the B4 slipper conversion (new upper shaft x2 slipper pads,etc) for my current rebuild. I converted to B4 axles and rims with Proline dirt Hawgs(it is still a buggy, but closer to 1/8 scale in size/lenght) but have fully swapped to 10T suspension.

This thing is SUPER fast and SUPER fun-handles terrific, BUT so far I have only one run that I didn't break something before the pack was discharged before I got it to be reliably fast and fun. ;-) But to be fair all the broken parts were old brittle and fully used by the previous owner.

Right now I need new B4 rear rims cause I stripped mine- as I tried to mod them for the early tapered axles, but didn't quite work out.

I am also getting RC10(G)T turnbuckles and replacing the tiny ball cups I currently have from the vintage buggy and 10T, all of which are beginning to show signs of failure-planning on an upgrade to the RC10T2 #7217 lower shock mounts and use them as ball joints on each upper arm and steering linkage before the stock stuff breaks.

In short running any of the older cars these days, your gonna break stuff. with RPM recast arms and a few key component upgrades/updates, these older buggies can play with the newer ones easily.

Shawn K

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I am open to suggestions. I am basing the shortlist on looks at the moment as I am still learning about BL! My ideas are by no means final. I am just trying to figure out what may be acceptable for now. Feel free to recommend something specific...

Is this more suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reedy-540-SL-Sensorless-Brushless-Motor-3300kV-ASC920-/290870800445?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item43b940303d
GARBO 1/8

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Sure, that'd be a great choice, not much different from the Mach 2 you linked earlier.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Yes, the Reedy 3300 is a good choice. Okay speed, lots of torque - would be a fun runner with that motor. I have one and had it in mine for awhile but in the quest for more speed I took it out and put in a Castle 4600 and never looked back.

I started with an old stock motor (brushed), then went to a hotter brushed motor (can't recall what it was), then a Traxxas Titan 12T setup, which was okay and it was faster, then 3300 Reedy, then Castle 4600, and finally a Castle 5700. Now its almost TOO fast, but that's how I like it :mrgreen:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I want to run mine carefully, so max speed is not an issue. Average speed should be ok.

Ok look at this guys - it is beautiful! Lovely colours, old logo - perfect looks. BUT it says it is for 1/12 cars. Does this matter? Can't gearing be used to make this ideal? Please explain if not...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320798114307?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also a nice vintage motor - would match my gold shocks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Technigold-Motor-RX-540VZ-NEW-MINT-/181113270283?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item2a2b31300b
GARBO 1/8

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

kink wrote:I want to run mine carefully, so max speed is not an issue. Average speed should be ok.

Ok look at this guys - it is beautiful! Lovely colours, old logo - perfect looks. BUT it says it is for 1/12 cars. Does this matter? Can't gearing be used to make this ideal? Please explain if not..
If it doesn't have enough RPM, sure, lower gearing will make an under-powered motor accelerate faster, but it'll top out way too early with a low top speed. I don't see any specs on that motor so I sure wouldn't be paying over $100 for it just because it looks pretty. ;) I think you have to pay more attention to specs than to looks. Even though I admit to selecting motors to match my custom chassis colors, I *always* choose a motor by specs first, and even price plays a bigger role than looks.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

If it is no good of course I won't buy it! But if I get a selection of a few motors you guys say are ok, then I can make a decision based on looks. And yes those are expensive!

I also like the Kyosho Le Mans Gold motors! 8)
GARBO 1/8

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

X2 3500kv running in buggies. Brushed vs brushless is a no brainer. If you enjoy the hobby and maintaining brushed motors, knock yourself out. If you enjoy running with little maintenance, experiment with brushless. Your brushed buggy can be as fast as the brushless but will require more maintenance.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I can see clear logic in going BL for sure. But I cannot help a little nostalgia over brushed motors. Some of them are lovely to look at and would look great in an older RC10. At the moment my car is from 1994 with era correct upgrades / tweaks. If I put BL in there it would have to be very plain so it does not stand out and look odd (hence why I'd want plain black on BL). If the motor and ESC were era correct I'd like a mix of black and gold to compliment my build of the same scheme.

Once I have narrowed down a short list of brushed and BL options - which you guys say will WORK - then I'll make a decision. I appreciate all your help so far! :)
GARBO 1/8