Cougar Club 10 Finished!!!

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Cougar Club 10 Finished!!!

Post by Mad Racer »

I bought this Club 10 for around $80 posted I think for parts.

It was advertised that it had a slipper fitted & a few other upgrades so my initial thought was to break it up for parts. Once I got it I thought I should run it just to see what it's like. So I threw a set of cheap shocks on as it had missed matched shocks, A ez run 13t combo & a cheap servo.

Well too my surprise the little club 10 was simple awesome on our loose boodal track. The hard front tires weren't biting too hard which helped on our loose track but this little down graded Club 10 was putting in a performance of it's life. I came home thinking it was simply too good to strip. I played with gearing as much as I could for the 13T brushless but after a few more great runs & everyone saying how well it goes it was saved from being put down. :lol:

I converted the stick pack that went across the chassis to saddle packs, A slightly faster motor to overcome the gearing problems for the brushless. Slightly softer front tires went on the front to give a little more steering. A new Body set was ordered with the wing & sticker set.

This is one of very few cheap cars I bought that just blew me away in it's performance. There was a new spec B4 world at the track and he was telling me the new longer wheel base B4 is so much better. I then decided to compare wheel base of the 2 and to the surprise of all us the little Club 10 has the same W/Base.

Thought I would share that info :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pic's of the Club 10 with my cheap shocks on

Horriable Shell. :roll:

Saddle Pack fitted up & electric's

New shell.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Re: Cougar Club 10 Finished!!!

Post by Jedi Master »

A great result. I love this chassis and had a nitro 21 xtr, which was insane!

Loving what you've done with yours! 8)
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I like the new plain white shell - very classy! 8)

Yes I agree, this chassis is great, simple yet very effective - it also features some neat design touches, I think the front bulkhead & steering arm arrangement is particularly neat.

From what I can remember the Cougar1 layout was very stable & easy to drive. Personally, I prefered the feel of this car's straight arms over the swept front arms off a Cougar2.

Is this example have the belt-drive transmission or the later geared version?

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Very nice :) Just goes to show that all these new +8mm chassis buggys are nothing new :lol: We've just gone full circle and returned to a length that works.

Paul.

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:I like the new plain white shell - very classy! 8)

I thought the geared transmission didn't arrive until the Cougar 2000? Might be wrong though. I had a Cougar 2 and I am sure it had a belt.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

jamin wrote:
DerbyDan wrote:I like the new plain white shell - very classy! 8)

I thought the geared transmission didn't arrive until the Cougar 2000? Might be wrong though. I had a Cougar 2 and I am sure it had a belt.
The Club 10 was a weird use-up-the-leftovers effort from Schumacher... there were two versions, the mk1 which was basically a Cougar1 with alloy oil shocks, turnbuckles, and belt drive... and the mk2 which had plastic shocks, molded steering links, and a plastic, gear drive gearbox.

Nice resto, Mark! Although, you can hardly go wrong with a Cougar....... it's a Schumacher, after all!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Thanks Guys.

It's a belt drive gearbox. The steering & Bulkhead set up is far better then my Top Cat.

The shocks were Alloy red ones but were only on the back & had plastic ones up the front so not sure what it was ment to use. Rear arms & top links have been replaced as well. I did have a few problems with the belt skipping until I got the tension correct. The ball diff is ok for now but the diff nut is stripped so I can't take the the diff apart. I had to add another nylock nut to it to get enough pressure to stop the diff slipping. It's all good for now but once the diff needs a service I'm in trouble.

Yes Alex I have a lot more respect for the Cougar now. A few guys here have even bought some Cougars due to this top little performer.

Is the Chassis differnt to the Top Cat? It seems a little wider at the back maybe to take the battery across the chassis. I couldn't fit the battery up the chassis like the Top Cat. Maybe the bulk head is longer at the front.

Still can't complain as it really goes well. Infact as well as my Losi XX.

Paul the Chassis is longer then the XX so it must have been a long wheel base buggy in it's day but you are right a full circle in chassis lengths.

Cheers
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Mad Racer wrote: Is the Chassis differnt to the Top Cat? It seems a little wider at the back maybe to take the battery across the chassis. I couldn't fit the battery up the chassis like the Top Cat. Maybe the bulk head is longer at the front.
I didn't think there was any difference between the TopCat/Cougar1 & the Club10 chassis dimensionally, apart from the lack of the holes for the laydown shocks.... & the additional holes for the mechanical speedo these cars came with. Your car has the Cougar2/late spec rear bulkhead which seemed to give less clearance for the later/larger Nimh sub C cells (compared with the Nicads that the car was designed for) However slim/low profile LiPo might slide beneath the Cougar 2 bulkhead ok with spacers, for a londitudinal fitment, but have not tried this myself.