Can this buggy be raced without spending a fortune?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

cautiousone
Approved Member

Can this buggy be raced without spending a fortune?

Post by cautiousone »

Ok, I know this buggy is old and needs a lot of work. But I'm wondering if this buggy could stand a fighting chance at the track running stock? I don't have a fortune to spend on it, funds are very limited on this rebuild project. Any thoughts, suggestions or pointers on whats most important? I would love to race it, but I don't want to be 2 or 3 laps down when it's over. :lol:

RC10talk.com is like a bad accident, I just can't stop looking at it...

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Can this buggy be raced without spending a fortune?

Post by Charlie don't surf »

New front shock tower from towerhobbies, new 10gt rear hubs from towerhobbies, new B2 cvds w3/16 axle, Duratrax front wheels in 2.2, and Thundertiger rear phoenix BX 2 2.2 rear wheels.
IMAG0969.jpg

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

and get you a nice set of bearing supported bell cranks - not 100% needed but will enhance the steering, as long as you switch out the piano wire for a turnbuckle and some ball cups to the steering servo. But it should prove more than capable, and a blast while wheeling at the track!

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

Well I have the shock tower on the way now and I just bought a nice collection of shock springs yesterday from askbob and I plan on rebuilding all 4 shocks. The other parts you recommend seem reasonable enough if I can find them. Also what would be a good battery pack to run, I only have some crap packs right now. And what would you recommend as far as spur and pinon gears running a stock motor? Oh yeah and I don't have a wing, does that make a big difference?

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

drbelleville wrote:and get you a nice set of bearing supported bell cranks - not 100% needed but will enhance the steering, as long as you switch out the piano wire for a turnbuckle and some ball cups to the steering servo. But it should prove more than capable, and a blast while wheeling at the track!
I didn't think about that, but I'm sure that would make a good improvement over whats installed now, thanks...

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I would go with a LiPo which can range from 50-100$ depending on what manufacturer you go with. The wing will helps with rear traction and you should purchase one. They are cheap, and with my experience need to be replaced often, but then again it could be the way I drive.

Good luck and show them what a vintage can do. :D

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Wing Kit ASC6187 if you plan to run the Protech II body or Wing Kit ASC6181 if you plan to run the Viper body :D
-Kevin

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

I will check into a LiPo battery pack, I can spring for a $50.00 pack, I see a Venom 1580 4000mAh 11.1V 3S 20C LIPO w/ Universal Plugs, that any good? Guess I'll need a special charger for that as well? I'll be running the Protech body and thanks for that wing kit #, I'll start looking for one. Thanks for all of the help so far guys, I'm looking forward to showing up with the vintage ride and seeing what it can do...

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

You can source a gens ace lipo for under 50 shipped from Hobbypartz. They also will have modern brushless setups for a lot less than name brands. I had a toro micro ESC which was great and have gens ace lipos in all my cars and they work great.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

ck33
Approved Member

Post by ck33 »

You are walking on a slippery slope... Lipos are cool, but you will need a either a new ESC too or cut-off device to protect against low voltage. Lots of guys on this board run without, but always seems risky to me.

In the same situation, I spent my money on brushless first. Much more consistently fast than brushed motors. I also run 3000 mAh Nimh batteries. You can get them for $20 from Tower. You can spend a few more bucks and get a 3500 or 4000 mAh pack. I went cheap on a charger (for Nimh only), but should have got lipo capability right out of the gate.

Also consider the track you will be running on... Tight indoors course; brushed motor probably OK. Outdoor track with long straightaways; you may need to invest in some ponies.

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

ck33 wrote:You are walking on a slippery slope... Lipos are cool, but you will need a either a new ESC too or cut-off device to protect against low voltage. Lots of guys on this board run without, but always seems risky to me.

In the same situation, I spent my money on brushless first. Much more consistently fast than brushed motors. I also run 3000 mAh Nimh batteries. You can get them for $20 from Tower. You can spend a few more bucks and get a 3500 or 4000 mAh pack. I went cheap on a charger (for Nimh only), but should have got lipo capability right out of the gate.

Also consider the track you will be running on... Tight indoors course; brushed motor probably OK. Outdoor track with long straightaways; you may need to invest in some ponies.
Well that's interesting as I was wondering how my ESC would handle a LiPo battery, but aren't brushless system pretty spendy? I'll be running indoors on a tight track ( Portland Oregon here, land of endless rain ) I'm just looking for a good battery that can stand up to the 5 or 6 minute race time and still have some juice left when it's said and done.

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

ck33 wrote:You are walking on a slippery slope... Lipos are cool, but you will need a either a new ESC too or cut-off device to protect against low voltage. Lots of guys on this board run without, but always seems risky to me.

So I'm looking at these brushless combos now and I really like this setup here - http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcombo-toro18-25a-5050kv.html This seems like a good deal on a brushless combo deal and it can handle the LiPo battery pack as well if I want to invest in that.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

If you're conscious of your lipo and you know it's limitations, then in a race setting you'll be fine. it's people don't pay attention that get themselves into trouble. I ran lipo for years on esc's with no voltage cutoff. Fact of the matter is that you'll be stepping backwards if you invest in new NiMh packs.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

cautiousone wrote:
So I'm looking at these brushless combos now and I really like this setup here - http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcombo-toro18-25a-5050kv.html This seems like a good deal on a brushless combo deal and it can handle the LiPo battery pack as well if I want to invest in that.

that setup is for 18th scale, it wont work in your team car.

cautiousone
Approved Member

Post by cautiousone »

PBR Allstar wrote:
cautiousone wrote:

that setup is for 18th scale, it wont work in your team car.
Oh, well glad I didn't jump in and buy that combo then. And thanks for the info on the LiPo battery. I'm going to invest in one for sure, I just need to figure out where to get a good one at a decent price.