RC10T Advise Wanted - 1st Time Poster

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

setforvb

RC10T Advise Wanted - 1st Time Poster

Post by setforvb »

Hello all, this is my first post on RC10talk. I’m looking for some advice before buying a used RC10T. So I’ve been away from RC cars for quite some time now. “Back in the 80s” I was recreationally running a Hot Shot II, Monster Beetle, Newman Porsche and a RC12L – Attack R and Magnum Jr radio; 1st Edition Novak ESC; 540 motors and NICAD batteries. I’ve always wanted a RC10 Truck and now that my kids are getting to be old enough, I’m looking to get back into it and I’m sure they will follow close behind. I’ve always admired and wanted the vintage Gold Pan RC10T, love the aluminum pan style/concept and gold look, white wheels /parts - and wanted to know if buying a used vintage one would be a wise move as compared to looking into at a newer model T4 1,2,3,4? I would not be racing and I’m not looking to put together a pristine collector’s item that’s going to sit on a shelf and pick-up dust; just recreational running but would be interested in a brushless motor w/esc and lipos. Building/fixing/tinkering/maintaining is as much fun as running for me and I still have a lot of reading to do to get familiar with the latest and greatest. If something breaks, half the fun (for me) is taking it apart and building/fixing it stronger and better. I would be ok with mixing/matching parts from yester-year and today so that whatever I come up with looks/runs cool. It’s seems that many parts for vintage Gold Pan 10T are still available online. I could use a lesson on the pros and cons between the A stamp/B stamp and what versions to stay away from. If you were looking to get back in it, what model would you look to? Any advice/direction/thoughts/opinions would be appreciated before I buy anything and I would love to post up pics of my progress as I get it rolling.
Thanks
Cory / SetforVB

scr8p
Administrator

Re: RC10T Advise Wanted - 1st Time Poster

Post by scr8p »

one problem you'll have is that they never made a gold tub 10t. they had black anodizing. now, doing a monster truck conversion on an rc10 buggy....... that's an option. or buying a 10t and having it reanodized whatever color you want.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

It's a tricky one. If your not wanting to race, yet also not wanting a shelf queen... You just cancelled each other out. Then saying you want to run lipo and brushless puts a new t4 back on top. For the sake of parts and durability a new kit will be better. Old parts never get easier to find, and the old truck was never built for the modern power we have. True it would nt be aluminum but as a runner I bet you would be happier.

If I was buying new I don't think I could stay away from a Durango or Losi 22. I'm a sucker for aluminum too
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

setforvb

Post by setforvb »

So the Gold Pan aluminum tubs were never a 10T just a 10 converted to a truck? For some reason, i was always thinking the original truck was the gold pan, but thanks for the info. Good to know.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yup, there was never a gold 10t nose so it was probably a converted buggy
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

Brushless and lipo is wheelie happy in a 10t. I have both a 10t and a t4. I run both but the t4 is a much more planted truck with the brushless. The stealth in the original 10t will hold up but the stock slipper will not. I bought the t4 just to have something more modern and easier to find parts for. I stuck with the t4 because of all the wheels and tire I have that would not have worked with a 22t and a buddy had it for sale at the right price.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

setforvb

Post by setforvb »

Thanks for the replies - few more questions:

If I picked up an RC10 gold pan buggy, does a conversion kit exist to make it a truck or is it a matter of tracking down the parts?

Anyone have a parts list necessary for the conversion?

What's the deal/difference with the stamped bodies? Should i be looking towards 1 vs the other for a truck conversion?

Thanks
Cory/SetforVB

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

To convert to an actual 10t it wouldn't be cost effective at all

To put offset wheels on it would make it wide like a truck but the handling would suck

It's cheaper to buy a 10t than to build one. I just sold one for $80 shipped for example.

A stamp is 6 gear, b is both, and c is stealth BASICALLY. There's a lot more to it but you'd want to read the 25 years thread
Factory Works website

Rayzerp
Approved Member

Post by Rayzerp »

Trucks are certainly cheaper to buy. My 10T cost the equivilant of about 100 dollars and looks like it never turned a wheel....a buggy in the same condition would have been much more.
Depends what you want to do with the truck though...if you plan to upgrade arms, CVD`s, shock mounts and turnbuckles etc then the base you start from might not matter as most of the donor vehicle will end up in your parts bin.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

biff85ta wrote:Brushless and lipo is wheelie happy in a 10t. I have both a 10t and a t4. I run both but the t4 is a much more planted truck with the brushless. The stealth in the original 10t will hold up but the stock slipper will not. I bought the t4 just to have something more modern and easier to find parts for. I stuck with the t4 because of all the wheels and tire I have that would not have worked with a 22t and a buddy had it for sale at the right price.
i'm going to have to disagree with you here. i've raced my 10t with both 17.5 and 8.5 brushless systems and it's a joy to drive, not a wheelie machine at all. if yours wheelies too much, or at all you may have setup issues; slipper to tight, suspension, gearing, etc...

tommy911t
Approved Member

Post by tommy911t »

kaiser wrote:
biff85ta wrote:Brushless and lipo is wheelie happy in a 10t. I have both a 10t and a t4. I run both but the t4 is a much more planted truck with the brushless. The stealth in the original 10t will hold up but the stock slipper will not. I bought the t4 just to have something more modern and easier to find parts for. I stuck with the t4 because of all the wheels and tire I have that would not have worked with a 22t and a buddy had it for sale at the right price.
i'm going to have to disagree with you here. i've raced my 10t with both 17.5 and 8.5 brushless systems and it's a joy to drive, not a wheelie machine at all. if yours wheelies too much, or at all you may have setup issues; slipper to tight, suspension, gearing, etc...
Just to second this response, I thought I'd jump in.
My 17.5(sometimes boosted) only wheelies when I set it up to do so.
My BONE STOCK RC10T Team has been a joy to race week in week out for the last six months.
I will admit, I broke a ball stud.

I pick up craigslist 10T's when they are let go cheap which keeps me and other T racers stocked up for way less than ebay.

It's a different way to approach racing, but I enjoy the close competition, occasional wins and just plain nastagia in stock truck.
My 44.2 and 4.1 keep me in the looking for the edge, but the T brings me back to a fun pace.
Drivers,
Less than five... Go OnTheTone
onthetone.blogspot.com

biff85ta
Approved Member

Post by biff85ta »

My track was extremely high bite the last time I ran mine and the only time with the new V2 T4 and by the time it would not wheelie it was a LOT of slip. If the track had not been so moist and overly grippy it might have been possible to tone it down. I had tried with the stock slipper on a much drier track but the disk died pretty quick with the lipo and 3930KV duratrax motor. I actually thought about grabbing tires I knew would not work on the track that day. I am sure my setup was not optimal but I was just having some fun in my backyard and I doubt I will be racing with the 10t anytime soon as I just don't have the spares needed.
"It is not how you finish but how you qualify unless you qualify bad then it is how you finish."
Words of wisdom from the Cox bros at my local track.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Welcome to rc10talk. Used Rc10t's and parts can be found on ebay for cheap. Don't go too crazy on the power plant and it will last a long time. Realize though that with this discontinued truck, parts won't be as easy as going to the hobby shop and picking up a spare. You'll have to search here or ebay for spares.