Vintage AE's Toyota GTP RC10L

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage AE
Approved Member

Vintage AE's Toyota GTP RC10L

Post by vintage AE »

I've been helping out with some painting for a fellow member and have been rewarded with a RC10L :D

I've painted a 10L body with a Toyota GTP scheme for the member and being a Toyota guy myself, I decided to one of my own.

Here is a shot of the one I just painted....I must note, this is my first try with an airbrush. With some more experience I think I will be able to be decent at this, not amazing, but capable
DSC_1701.JPG
The 10L is a fibreglass chassis version with some added stuff, here are a few questions I have

I would like to know what the front end is all about...make, etc?.
I've never sanded a fiberglass chassis before either and need to know what grit to use??
I received the aluminum rims from Reg. I forget what make they are so if anyone knew, I would love to know.
Where can I get foams tires for them?
DSC_1705.JPG
DSC_1709.JPG
Front setup
DSC_1708.JPG
A somewhat blurry wheel shot, just drink a beer first :roll:
DSC_1707.JPG

reign79
Approved Member

Re: Vintage AE's Toyota GTP RC10L

Post by reign79 »

The front end is made by cheetah racing fully adjustable,the rims are made by a rc10talk member bigjeep...? Forget the exact spelling :? You can get foams at rc4less
Ryan

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

wow, you answered nearly all the questions, thanks!

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I'm not sure you will be able to remove the deeper scratches on the bottom of your chassis ,but you can certainly lessen their appearance by smoothing them out. I would hit it with 3M wet 600 grit then down to 1200. You could go with 400 too ,but use caution as this could add to the scratches with more aggressive grit. Use water when sanding and a sanding block or a block of balsa wood to keep it flat. Sand in one direction only. Get a pack of Micro Mesh polishing cloths for a final smoothing as these go all the way down to 12000 and will really bring out the shine. Check page 3 of my rusty RC12E resto thread to see the compounds also I use. That's going to be a sweet car. 8)

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That toyota shell looks killer. And those see's wheels are sexy. Eventhough I have a set of them, I drool everytime I see them.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Thanks for the help plastizapca, I'm going to try the 600 & 1200 grit.

And, thanks for the compliment Sho

Some of you have probably seen my other 10L build and for those that haven't, it the Gulf car in the photos below. I wanted to swap out some parts on each of these cars to better suit the other one. So far I count about 6 or 7 things I want to swap out, the shock and the bottom plate being the main focus, but also the pivot sockets, rear body posts, left hand rear bulkhead, damper washers and springs, and the plastic axle bearing adapters.......I think that's it, lol.

Here is what I'm working with.
DSC_1711.JPG
DSC_1712.JPG

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Got everything sorted :D Black parts on the black chassis and white parts on the fibreglass chassis. Everything on the Gulf car looks great and I'm liking how the Toyota car is coming together.
DSC_1713.JPG
DSC_1714.JPG
DSC_1716.JPG
This is the paint I'm going lay down. Oh, and Rick if you catch this thread before I PM you, I'm looking for 99, not 98 like on Rod's.
images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 3635 times

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB
Approved Member

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I'm going to get a first hand look at some pan cars, both 1/10 and 1/12 tomorrow. :mrgreen: Finding this thread isn't going to help at all with resisting the urge. I'm already practicing my quickdraw with my debit card. :lol: You're off and running with these! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Lol thumb

Pan cars are great for shelf queens and always seem to be a good addition to an Associated collection. It just seems that they can look so pretty with a good paint job. This will be my second that's going to sit in the shelf and I still don't wont to sell one if them.

unclemikey1978
Approved Member

Post by unclemikey1978 »

You can wet sand the chassis and polish it with simichrome polish. That's what I used on mine. Look up a guy on here named durb69, he has several posts about refinishing these fiberglass chassis.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

unclemikey1978 wrote:You can wet sand the chassis and polish it with simichrome polish. That's what I used on mine. Look up a guy on here named durb69, he has several posts about refinishing these fiberglass chassis.
I've been looking for the method you guys used but am coming up short so far. Ive seen the result of one of his chassis on one of you threads and that chassis looks sweet. I've seen all the sand paper in your photo too, but no details. You got any links?, I'll keep looking

unclemikey1978
Approved Member

Post by unclemikey1978 »

There should be a link to his original post in my 10L restoration page. I'll try to find it and post it here.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Okay, thanks!

For now I'm going with a 400 grit due to the deep scratches in the chassis. Then I'll probably proceed with a 600 or 1000 grit and then a 2000 grit before I spray it with Future (an acrylic finish) for the final coat. I'm going to do the same thing with all the aluminum parts to the 2000 grit and then use Mothers aluminum polish. I think the car will be nice and shiny once it's done.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Glad to see the wheels going on another car. Look forward to seeing the finished pics and good luck with donuts, RC4less is a great place to start but you may have to extend your search to find both the front and rears. Last i looked they only had fronts. Try windtunnel as well for donuts. There are a couple other places out there but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

They are great wheels and deserve to be on a nice car. With a bit of sanding and polishing... okay, a lot of sanding and polishing this car will turn out sweet. It might take some time to get the tires but really that's all it needs besides the GTP body and paint. The wheels were a gift from Reggie and the car was given to me by Rod. I'd be tempted to donate this car to a rc10talk auction and give the proceeds to the forum, but not sure if I will want to give it up once its done.