First RC10 GoldPan, Vintage Runner

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: First RC10 Goldpans on the way!

Post by kaiser »

don't bother stripping the body, you can still get them.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

I have not seen a successful method to strip paint on Lexan bodies - Most of the solvents ruin the lexan. They still make this style body, and they are only $12 at places like Tower Hobbies and Ebay.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Looks like a real solid car built by somebody that knew what he was doing. The aluminum RPS wheels are a nice bonus :wink:

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

I strip lexan bodies all the time for my Scale Crawlers, brake fluid is the best and only every now and then does it destroy what Im workin on and thats usually if I soak it rather than just pour it on and wipe it all over. With these bodies bein so cheap I might still try it just cause I enjoy it but I will order a better looking body down the road. Its funny...I literally NEVER liked the looks of buggy style RCs but these old school, single seat in the rear buggies look awesome to me all of a sudden. I also want to build a sand buggy truck style RC10 but thats for one of the rougher chassis. This one I will prolly keep pretty close to what it is, get it running and enjoy it for what it is!
Matt

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Welcome to the site! You made a great find on your first RC10. The Losi bellcrank was was the best upgrade you could've gotten in my opinion, as well as the ball links. However, the add-on motor guard would have to go. There's nothing else you really need improve on otherwise.
If you're looking for a modern 48 pitch spur gear, RJ Speed makes direct drop-ins.

Well done on the score!!
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Sweet start to the game! Very nice car! 8)

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Nice car. Looking forward to seeing your projects that I can tell are on the way. Enjoy you RC10 addiction 8)
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Got her runnin today after a quick trip to the LHS for some parts. Im gonna swap a 48p Robinson racing spur from one of my SCX10s, just gotta figure out how to make the balls spin a little free-er. Coupld guys at the LHS really liked the car and asked if they could get it off me. I laughed and said NO WAY...havnt even driven it yet lol. Im havin issues with the Tazer ESC thats in it, goes forward NO problem but has no brake and no reverse. The light lights up showing that it recognizes reverse but nothin happens. Ive programmed it a couple times now with no results. I wanna sort that out and then find a good brushed motor for it that will run cool and still be quick enough for me to have some fun with. If that fails, I have a Sidewinder and will be lookin at a possible brushless combo. OH and the motor gaurd is LONG gone, but the holes in the motor plate are now stripped so Ill be messing with that to get it lookin right again shortly.

I did get to drive it tho with a random unknown turn motor and it was slow as can be but fun either way!!! With a little pickup in speed, some shock tuning and maybe some different tires it looks like itll be a FUN little buggy!!!

Matt

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

66sprint6 wrote:Got her runnin today after a quick trip to the LHS for some parts. Im gonna swap a 48p Robinson racing spur from one of my SCX10s, just gotta figure out how to make the balls spin a little free-er.
I haven't bought a Robinson gear in many years, but we had to trim the lip (where the balls fit in) on one side of the gear in order to let the diff balls make contact with both drive rings. I've noticed that RJSpeed gears don't require that.

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Hmmm...so the issue with the balls not spinning is the width of the spur gear surrounding the ball, not the fact that its too tight and the balls wont spin huh? I might have to check out RJSpeed! In the mean time Im still runnin the spur that came with it. Cant get the ESC to reverse so Ive swapped in the Sidewinder for now. Havnt had a chance to mess with it but I hope to some tomorrow! Then itll be time to sit down and plan exactly what I wanna do with it, keep it as it is and just enjoy it, mod it to be fast and stable or what lol. Itll mostly be a basher but Ide love to chase my friends slashes and other shortcourse trucks around some when the opportunity arrises. None of us race so I dont doubt a decent setup on one of the goldpans would be competative when we do get together to mess around!
Matt

sick70malibu

Post by sick70malibu »

Nice score on the super clean Goldpan! I love that paint scheme and I may or may not rip it off. ;) Also good to see another scaler take the plunge in to the low fast stuff lol

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Its def. a new adventure for me, but I also have a scaler runnin a 10.5 brushless and another runnin a 7.5 turn but the way they are geared keeps em from bein very quick up top, but when you hit the throttle down low they scream lol. The one with a 7.5 is lowered and set up to handle a little better so I could bash it around at the track, around the yard and hit the trails. Its a TON of fun, but I think one of these RC10s could be made into somethin quicker, more agile and alot more fun!

On another note, I got the Sidewinder in and took her for a run up and down the driveway. This sucker moves pretty good on the unknown motor but the motor gets WAY too hot so itll be comin out shortly. Got my first bit of carnage today tho when I sideswiped my trucks tire with the buggies' tire.

The spindle looks ok, looks like it just pulled the E clip out of the back which I never did end up finding lol. Gonna need to look into a new powerplant, as well as some better tires and then figure out what kinda teaks the suspension needs to get it to handle a bit better. Had fun while it lasted, wish I lived closer to some tracks I could mess around on!
Matt

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

66sprint6 wrote:Hmmm...so the issue with the balls not spinning is the width of the spur gear surrounding the ball, not the fact that its too tight and the balls wont spin huh?
It was something noticed several years ago with Kimbrough gears, too. Now that I think about it, I could be wrong about Robinson, but check anyway. The molded area that holds the diff ball was made just wide enough that the rings bottomed out before making contact with the balls. When I started doing a 6gear restoration, I went with a modern 48 pitch gear, and the RJ Speed gear was a perfect drop-in.

Another thing to look into: Someone used to make real snap-rings for the RC10, as opposed to those e-clips. It shouldn't be too hard to find. They're standard 1/8" , I think. (Your little mishap reminded me of that).

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Parma had them, maybe others too. That issue was very common bitd!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Looks like it still is! :lol: