got an old friend back, RC10gt

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: got an old friend back, RC10gt

Post by klavy69 »

no need to buy any more. Just buying some fuel and running the ones I got would be good enuf. Just the tuning would be a bear since most of them have been sitting for a couple years now. They are all clean but most were giving me tuning issues when I put them away so the frustration level will escalate once again when I try to figure out what each needs :?
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

The GT's lookin good there SRT 8)
klavy69 wrote: Oh no...don't do that...you'll get me sidetracked back towards nitro again :| :shock: :mrgreen:
Todd

Ha ha, funny you say that, I just found a pretty nice GT that I was kinda eye-in out.
But man....I haven't ran/owned a nitro in years....Hmmmm but if the guy would take a low-ball offer......
I don't know, I said I'd never go back. (not knocking the nitro, just a personal preference anymore) :)

Midwest_Mudder
Approved Member

Post by Midwest_Mudder »

dave00beer wrote:The GT's lookin good there SRT 8)
klavy69 wrote: Oh no...don't do that...you'll get me sidetracked back towards nitro again :| :shock: :mrgreen:
Todd

Ha ha, funny you say that, I just found a pretty nice GT that I was kinda eye-in out.
But man....I haven't ran/owned a nitro in years....Hmmmm but if the guy would take a low-ball offer......
I don't know, I said I'd never go back. (not knocking the nitro, just a personal preference anymore) :)

you know you want to. whats not to like, you can anger the neighbors, get rid of mosquitos AND drown out those annoying voices that you try so hard to get rid of with way more obvious tactics!
Raised on cornfields.... Killing on Paintball fields... Nebraska Baller Through and Through

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

Midwest_Mudder wrote:you know you want to
:lol: yes I want to
Midwest_Mudder wrote:whats not to like
the frustration level of tuning a car instead of just going out and running it. Time is more important to me the older I get cuz I have less of it :wink:
Midwest_Mudder wrote:you can anger the neighbors
closest neighbor is a mile away so not a problem next house past them is one of the guys I run with every wednesday night so still no problem. Between the 2 of us though we'd have to come up with a runner for the middle neighbor to get him into the action and away from his wife :mrgreen:
Midwest_Mudder wrote:get rid of mosquitos AND drown out those annoying voices that you try so hard to get rid of with way more obvious tactics!
killing the mosquitoes would be a definite plus but the voices in my head just get louder or wait patiently if its too loud to be heard :lol:

on another note though its getting warmer here in IL and within a month we should be running outside again. maybe I'll have to get my first ftgt outta mothballs and hear that mt12 run again...
Todd

Midwest_Mudder
Approved Member

Post by Midwest_Mudder »

klavy69 wrote: :lol: yes I want to
the frustration level of tuning a car instead of just going out and running it. Time is more important to me the older I get cuz I have less of it :wink: closest neighbor is a mile away so not a problem next house past them is one of the guys I run with every wednesday night so still no problem. Between the 2 of us though we'd have to come up with a runner for the middle neighbor to get him into the action and away from his wife :mrgreen: killing the mosquitoes would be a definite plus but the voices in my head just get louder or wait patiently if its too loud to be heard :lol:

on another note though its getting warmer here in IL and within a month we should be running outside again. maybe I'll have to get my first ftgt outta mothballs and hear that mt12 run again...
Todd

epic reply lol. the neighbors at my parents place dont mind. one has a 1/4 scale heli (i think thats the right size) the other is a pyro. The people at my apartment were not happy when i ran the GT down the hallway, that happened to be the night that i also cut the top off a pepsi can, put a hole in the bottom and duct taped the can to the exhaust to see if itd be louder... turns out it was louder but i couldnt get the body on it so i took the can off. i guess thats the kinda crap that you end up doing while in college when you're bored and are either putting off homework or have no homework... we also found that certain bottles of powerade, if you cut both above the label, and right below it, they slide somewhat tightly onto the rear wheels, they make great "drift" tires... we've done some other stupid crap in relation to RC, most of it was done to a jato (i think, its my buddy's). we actually got permission to run it in the gym at the college once, it was fun for awhile, then we left before we acted on any of our stupid plans, like hitting peoples basketballs as they were trying to play.
Raised on cornfields.... Killing on Paintball fields... Nebraska Baller Through and Through

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

ive always maintained you need to be a special kind of crazy to collect vintage rc's but...

took it to the track and discovered that my p/s had too light a pinch, was way down on power so i slipped it under the pit table and left it alone for the day, going to either send it out again or idk what

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

SRTracer121 wrote:ive always maintained you need to be a special kind of crazy to collect vintage rc's but...
:mrgreen:
SRTracer121 wrote:took it to the track and discovered that my p/s had too light a pinch, was way down on power so i slipped it under the pit table and left it alone for the day, going to either send it out again or idk what
who did the pinch for you? What was your indication besides power loss? Could've been too rich on bottom end but would need to know temps to know that for sure...
Todd

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

indication was that after the run during open practice i lost power driving it back to the pits, temped at 200, talked to our tracks "engine guy" and he and i checked it out, both of us agreed that there was no compression, i thought it might have been an air leak (as in, something i did, which was and may still be a very real possibility that'll show up later) but after poping the head off and trying a few things i simply pulled the p/s and realized it had no pinch :oops:

i had it done by os rocket, ive have had a few sets done through them now and have had very good results but we (the club i race with) always send in 10+/- sets at a time, we always send them trough the previously mentioned engine guy and he asked for "light" pinches on all of them because he had had a few that were too tight. wouldnt be a big deal but the set i sent in was overheated almost every run by myself way-back-when i originally owned it and by the last owner so it had no pinch left and the light pinch was too light.

ah well just means i get to play the waiting game for a bit longer. no biggie :mrgreen:

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

wow its been a while. so 2 crap engines and a ton of parts later im rebuilding this thing again. had some carb issues and the car was just all around nasty from racing and playing so it was time for some elbow grease.

car has been a little bit of a pain to work on because ive jacked the thing up but im almost done and its looking good!

my novarossi k12 (cx12 variant) rebuilt every single bit and swapped in a new front bearing (from boca bearings) along with new seals, a new head shim and plug (o.s. lc3).

dont mind the sharpie on the sides of the chassis, i was brain storming a little.

yes i ran out of heat shrink tubing when i rebuilt my cvd's :lol:

here it was before i cleaned it :oops:

never tried to make this a shelfer or even a period correct runner. its just a plain old gt with some "personal touches".

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

finished....

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

lookin like its ready to rock 8) . Good move to the k12. Had one and traded it for a nib mt12 and wish I had it back. Was a great motor for my gt that I ran the snot ouuta :P

Doesn't need to be a period correct anything...would get boring around here if it was all that and no modding :wink:

Todd