The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

Re: The BMX (and other bikes) thread

Post by longboardnj »

[quote][isnt that the green Klein bike from seinfeld? i always wanted to get a green klein bike just to hang it on my wall and say look i have that bike every time a seinfeld episode is on../quote]
Attachments
Seinfeld_s8e16.jpg
Seinfeld_s8e16.jpg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Seinfeld_s8e16.jpg
Seinfeld_s8e16.jpg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 1195 times

vintage88
Approved Member

Post by vintage88 »

I just picked up a steel of a deal yesterday got a haro f3 with oddesey forks eastern headset, oversized axels, three piece crank, all sealed bearings all for $40 not to shappy i think also picked up an ok hyper bike not to sure about it but i like the tiny sprockets payed 25 for it...

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

MelvinsArmy wrote:One more. This is a nice 1985 GT Pro World Tour. It's a survivor and looks to be 100% original. It's in great condition. I've always wanted a purple GT. Not sure if I'm going to hold on to this one though, really wanting to rebuild that Trickstar.
Did the Chinese repop the GT? I saw two on the same day in the hood. One was for sale in a heap of bikes, as I turned the car around to check it out I saw a kid ride by on another.

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

I sold off my bikes but this one was a keeper :o As a kid I had never heard of Hutch, I just wanted a bike with foot pegs. They sold this one at the local auto parts store and I was amazed by the color and wheel covers.

It's a Kent Concept "Ultra-Style" 8)

Self described chronic hobbyist

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

New to this site, and enjoying it as much as rebuilding buggys and bikes.

This was my ride, it took 3 weeks to complete, and the finishing touch were the Pro Class bars. They arrived on my birthday, they were fitted, I went for a ride, i parked the bike up outside a bagel store and when I came out the bike was gone.

Now looking for a Supergoose.
Attachments
Mongoose04.jpg
GooseMag - 01.jpg

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Oof! I never, never, NEVER leave my bike outside any store in NYC. It either comes in with me, or I don't go in. The only bike I even consider locking up is my commuter mountain bike, and that's only to run into the post office or somewhere I can get in and out of in 5 minutes.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Oof! I never, never, NEVER leave my bike outside any store in NYC. It either comes in with me, or I don't go in. The only bike I even consider locking up is my commuter mountain bike, and that's only to run into the post office or somewhere I can get in and out of in 5 minutes.
wow nyc is that bad? why would you not lock up a bike outside a store? i lock up ss bikes outside of stores in nj. the most expensive one is like $700 .. i dont do that with my surly karate monkey ive got like $1500 in that thing. i had my db formula one bmx bike stolen it sucked wish i locked it up.

Neils74
Approved Member

Post by Neils74 »

longboardnj wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:Oof! I never, never, NEVER leave my bike outside any store in NYC. It either comes in with me, or I don't go in. The only bike I even consider locking up is my commuter mountain bike, and that's only to run into the post office or somewhere I can get in and out of in 5 minutes.
wow nyc is that bad? why would you not lock up a bike outside a store?

They will nick anything in a heartbeat, if it has one lock or 10 locks and they want it, it's gone. My wife's god awful powder blue mommy cruiser with a basket and a kiddy seat had two locks, and that was pilfered .

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

wow this world sux more and more everyday

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

longboardnj wrote: isnt that the green Klein bike from seinfeld? i always wanted to get a green klein bike just to hang it on my wall and say look i have that bike every time a seinfeld episode is on..

It's pretty close to the seinfeld bike. In the screenshot above I see that it has regular forks and a mission control bar and stem. I bought it from a guy on craigslist for $200. I couldn't believe the deal I got.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

There are millions of bike carcasses laying around NYC. Even if you lock your bike up, it takes only seconds for a thief to take your wheels, your seat, handlebars, even cranks. It's sad. I wouldn't be happy to come out to my mtb with no wheels, but if I came out to one of my "good" bikes with no wheels, I'd be furious. That and I have a few parts on bikes that would be nearly impossible to replace. My bike is never more than an arms length away from me when I ride. Gotta pee? Into the park bathroom with me it goes if I'm not riding with a friend who can watch outside.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I don't see what all the hub-bub is. Just stick your bike in your back pocket whenever you go in somewhere. Kinda like this guy. :wink:

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Man, I miss Gary Larson and The Far Side.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

found a pic of my old karate monkey set up.i used it off road like it was set up in pic till i broke my collarbone and a few ribs on my back(nj rocky trails).. now i got a 50mm black market stem, pimp cromo downhill riser bars,put on some dual sport 42x700c tires and regeared it 36x17.. gave it more of a bmx feel. i wanted to get 1 or 2 oldschool bmx bikes but they are just too much cash.i was thinking about fixing up a old gt performer i had but by the time i was done the bike would cost almost as much as a new one so i sold it to a friend for $50 . i can see why vintage parts are alot, i dont think there is alot left.. i destroyed alot of bikes back in the day.. dont get me wrong i saved alot of bikes on junk nite (in the past nj had a few nites a month you could throw out any junk)and free bikes from friends but they all died in the end.. if i was not cutting up bikes and making choppers id be riding them in the woods in the mud and in the streams. we would ride along the streams sometimes after the rain the streams were up to the seat.. alot of fun but real bad on the bearings. when the the bikes got real beat up we would ghost ride them down hills and off jumps .. :twisted:
Attachments
300888_10150296993213995_1216533524_n.jpg

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

longboard... check Craigslist for local bikes. Much less expensive than epay.