272 super sprint

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SRTracer121
Approved Member

272 super sprint

Post by SRTracer121 »

Yes, another beat up vintage car turned pop-riveted, ugly as sin, oval racer

my blue eagle ls was beat, very beat. it had a hard life and i didnt really help if im honest. but the last few weeks before i started this project it had been sitting on the wall clay still sticking on it and justr a sad looking car. i knew what it was capable of, knew it was up to just about any task you could ask of a 2wd offroad car but it had no purpose. it was replaced by another car to run one class, got beat up and hacked as a buggy in the other so it was time for a make over. REDNECK STYLE! :p

so here are some pictures from the buildup

first thing i did was sand and cut down the chassis to fit the desired WB.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/FieroMan121/272%20super%20sprint/DSCN3443.jpg

next i cut down the bulkheads and used a set of nitro hawk throttle servo mounts (along with some other bits and pieces) to rig up the steering. shocks are duratrax gold kyosho look-a-likes (single seal unlike the kyosho dual seal shocks) ae springs (silver and green)

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/FieroMan121/272%20super%20sprint/DSCN3468.jpg

next i drilled holes for and mounted the cage. the gas tank was a son of a gun but ill get to how i rigged it up later

next thing i did was dye all the parts and installed a factory works lxt/blue eagle LS tower (pn 2091) and following suit with the front end i used duratrax gold shocks and for springs i used a set of losi jrx2 front springs (medium/green, pn a-5101)

heres it mostly done. when this picture was taken i still needed to rig up an esc mount, rx mount, batt. tie down system and cut out the body panels.

now fast forward a bit and i wasn't happy with the gas tank portion of the cage [told you id get to it] it brought the whole back of the roll cage and wing up by about half an inch. the wing on its own was way too high up but some of that was also the pre-made lexan mount. so after gnashing my teeth over it for about a week or 2 i figured it out. just had to lower the tank and use different rear bearing carriers. i just so happened to have had some from the srt (binding wouldn't be an issue with slider shafts like it is with the srt's CVD set from MIP) that are for the rustler. after some shimming, camber link fiddling, and 2 new holes in the mint factory works tower that werent there nip it all came together very nicely.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/FieroMan121/272%20super%20sprint/DSCN3613.jpg

the battery stay, esc mount, and rx mount. funny thing about the rx mount, got done doing it and realized that when you plug in the esc and servo to the rx it sticks outside where the body would have been so instead i zip-tied the rx to the cage. *facepalm*

a roller at that point

the body was pretty strait forward with the side panels. just 2 flat pieces with a mild bend in them to wrap around the taper of the front of the chassis, the top panel was a little trickier but nice enough for me

next was the front wing, again, nothing special.

lastly the gas tank [mount]

all painted up

next to the mini sprint

last thing left to do was re-paint the wing a little. there are like 6 other guys with black wings. not my speed. painted it white to match the mini sprint

for gear im running alil ole xl5, trinity chameleon pro 2 (maybe an trinity ultrabird in its future) and im geared 25/84. servo is an old hitec vintage servo. gears are compatible with futaba s3003's but the servo has a bit more speed (though about the same torque) rx is a tactic 2.4 unit.

and now, ACTION SHOTS!!!!

maybe ill put more track shots up later. what do yall think?

thanks for looking.