Introducing Buggy Boy Wheelie!!

The place for all things Nikko / Toy Grade.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Introducing Buggy Boy Wheelie!!

Post by Coelacanth »

Here's something I bet nobody's seen before (unless you're in your 40's or older and grew up in Japan): Buggy Boy Wheelie, from K.K. Matsushiro Japan. I was over at the parents' house tonight and was digging around on the top shelf in my old bedroom where some of my kid stuff has been sitting all these decades, and discovered this little gem that I somehow thought I sold at a garage sale when I was in my late teens. This was my first "more than a toy" RC.

My parents went on a trip to Japan in '81 or so and brought back some cutting-edge technology toys (for that time) for my brother & I. I got this trike and he got a 2-wheel RC motorcycle that had a gyro in it and lights, rider, etc...this was over 30 years ago! This actually predates Tamiya's Wild Willy. :)

It's a pretty complex, fun little RC. It has a battery pack holding 4 "C" cells that can be arranged in two positions under the seat, depending on if you want to go fast or do wheelies. Accordingly, it has a switch for 2 speeds; low for wheelies, high for speed. It even has a retractable wheelie-bar, rudimentary front coil springs that admittedly don't work too well, but hey...this was the beginning of the 80's. ;) You can turn on the headlight--and it still works! You can position the rider in different positions to do stunts.

The radio holds 6 "AA" batteries but I couldn't find a 9 volt battery which installs on the bottom of the trike. I imagine it still works fine, but I have to find a 9V battery and give it a test-drive.

I had loads of fun with this when I was a teen...let's see, I would've been about 13 or 14 at the time. Have any of you guys seen anything like this before? I've seen a thread on here (and commented on it) discussing some more rudimentary trike ATV RC vehicles but all these years, I don't think I ever saw another one like Buggy Boy Wheelie. I'm glad we're reunited again! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I searched for and found that other topic on the forum, here:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27513
Attachments
BuggyBoy1.jpg
BuggyBoy2.jpg
BuggyBoy6.jpg
BuggyBoy5.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Introducing Buggy Boy Wheelie!!

Post by Coelacanth »

More pics...
BuggyBoy3.jpg
BuggyBoy4.jpg
BuggyBoy7.jpg
BuggyBoy8.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

That is one cool toy Marc.

Really like it. Toys back then were built so much better then the garbage of todays.

So neat you still have it after all these yrs. The bike sounds awesome too. Does your brother still have it??
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mad Racer wrote:So neat you still have it after all these yrs. The bike sounds awesome too. Does your brother still have it??
I wish it was still around too, but I have no idea what happened to it. It had a real scale look to it, unlike the Buggy Boy. A realistic rider & motorbike, it leaned into turns...very cool technology for the time.

It's funny, I tried Googling this trike and nothing turns up at all. How often does *that* happen? :mrgreen:

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Very nice :) Did it actually come before the Kyosho (ie bef '82)?

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I had one of those in about 1983-85 ish but had cord attaching controller to bike. Obviously not exactly the same but the bike was.
My brother and I got matching ones for Christmas. I havent seen one in years thanks for posting very cool.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Actually, If that controller is "normal" size than compared to it the trike is alot bigger than the one I had. Maybe they made 2 sizes.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

slapshot1979 wrote:Actually, If that controller is "normal" size than compared to it the trike is alot bigger than the one I had. Maybe they made 2 sizes.
I probably should've put something in the picture to help show the scale--the controller is smallish, maybe 2/3 the size of a Futaba Attack stick controller, maybe. If I can find a 9V battery, and the thing still works, I'll try to record a video.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Finding stuff like that is like being thrown back in time... Cool trik BTW
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I think the rider will flip right over and ride on the front fender. :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

slapshot1979 wrote:I think the rider will flip right over and ride on the front fender. :lol:
You've seen that image, "The many positions of kama sutra"? Maybe I'll have to make an image showing "The many positions of Buggy Boy". His shoulders are quite flexible, I think he's even double-jointed! :lol:

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Coelacanth wrote:You've seen that image, "The many positions of kama sutra"? Maybe I'll have to make an image showing "The many positions of Buggy Boy". His shoulders are quite flexible, I think he's even double-jointed! :lol:
Hilarious!

Where are the barbie dolls to make the thread X-rated? Ever see Team America: World Police? :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

flipwils11 wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:You've seen that image, "The many positions of kama sutra"? Maybe I'll have to make an image showing "The many positions of Buggy Boy". His shoulders are quite flexible, I think he's even double-jointed! :lol:
Hilarious!

Where are the barbie dolls to make the thread X-rated? Ever see Team America: World Police? :lol:
Darn, I *knew* I should've kept all my Barbies from my childhood... :shock: