rc10 questions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jeepjunkie

rc10 questions

Post by jeepjunkie »

hi I'm new to the forum and I'm just starting to get back in to rc cars. 12 years ago i bought a box of rc parts off a friend brought it home and never touched it till the other day. I opened up the box and it looked like its was just a bunch of cheap rc toys, until i got to the bottom and see a gold buggy and a bunch of old electronics. I thought it was pretty cool so i started searching to see what kind it was and came across this forum and found out its a rc10 gold pan A stamped :D Question is I wanna update it with newer electronics but i don't know whats really out there or what parts to put in. I haven't touched and rc car in 12 years so I'm out of the game lol. Im not gonna race it but i am gonna drive it at the local track. I've been reading up on brushless motors so i was thinking of putting that in there. If you guys can just provide me a list of updated electronics to use that would help me out big time. steering servo, esc, motor, transmitters, etc..... thanks for your time i appreciate it :D

proof
Approved Member

Re: rc10 questions

Post by proof »

personnaly i cant help you out in the parts department i just started my build but welcome to the club :wink:
84 rc10 Goldpan (project)
rc12 l4 (project)
Slash 4x4 vxl (sold)
Slash 4x4 vxl platine (sold)
Stampede 4x4 vxl (sold)
Exceed Mad warrior nitro <--GARBAGE (sold)
Crono Prima nitro (sold)

peetbee
Approved Member

Post by peetbee »

Welcome to the club!
What budget do you have in mind, would you be happy with new or secondhand?
Answers to these questions will help with appropriate suggestions.
Also, do any of your current electrics work to just get you up and running?

joel45acp
Approved Member

Post by joel45acp »

I wouldn't waist my time with that junkie car jeepjunkie. Now, listen carefully. I'm going to save you a ton of money and lots of enjoyment. Send that car, along with the electronics to me asap. You can thank me later when you realize all the money you'll save. Trust me. :wink: My address is............. Just yoking with ya. Welcome to the madness.
In Christ,

Joel C.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Depends on what you want to spend. Keep in mind that with more power, other things will need replacing. I've gone through this myself and you really need to do a bunch of things like newer tires and where's suspension, battery etc too. I would recommend the JC Racing wheels on eBay. They fit your existing axles. Also, you should look at RPM front rear arms, available at Tower Hobbies. Newer carbon fibre shock towers at RC Carbon works, a 5000 mah lipo battery and charger at Hobbypartz as well as a Fly sky gt3b radio. Finally, you can pick a new ESC and motor of your choice. I have been having great success with my Castle setups and currently use a 4600 kv with a mamba max pro. Definitely faster than anything you may have had 12 years ago!

I see you have a nice set of buggy wheels and a stealth tranny. Looks like a Champ Edition maybe? If you want to sell those wheels and tires...let me know!

Good luck
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

jeepjunkie

Post by jeepjunkie »

wow thanks for the info guys, I have no idea what i have here but from the sounds of it, its gonna be a good toy :D as for my budget I'm not to concerned with it, i will spend whatever it takes lol new or used parts are good. I want to have it quick, so if i have to change more parts as i go thats fine i can address the problems as they come. I appreciate all the info so far Thanks :D

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

that is an excellent car to start with. Stealth, wide track arms, and losi steering setup.

Clean it all up first and foremost and repair or replace anything that is questionable.

As far as electronics, there is a couple ways to go about this.

you can go very cheaply and look to places like hobbypartz for radios and brushless systems. Or, you can dig around on hobby websites like tower and the like to find something familiar.

If I was starting from scratch with a chassis, I would go with something like this, bear in mind this is a middle of the road, cost driven decision, and may not be your cup of tea, or others may have much better ideas for better cost, or maybe higher cost but better performance.

I would get a radio like this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWPW0&P=ML

I've got this radio for my son's grasshopper and it works well. no antenna wire on the receiver either! The receivers are cheap so I bought another and have that in one of my cars too. Radio is a little light and cheap feeling, but it works fine.

this is standard servo:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVW07&P=ML

servos are like opinions. everyone has a favorite. not quite sure what is state of the art that is cost effective, but this is a start.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Associated-SC700-BL-Brushless-ESC-Speed-Control-Reedy-3300Kv-540R-Motor-/140657052252?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bfd04a5c

these are all over ebay and the standard associated RTR brushless systems. I figure if they are associated, it's reasonable enough to expect they will work well and have a decent customer service.

for a lipo, that is where your overseas places will be very cost effective. something like this will work really well, and then you also need a charger.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-2s1p-hardcase-direct.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

TONS of other options, but at least this gives you some idea and specs to compare with. ENJOY!

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I agree with all the parts mentioned earlier and can say that the TowerHobbies radio works great. When it comes to batteries, you can not beat a good LiPo. I am running a 5000mHa 40C Venom and a 3800mHa 60C Xcelerion, each one cost about $80.00.

Welcome to the board. I have yet to see a question these guys cannot answer.

ED

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

jwscab wrote:for a lipo, that is where your overseas places will be very cost effective. something like this will work really well, and then you also need a charger.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-4000-2s1p-hardcase-direct.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
FWIW, HobbyPartz is in Southern California, they just order from China :)

Good start to a racer, get modern rubber on it and have a blast at the track. Rebuild the shocks, clean it all up, toss in your favorite electronics (jwscab has great links) and let 'er rip.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

CUDDZILLA
Approved Member

Post by CUDDZILLA »

I'm new to this forum. Can someone either answer a question or point me to the right thread?

I need wheels/tires for a few RC10 builds. So far what I've seen on Ebay isn't worth buying.

Do any modern manufacturers make RC10 wheels/tires? What size tires fit the original wheels?

Thanks for your time. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

CUDDZILLA wrote:I'm new to this forum. Can someone either answer a question or point me to the right thread?

I need wheels/tires for a few RC10 builds. So far what I've seen on Ebay isn't worth buying.

Do any modern manufacturers make RC10 wheels/tires? What size tires fit the original wheels?

Thanks for your time. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

This should give you some ideas.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=8848

CUDDZILLA
Approved Member

Post by CUDDZILLA »

Outstanding! Thank you soniccj5!!! Much appreciated! You folks here at rc10talk.com are incredible! Thank you!