First RC10 GoldPan, Vintage Runner

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

66sprint6
Approved Member

First RC10 GoldPan, Vintage Runner

Post by 66sprint6 »

New member here, not only new to RC10talk but also to the RC10 all together. I am a Scale Crawler at heart but an RC LOVER all around. I never got into buggies until I went on the lookout for a Tamiya SandScorcher and stumbled across an RC10 Scorcher project online. This led me here and somethin about the old Gold Pan cars has got me hooked. I currently have 2 old, beat up Gold Pans heading my way and I look forward to gettin to know these things. One I plan on building into a Baja style buggy, but now that I have two comin I would like to make another into a period correct, vintage lookin buggy that will also handle some abuse and perform the best I can get it to. I would like to basically tear them both completely down when I get them, clean em up and then go about putting them back together and fixing anything that needs it. Ive used simple green or Castrol purple power in the past to clean my RCs, would this be suitable for the old Gold Pans? I dont want to remove the gold color or ruin the plastic parts either. Ive lurked around this site for a good while now, but are there any tips or things I should look for while Im goin at this. I will post pics along the way and I appreciate any and all info. Like many of the Scale websites Im fond of, this place seems to be pretty awesome as well and I hope I can become a good, contributing member as well!

UPDATE: Now that all the GoldPans are here, Ive decided to keep this one the way it is and just have fun with it. I dont want to bash it or beat it to a pulp, but would love to keep it running and have fun with it when I can. Its in such great shape and has some really nice, tasteful mods so other than electronics, some tires and a body swap I dont plan to change much at all!!!

Matt

trek
Approved Member

Re: First RC10 Goldpans on the way!

Post by trek »

Welcome to the fun! Simple green works great on cleaning up the cars. I have been told NOT to soak any of the Aluminum in simple green as it will cause a haze. I'm sure some others can elaborate on that. If you don't have a manual, they can be downloaded from the Associated website. Depending on which transmission you got, there are different manuals. The orginal manual is not named or located where you would think, I believe it is under Team car. (Oh look for discontinued products on the website to find the manuals). The orginal manual has a yellow cover on it. I only have old 6 gear transmissions, so I haven't looked at any of the other manuals. Anyway have fun and share you pictures, we all love to see these cars.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

I dont want to remove the gold color
Just use dish soap and warm water on the anodized aluminum parts, some Acetone if you need to remove any super glue. Goo Gone will handle the old double sided tape.

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

NICE! Im lookin for the manual as we speak and will print and bind it while Im at work :lol:

I cant believe the amount of amazing resto projects runnin around this place. I wont be doin anything near that quality with either of these, but I LOVE taking older things and putting them back to use again so I look forward to gettin em back on the dirt in one way or another. I will def. post pics as soon as they arrive and probably post up seperate threads when I finally decide what to do with them.

Matt

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

Welcome. Be careful what you use on the ano parts. Some of the purple products and of course oven cleaner will eat the ano. Looking forward to seeing some pics.
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

Can't wait to see some pics, and how well it cleans up. I am about to begin the same process...

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Ok...Ive now got THREE goldpans on the way. One will no doubt be a parts car, but the other two have alot of potential and Im only $52 outta pocket at the moment. That amount will go up when the rolling chassis and parts I traded for the other two are mailed out but I still came out pretty well. Trading is the best! Ive even got most of what I need to get at least one of em runnin electronic wise layin around from the roller I traded. Now the hard part...waiting for the things to come in!
Matt

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Waiting is always the worst! Make sure you post up pics before you start, we would love to see them! :wink:

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Absolutely!!! The one thats already been sent is comin from Arizona so itll be a couple days dangit lol. I have 2000+ pics from my scale trail running adventures and I enjoy keepin my many rig's build threads up to date so I hope to do the same with these!!!

Matt

66sprint6
Approved Member

Happy Birthday to me!!!

Post by 66sprint6 »

Sittin at work today, my birthday by the way and BOOM, this white box lands on my desk.

Lemme tell you somethin, Im 29 now and birthday gifts still get me excited, but nothin like when you were a little kid you know? As I unwrapped the paper around the package I noticed the box the car was shipped in and for whatever reason, I turned 5 years old again and started tearing into the paper quicker and quicker

Inside the box

Out of the box

Box also had some spare parts and some neat literature inlcuding a printed manual which I had just got done printing myself lol

Everything looks awesome on initial inspection, everthing is smooth and nothing appears to be broken or damaged. It seriously looks like I could toss some electronics in it and go! Im not sure about some of the parts on it, namely the steering and the plate on the rear but Im lookin forward to tearin it apart, givin it a good cleaning and then gettin familiar with the way it goes together.

Needless to say, this was a big surprise for me and made me feel like a kid again. Wasnt expecting it to get here so soon and in such a neat fasion. I guess Im easily amused but hey, made my day!!!

Matt

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Looks like a Losi Ball Bearing Steering system - a great upgrade! The tires really give it a tought look. Looks like a very solid buy - Enjoy!

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Wow, that's a heck of a way to start. And you still have 2 more coming?

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Yep! Two more on the way, altho they are not goin to be in the best of shape but thats ok, this one literally appears to need NOTHING so the others can take all my $$$ :lol:

Matt

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

That thing is bad ass all the way around. That paint scheme and colors look great too. Congratulations. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Right now Ive got the trans apart, not because it wasnt already in great shape but because I wanna learn how this thing works and I also am thinkin bout stripping the body and painting it myself. The wing is pretty much garbage but the body is in great shape!
Matt