New Traxxas XO-1

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vwjuice
Approved Member

New Traxxas XO-1

Post by vwjuice »

This new car looks pretty cool. 0-100mph in 5 seconds? That's fast. Lots of cool features in it also. molded in cooling ductwork for the motor, the builtin holder on the radio for an iphone so you have telemetry readout that looks like guages on your iphone. Pretty cool

[youtube]sbeEMerJYWk[/youtube]

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: New Traxxas XO-1

Post by Coelacanth »

That'd be just great---for anybody who happens to own or live near a dragstrip or 1:1 race-track! :lol: :roll:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

hahaha. You could gear it down for the streets, but I use to run my old nitro RS4 at kmart during the summer after they closed. It was a big empty parking lot and I could let it fly. It wouldn't be hard to find a place to run.

Funny you said dragcar. The speculation was that they were going to release a dragcar. The logo on Traxxas's website was a large X. John Force had announced last week(?) that he has a new sponsor next year that is new to the drag racing world. The logo Traxxas had on their website looked just like the John Force logo. Traxxas is entering all forms of motorsports lately so who knows, maybe they will make a drag car.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

vwjuice wrote:It wouldn't be hard to find a place to run.
Hmm, I think you'd have trouble finding a place to run an RC car capable of hitting 100 mph in 5 seconds. That's like me trying to drag-race my Grand National in a K-Mart parking lot...only in 1/10 the size. :shock: That's not just fast, it's rather dangerous. A car like this will be an outright weapon in some kid's hands.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool and the car looks sweet, but you're gonna need some major real-estate to drive this bomb safely.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Coelacanth wrote:That's not just fast, it's rather dangerous. A car like this will be an outright weapon in some kid's hands.
I was thinking the same thing this morning... put this car into the typical Traxxas yahoo's hands, and evacuate the area!!
Aren't they thinking of making it so RC pilots need some sort of license? I wouldn't at all be surprised if we hear something in the future about something this heavy/fast.

Still, I'd totally love to try one out!

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

I think its a poor offering, and irresponsible of Traxxas. Most people wouldn't have anywhere to run it. Most places wouldn't be safe to run it. And very few people have the ability to control an RC car at 100mph. Traxxas want to see people 'attempt' to get this thing flat out, knowing they'll smash it up and end up paying out a fortune on repairs. The whole point of a 'model' car is that its A MODEL!!! enabling people to enjoy the control element on a much smaller scale and slower speed. If you want to control something doing 100mph, then buy a car/bike and get on a drag strip!!!

How many adults would let any child loose with a 100mph weapon?

'Experts Only'...?? Experts would not even consider this....... :!:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I get what you guys are saying. It very easily could be dangerous with any kind of inexperienced driver at the wheel. The kmart parking lot I ran at was a kmart and a furniture store lot combined. It was about 700-800ft in length and with the two speeds on the nitro car and a .18 engine I had several runs that hit 80mph and I held it for a few seconds before running out of room, then make a large sweeping turn at 60 and hit the speed again. I know what speed I was running, because there was a few of us that ran our rc cars there and one of the guys was a police officer. He use to bring his radar gun down and get speeds. We had one guy that hit 90 in his thunder tiger car with a three speed in it. Pretty cool stuff, but one mistake and the cars would get airborne and break apart upon landing. :lol:

liquidrc.com

Post by liquidrc.com »

Traxxas says right on the box that the car could be lethal:

https://twitter.com/#!/liquidrc/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FS75srJkL

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

liquidrc.com wrote:Traxxas says right on the box that the car could be lethal:

https://twitter.com/#!/liquidrc/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2FS75srJkL
I think the much more important parts of that warning are hardly the LiPo fire/explosion hazard warnings, but the parts you can only barely make out on the left & bottom parts of the box; i.e. the parts I indicated in red (click to see the magnified image):
TraxxasWarning.jpg
"racetrack or dragstrip" anyone? Wow, my initial comment was almost psychic!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Wow - regardless of what the end user will do with this car, that is really really cool. I'd want one just to boot it around my street :mrgreen:

Well actually - I can't imagine anywhere that you'd be able to use this safely other than a big big parking lot.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

I think that what Kevin said in the video is also a key point. At low speeds this thing will have crap handling as it has no grip. Only when it gets up to a decent speed will the aero's work to 'suck it to the ground' and let you really give it some throttle. So, it seems like an all or nothing kinda deal to me. And I can think of lots of better ways to hit 100mph. Any 'expert only' qualified RC hobbyist would simply run a 1/8 on-road nitro with a decent lola shell on it, which would handle very well at any speed, with plenty of grip from foam tyres and no hi-amp electrics to worry about.

Sorry Traxxas, if you're trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the 'expert only' RCer, then try again. The Spartan/Titan model boat was your last attempt at challenging the high end market, and you failed miserably with that piece of under-specced junk...... :lol:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

:?
I like it!

But, oof! :shock: ..it's definately a weapon in the wrong hands...

Let's hope the Redneck's that can actually read don't let their kids drive this thing...anywhere.

For only $1100 bucks on eBag...one can be all yours!
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

the danger part is defitely a real thing. One of the LHS we had a couple years ago set up track in an old grocery store parking lot. With nothing but a yellow tape keeping you off the track. Sooo, if you hit a cone just right you were up on your lexan sliding across the lot if you missed any of the spectators that were always lined up along the 'tape' wall. During TC I'd take my daughter and head to the curb so we had some protection. Would hate to see what some of the morons there would do with one of these :roll: . Its a cool idea in my mind but like mentioned above a little redonkulous on the price for such a specialized car.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

You guys need to check out the Traxxas forum for this one! All the kids there are more concerned about the important stuff. Like the fact that it's BS to need an Apple product to unlock the full (100m.p.h.) potential of the car. They're not wasting their time worrying about injuring someone while they're running it in front of their house while watching the speedo and temp guages. :roll: :shock: :lol:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

klavy69 wrote:Would hate to see what some of the morons there would do with one of these :roll: .
went thru and re-read my own post and wanted to clarify. I wasn't aiming and anyone here or in general but mostly at the guys that pretty much shut down the racing there. Had a couple of real troublemakers (morons) that ruined it there...another story for another time :wink: .

Continue on with your regular programming :)
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!