Maxxum FF Video Running and Frying electronics

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MrBeno
Approved Member

Maxxum FF Video Running and Frying electronics

Post by MrBeno »

Well I think I finally fried the Novak T1-X or Lemans High Speed Pro motor today.

I took this video today and at the end of running, the car stopped and was smoking. I think it could of been the 3800 MAH Nihma with older electronics?. I adjusted the T1-X to the full power setting. The engine was the hottest part but the Novak was really hot too and same with Battery connections. I really think the smoke was coming from Lemans though and I had no throttle response towards the end.

I would to here anyone's advice on what it could be and if I can rebuild the Lemans motor. I checked the brushes right before today too and they were fine. I will

[youtube]KeE-6p9iGKA&feature[/youtube]

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Maxxum FF Video Running and Frying electronics

Post by Coelacanth »

I doubt it was caused by the battery, that equipment should be able to handle up to 8.4V with no issues. If both ESC & motor were overheating, I imagine your gearing could have been a culprit.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

The mah of a battery is a measurement of capacity. You could have a 7.2v 1500mah battery and a 7.2v 20,000mah and the electronics would not know the difference. I used to run 8.4v hump packs in a lot of my old stuff BITD. Is the drivetrain free and smooth? If so then it was probably just one of the components time. :(
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

lebowski770
Approved Member

Post by lebowski770 »

That's only a 19-turn motor, so either the gearing was off. Or I know this sounds weird but with some of the older battery chargers you can over charge the battery. My piranha peak battery charger once charged my trinity 7.2v NIMH to a woppin 10.4 volts where my orion charger charges it to a 9.35 average. This is when i first got the battery while it did not fry the speed controller it did fry the tamiya connector of the speed controller.

Also did you by any chance have that motor hanging around in a humid area for a while, say like a basement or something? My lemans 05 motor commonly used in the kyosho vintage monster trucks had oxidation built up all over it and would smoke up when i would use it with one of my novak speed controllers, but my other lemans 05 which hardly has any use runs perfectly fine.

MrBeno
Approved Member

Post by MrBeno »

Much thanks for all your advice :)

I looked at the car today and noticed a slight burntmark in the negative lead on the engine which was disconnected after the car stopped. I also just remembered running the car into the grass a bit about a minute or 2 before it stopped. So I am thinking maybe something got caught up in the gear or made the negative engine wire fall off. The battery seems fine now, it charged up.

Also I nought a Tenergy smart charger when I got the battery. The gearing seemed fine too. I also tested the ESC and that was fine today. The other test I did was just to see if the motor would run, so I temporairly put a piece of electrical tape and put the negative wire back in and it seemed to work. But I did not test it for temperature. I am going to solder the negative wire back on and give it another shot of running tommorrow. I will also bring another motor or two just in case.

Photo of the engine where a burnt mark was. I know it looks dirty, I got to clean it again on the outside.

Thanks again all for the replies.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

If you ran on the grass for a minute or two… :shock: that’s most likely the resound why you over heated you gear 8)
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Bad solder joint => more resistance => more heat as current flows => melted solder => disconnection ;)

:?

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

lebowski770
Approved Member

Post by lebowski770 »

No offense, but I would just take that motor to a local hobby shop and have them solder it with their wire and equipment. While you're at it bring the speed controller in and have them look at it for possible re-wiring/ new connectors. They do these kinds of things all the time.

MrBeno
Approved Member

Post by MrBeno »

Thanks again all, I think I soldered job was from when I was 15. I think I may take it to a hobby shop and let them play with it and new wires ect... In the mean time I will stick another motor in there. I will also check the esc and see what they can do. At the same time see if they have any old vintage stuff.

lebowski770
Approved Member

Post by lebowski770 »

Gotta love those old vintage kyosho manuals that say " If you don't have a lot of experience soldering have a friend do it" :roll: